Windows 10: Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand?

Discus and support Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I'm used to clicking a single icon (no text) shortcut to open a browser for example, and then a new window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Soltaro, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Soltaro Win User

Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand?

Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.
    I'm used to clicking a single icon (no text) shortcut to open a browser for example, and then a new window opens as well as a new taskbar window.

In Windows 10 however it seems the shortcut icon simple expands with text and becomes 'active'.
    Is there a way around this and do it like Windows 7 did?
    (I already disabled the Combine Taskbar setting btw)

:)

Soltaro, Dec 5, 2017

2. Change taskbar icon?

You can change the icons for Pinned taskbar shortcuts from this folder:

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

(Type that in Explorer address bar, or Run dialog.)

For Windows installer shortcuts the target can't be changed. In that case, you need to delete the existing shortcut and create a new shortcut for that program manually, and then Pin it to Taskbar.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 5, 2017
  3. Ed1-US Win User
    Icon missing from Shortcut in Taskbar

I want to have a shortcut button on the Taskbar to open the Control Panel. I added a Control Panel shortcut to the Desktop and dragged it to the Taskbar. That created a Control Panel button/shortcut on the Taskbar, but the button/shortcut has no icon -
    it is just blank.

I have set the Taskbar setting for "Combine Taskbar buttons" to "Always, hide labels". If I change this setting to show the labels, the label for this Taskbar shortcut includes a small Control Panel icon. But it disappears when the setting is changed back
    to hide labels.

My other buttons/shortcuts in the Taskbar and in the Notification area all have appropriate icons.

How can I get an icon for the Control Panel in the Taskbar? I did have one displaying properly until I reset Windows 10.

Ed1-US, Dec 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Clicking a shortcut pinned to the taskbar opens the program and hovering over the taskbar shortcut displays a thumbnail preview for me, if that's what you're referring to- but I'm still using build 1703. You may have 1709.

dalchina, Dec 8, 2017
  5. No, I liked it that way as well, but unfortunately, there is no way back, they call making things complicated a progress. *Sad

TairikuOkami, Dec 8, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    7+ Taskbar Tweaker does the job if you want to run a 3rd party utility. (will run portable)

Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing Taskbar: Shortcuts that don't expand? - Similar Threads - Changing Taskbar Shortcuts

2. I cannot expand the Date / Time on the taskbar or expand the action center.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot expand the Date / Time on the taskbar or expand the action center.: Hi:My windows build is: Version: 10.0.19041.844and I cannot expand the date and time on the taskbar since June 2, 2022 or see any notification items on the action center lower right corner. I see a number of actions that varies throughout the day, but no popups when a new one...
  3. I cannot expand the Date / Time on the taskbar or expand the action center.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot expand the Date / Time on the taskbar or expand the action center.: Hi:My windows build is: Version: 10.0.19041.844and I cannot expand the date and time on the taskbar since June 2, 2022 or see any notification items on the action center lower right corner. I see a number of actions that varies throughout the day, but no popups when a new one...
  4. Taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar shortcuts: Hey so I'm trying to pin the download folder to the taskbar, and everytime I do, it pins inside the list of the File explorer, I know I could separately pin them individually side by side in the taskbar but now I can't for some reason, any help is appreciated submitted by...
  5. Help with Startisback taskbar shortcuts expanding to fill entire bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Startisback taskbar shortcuts expanding to fill entire bar: Hi, I'm looking for support with Startisback in Windows 10. I haven't found any references online on existing threads. I just installed a custom theme with SecureUxTheme (Nord theme) along Startisback on a new machine. When Startisback is active, though, I get this weird...
  6. Is this possible without 3rd party apps? Taskbar folder of shortcuts that expands with...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is this possible without 3rd party apps? Taskbar folder of shortcuts that expands with...: Is this possible without apps? Taskbar folder of shortcuts that expands with icons. Similar to Windows Toolbars. But instead of the double lines separator and having to click the little >> to expand a list of tiny icons. I want a single Icon with no arrows, on the Taskbar...
  7. Win10 Taskbar Expanding Icon Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 Taskbar Expanding Icon Folder: Hey all - curious if anyone knows of a program that would allow you to create an expandable folder/list from an icon pinned to the taskbar that you could drop program shortcuts to. similar in functionality to mobile OS folders, hopefully with left-click functions. 140539
  8. Taskbar expands and vibrates.

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar expands and vibrates.: Using Windows 10 laptop When booting up after overnight power off, but also through the day the taskbar expands upward and vibrates. It occurs spontaneously and may last many minutes or hours. I tried but cannot add attachment which shows how it is transparent and pixilated...
  9. Shortcuts don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts don't work: Hi, for some reason my shortcuts don't connect but I haven't changed anything. How can I fix this?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcuts-dont-work/67e2dd11-ef76-46fa-96e6-42e746c515d4
  10. shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts don't work on start or taskbar: Just installed Windows 10 - totally successful BUT: no shortcuts/links work in start menu, desktop or taskbar except for links to modern UI apps. Even weirder - shortcuts work if palced in saem directory as the target file/exe but not if then moved elsewhere, like desktop....