Windows 10: Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU

Discus and support Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yet another reason to spurn the Creator's Update ... which ought be called Destroyer's Downgrade. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drfsupercenter, May 31, 2017.

1. Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU

Yet another reason to spurn the Creator's Update ... which ought be called Destroyer's Downgrade.

margrave55, Aug 16, 2017
  2. Kari Win User

You must be proud of yourself, coming up with such a clever name. "Destroyer's Downgrade". I'm sure you have tweeted it and posted it on FB already, to be cool *Smile

That being said, I clean install Windows 10 at least a few times a day, both on physical hardware and virtual machines. I am a tester to the core of my being, I can't even remember when was the last day I did not install Windows.

As told earlier in this thread, I need to change current time and / or time zone almost every time, back and forward. Because I do it as recommended, with network connected when installing, not disabling essential services and changing time zone when booted on desktop, I have never (I repeat: never!) seen this to happen, not even heard about it not counting you two users in this thread.

If a user chooses not to follow installation instructions, disables everything, and then blames Windows for something failing, it's quite obvious who's to blame. The issues with set time and time zones really do not happen, it being a user caused issue.

3. Ok, I can confirm. This is a newly installed Windows from official ISO created from the media creation tool. I had to wait 12 hours to be able to "use" the Start Menu again. This is a known bug, the only solution is patience (or the other stuff mention by OP). I recommend after installing Windows to immediately change your clock to your proper local time to minimize waiting and don't customize your start menu until then.

As for what Kari said above, I have installed, reinstalled and used Windows for more than a decade and I just encountered this bug for the first time yesterday. I also tried doing it on a VM, ALL DEFAULTS UNTOUCHED SETTINGS DURING INSTALLATION and the bug still persist, so it's not about NOT following instructions, it's most likely the cause of a different factor that we know nothing about and I can confirm that this bug only happens using the Windows Creator ISO, I tried using a previous ISO that I had on a virtual machine and on a spare laptop and I did not encounter this frustrating bug.

Only from using the newest ISO that I encountered this bug, so I can confirm that this bug is from Creator's Update. I had reinstalled Windows and had to change the clock EVERYTIME before, but like I said, this bug happened to me just yesterday after clean installing Windows using the latest ISO.

PS: Kari, what you said about user "disabling everything and not following instruction" seems like an idiotic statement. Why would Microsoft give you an option to disable stuff and customize your installation if using it will break Windows?

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU :p

casshern008, Aug 16, 2017
  4. Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU

Also, as stated earlier, I did the same thing with "express settings" and not disabling anything, the same problem happens.

The cause is just if you change your clock or timezone after installing. If you are online during setup, it will usually detect your location and then sync with a NTP server (USUALLY), but even then there's no guarantee it will be accurate - what about people in coffee shops or those using mobile hotspots? Where the Wi-Fi location isn't accurate? I've seen it where it can't detect my timezone, so it just defaults to GMT-8 and syncs with NTP.

All things considered, you really don't *need* an Internet connection to install Windows, why else would they even offer ISOs? (Or the install creator which uses a USB drive, same idea). There are a myriad of reasons why you might not want to - or even if you do, what if your workplace has a firewall that prevents the default NTP from working?

My point is that this is clearly a weird bug/glitch with the Creator's Update where the start menu freaks out if you change the time, and it wasn't like that in earlier builds. I'm willing to overlook this as just a bug/glitch, surely it wasn't intentional, but trying to claim it's "not actually a problem" and somehow insinuating that I'm doing something wrong is unnecessary.

drfsupercenter, Aug 16, 2017
  5. Spot on.
    How can changing the clock be forbidden?
    How can that be the user's fault?
    And how does "it didn't happen to me" imply that "it's the user's fault"?
    Bugs are bugs. Let's not defend them.

margrave55, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU

1. Changing system time completely breaks start menu functionality on CU - Similar Threads - Changing system completely

2. Lost start menu function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost start menu function: Keep clicking on start menu but it will not open. I tried to use the shortcut key on the keyboard and it is still the same. How can I open it? I have Windows 10 Acer laptop and it is working yesterday....
  3. Lost start menu function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost start menu function: Keep clicking on start menu but it will not open. I tried to use the shortcut key on the keyboard and it is still the same. How can I open it? I have Windows 10 Acer laptop and it is working yesterday....
  4. Windows start menu keeps breaking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu keeps breaking: From time to time the Windows start menu will become unresponsive. I’ve run sfc/scannow, as well as DISM. Neither finds any issues and the only thing that seems to fix it is a restart or restarting the Windows Explorer service. I’m one version behind the May release, but I’m...
  5. Start menu not functioning

Start menu not functioning: I recently built a new PC and installed windows 10 on it. However, whenever the windows key or logo in the bottom left of the screen is clicked, the search bar disappears and nothing else happens....
  6. start menu and taskbar is not functioning

start menu and taskbar is not functioning: what should I do to fix the start menu and taskbar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-taskbar-is-not-functioning/83811cce-2f9b-43de-9a33-7036cdec4a22
  7. Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 1709 - December 11th CU Patch Breaks Settings Button in Start Menu: After installing the KB4471329 yesterday, I found the Setting gear inside the Start Menu no longer does anything. I am able to launch Settings from the All Settings button down by the clock, but that's it. I've run the following commands in an attempt to get it to work:...
  8. Start menu functions

Start menu functions: I'm running latest version of Windows 10. After a recent update the "Search" option in the Start button doesn't work. Also I've discovered that the "Command Prompt" and "Command Prompt (Admin)" don't work. I've looked around to try and reinstall the start menu but without...
  9. Superfetch breaking start menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch breaking start menu: Hi all, Just made this account to see if anyone can help. I am running windows 10 on my desktop and the start menu broke on me. I did all the recommended fixes for it and that seemed to work for a few days then every time I would completely power down my desktop, the next...
  10. Start Menu not functioning

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not functioning: Hi,Im Fatcat from Asia. Just installed Win 10 Ent. Found out that Start Menu which contains few functions refused to work - every time I click the items, it wont execute...please refer to the image. regards. [img] 22569