Windows 10: Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name

Discus and support Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Annoying detail on my Windows 10 PC. I have a System Name: AL-OFFICE-FLORI and a user name of AL-OFFICE-FLORI/agude as displayed on the System... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Aguden, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Aguden Win User

Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name

Annoying detail on my Windows 10 PC. I have a System Name: AL-OFFICE-FLORI and a user name of AL-OFFICE-FLORI/agude as displayed on the System Information page. On the System Properties page, the PC Name is Al-Office-Florida.

I sure would like to end up with a System Name of "Al-Office-Florida" and a user name of "" but I am have no idea about how to get there. I am assuming that the System name isn't too long since I have a longer name on another PC on the network.

I think that maybe for the username I could add and then make that an admin. Then delete the agude. Unsure about that or even where to start to change the system name.

:)

Aguden, Aug 28, 2016

2. Name change in Windows 10

My computer names are correct, but they don't match my MS Account Names. How do I change the names in the MS Account so they match the PC Names assigned to each system?

DinkorSink, Aug 28, 2016
  3. ParkBench Win User
    How do I change the user account name when it is linked to a Microsoft account?

I created an administrator account using my Microsoft account (actually in W8.1 prior to installing W10).

The account name on the PC is different from the one on my Microsoft Account - weird. How can I edit the on one on my PC to match the Microsoft account name? (Not least so that it matches the name on my home server account).

There is no 'change user name' function when I try to edit on Control Panel.

Any ideas?

ParkBench, Aug 28, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, Aug 28, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    @Aguden ... Mine is setup through a Microsoft Account, so it assigns the first 5 characters as the internal or "local" account name. You can go to your Account Management online and edit the "display" name you would like to see. Although the directories will remain as the internal name ("C:\Users\dhubb" in my case..."C:\Users\agude" in your case), the display name will be whatever you choose....

Here are some examples.

I went to my Account online and edited the display name:

Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name [​IMG]

The internal name stayed the same.

The display name shows what I changed it to.

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing System Name and User Name to match PC Name - Similar Threads - Changing System Name

2. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change user name PC: Hi,I am signed in with my microsoft account but my PC greets me as 'user'. Can't find a way to change it. My microsoft account on gteh web shows my correct name but my PC does not. How do I change my account name on my PC?...
  3. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change user name PC: Hi,I am signed in with my microsoft account but my PC greets me as 'user'. Can't find a way to change it. My microsoft account on gteh web shows my correct name but my PC does not. How do I change my account name on my PC?...
  4. change user name PC

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  6. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  7. Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 users folder name does not match Users name!!: I just installed Windows 11 on a fresh install after installing various apps I noticed that my User folder name has decided to chose part of my real name which I never use!.I chose Daz as a login name but Windows thought it would name my folder darre which is obviously not my...
  8. Name not match

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Name not match: [ATTACH] Just happened to see Event Viewer and drove me to this. That WD20 is 2TB storage that have error in Event Viewer. submitted by /u/hhaziq98 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghyjcm/name_not_match/
  9. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  10. Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change user name on c drive to match administrator name.: I just bought a new laptop as the hard drive on my old one died. It had two users, “John” and “Jane”. The computer store where I bought the new laptop named it John, but I want it to be Jane. I changed the administrator name to Jane and that works, however when I go to c...