Windows 10: Changing This PC folder icons.

Discus and support Changing This PC folder icons. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Everyone is quick to remove the folders there, so instead of doing that this time, I decided to change the icons. [img] I had wrote a reg file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DTG1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. DTG1 Win User

Changing This PC folder icons.

Everyone is quick to remove the folders there, so instead of doing that this time, I decided to change the icons.

Changing This PC folder icons. [​IMG]

I had wrote a reg file to do the merging, but..., and not too surprisingly, those pesky windows Permissions got in the way. So, needless to say having to go to each key and take ownership and change inheritance can be a bit annoying. However, once those are done it is easier to change those icons anytime just by editing the .reg file and merge it.

This is not easy, make sure you back up your registry before starting.

First step is to take ownership for the DefaultIcon sub-key only, change to your Admin account. In the same window, find and click "disable inheritance" and click this option:
    If you accidentally click the other option (Remove all...), the permissions entries window will empty everything, make sure you hit CANCEL asap. If you hit OK you will have to manually re-enter all of them by copying that same permissions from other DefaultIcon sub-keys, a real PITA. *Mad

After thats all done, you can change the icons as you see fit. *Cool

Exporting a key will show that it uses (prefers to use?) Hexadecimal. Easy enough to deal with.

First choose your icons and copy the path (ex. D:\Icons\Music Note 2.ico). Browse over to this Hex conversion website
    and paste the path and convert. You see this returned:
    Code: 44 3a 5c 49 63 6f 6e 73 5c 4d 75 73 69 63 20 4e 6f 74 65 20 32 2e 69 63 6f 0d 0a[/quote] The registry uses a different format so you have to add all the comma's(,) and 00's. When you examine the export key you notice there are 3 sets of 00's (its an ending sequence) those have to be there too.

The example is for the Music Folder.

Code: !(Desktop) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\DefaultIcon] !(Documents) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}\DefaultIcon] !(Documents) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af}\DefaultIcon] !(Downloads) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f}\DefaultIcon] !(Downloads) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}\DefaultIcon] !(Music) D:\Icons\Music Note 2.ico [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}\DefaultIcon] @=hex(2) :44,00,3a,00,5c,00,49,00,63,00,6f,00,6e,00,73,00,5c,00,\ 4d 75 73 69 63 20 4e 6f 74 65 20 32 2e 69 63 6f 0d 0a 0d 0a 0d 0a 0d 0a !(Music) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}\DefaultIcon] !(Pictures) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}\DefaultIcon] !(Pictures) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{3ADD1653-EB32-4cb0-BBD7-DFA0ABB5ACCA}\DefaultIcon] !(Videos) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{A0953C92-50DC-43bf-BE83-3742FED03C9C}\DefaultIcon] !(Videos) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a}\DefaultIcon] a[/quote]
    I dont know if the registry will accept a text over hexadecimal here, I didnt try. This works for me, it maybe different for someone else.

If anyone wants to convert this and add it to the Tuturial Forum, send me a link if you do.*Smile

(BTW renaming those icons was fun too *Zip )

:)

2. Folder view is changed everytime

I was changed the folder view option to 'Thumbnails', then I was open a folder and return to the original folder, the folder view is automatically changed to 'Detailed view'. Again I changed to Thumbnails, but the view is automatically change to detailed
    view.

And also I was change my desktop icons to 'Small Icons', but when I restart or shutdown and start, the icons are changed to 'Large Icons'. It was happen after I was access a external hard disk in pc. After that I was check my pc and the antivirus detect
    the virus and remove that virus. But the problem is still ongoing. Please help me.

Melbin Mathai, Aug 18, 2015
  3. ALL FOLDER ICONS REPLACED to the DEFAULT VALUE after copy to an other place

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Folder’s ICON changed after copy/paste to the ICON Default value (new test results):

Drag a Folder from a place to another in the same PC Device (e.g. Drive C to Drive C):

The Folder Icon stays unchanged

Drag a Folder from a place to another between 2 Devices in the same PC (e.g. Drive C to Drive D):
    The Folder Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

Drag a Folder from a place to another between 2 Devices : one PC internal (e.g. Drive C)
    to one PC external (e.g. USB Drive F) : The Folder's Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

Drag a Folder from a place to another between 2 Folders of the same external Hard Disk (e.g. Drive H Seagate Expansion) : The Folder's Icon stays unchanged

Copy & Paste a Folder from a place to another between 2 Folders of the same external Hard Disk (e.g. Drive H Seagate Expansion) : The Folder's Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

This case (Copy & Paste) from a place to another occurs for all tested cases (irrespective to the type of the origin and destination): The Folder's Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

Regards,

MEIR

meireinschenk, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

Changing This PC folder icons.

1. Changing This PC folder icons. - Similar Threads - Changing folder icons

2. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  3. Change Icon in Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Icon in Folder: Hello everyone, recently I tried moving my videos folder to another drive and that ended up changing the icon of that drive, when I try to change it back it doesn't give me the option to change it, can anyone help me? I am on Windows 11. Thanks*** Moved from Spanish Forum ***...
  4. Changing the folder icons present on This PC.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the folder icons present on This PC.: How can I change the icons of these folder in This PC, I can't change them like the other files by clicking on them....... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-folder-icons-present-on-this-pc/d66b63ef-3195-4e85-a9df-7a3c7df3dd31
  5. Can't change folder icon.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change folder icon.: In every tutorial it says to change the folder icon I have to go to properties>customize>change icon>browse>ok>ok I do that and then it just doesn't change. Yes, I used a .ioc file. Edit: forgot to mention, it works if I use the default icons. Please help if you know...
  6. Can't change folder icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change folder icon: I'm trying to change the icon for one of my quick access folders, but every time I choose my icon and click OK the icon doesn't change. I've tried restarting, doesn't work. Changing other folder icons seems to work fine, it's just this one that won't change for some reason....
  7. Change "New Folder" Icon

Change "New Folder" Icon: Hello, i would like to know if it's possible to change the icon of the default yellow folder on windows 10. I know that after you create a new folder you can go to propreties and change it, but my question is if you can change the default icon to your own icon and be able to...
  8. Can't change folder icon

Can't change folder icon: [ATTACH] This is the problem I'm having. I want to change all these icons but I can't. The box is greyed out and I have no found any forum post of youtube video with this issue. Please help....
  9. Change folder icon

Change folder icon: Hi, I wrote a batch script to set a custom icon to folders: ECHO [.ShellClassInfo]>%1\desktop.in_ ECHO IconResource=C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll,22>>%1\desktop.in_ move %1\desktop.in_ %1\desktop.ini attrib +S +H %1\desktop.ini The desktop.ini it produces is...
  10. Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10: How to: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 How to Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10 The This PC window in File Explorer includes a Folders group that displays a linked Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos folder from...