Windows 10: Changing user at startup

Discus and support Changing user at startup in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I attempted to login as Administrator unsuccessfully. I did a hard reboot but no am automatically logged as Administrator, unsuccessfully, of course.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by adam1951, Dec 7, 2017.

1. adam1951 Win User

Changing user at startup

I attempted to login as Administrator unsuccessfully. I did a hard reboot but no am automatically logged as Administrator, unsuccessfully, of course.

If I see alternate users, it flashes quickly.

How can return to my normal user login?

:)

adam1951, Dec 7, 2017

2. Changing user account at startup

I've been running Windows 10 for some time and have the most recent version.

Recently, I attempted to log into my Administrator account but my log in was never completed due to an incorrect password..

When I rebooted, my PC tries to auto log in to my Administrator account with my apparently incorrect password; the log in process never succeeds and simply goes on and on.

I wish to switch the login to my User acccount, but never am given the option to switch users.

At times, I see the other user accounts listed, but they disappear before I can select an alternate User account.

I've tried holding down the shift button when the log in screen appears, but without success.

Two questions:

How do I bypass the auto login of my Administrator account

And once I get back into my User Account, how do I change the Administrator password.

thanks

DouglasDrake1, Dec 7, 2017
  3. Changing user account at startup

Did you take some steps to make it automatically login? That's available but it's not default and you usually have to make very specific changes to make it do that.

But unfortunately anything I could suggest would require that you login first, so we may be at a point where you need to use recovery mode (such as by booting up by USB stick or CD disc), possibly even a factory reset.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 7, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Changing user at startup

Welcome to TenForums @adam1951

Windows automatically tries to log you in at boot as the last user that was signed in. If that user has a password it stops at the password prompt where you'd have a chance to choose another user to sign in as. If (like Administrator) it has no password it goes straight in.

All you have to do is sign out from Administrator. Then you can sign back in using another account. That will then become the account that Windows will offer for you to sign in to at next boot.

*Arrow Sign out of Windows 10

Bree, Dec 7, 2017
  5. adam1951 Win User
    But the Administrator login never completes

adam1951, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Changing user at startup

1. Changing user at startup - Similar Threads - Changing user startup

2. how to change user at windows 10 startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how to change user at windows 10 startup: how to change user at windows 10 startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-at-windows-10-startup/fa1d9c85-7cc0-4753-a075-e40aa0b738a0
  3. how to change user at windows 10 startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to change user at windows 10 startup: how to change user at windows 10 startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-user-at-windows-10-startup/fa1d9c85-7cc0-4753-a075-e40aa0b738a0
  4. how to change user at windows 10 startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. switching users on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching users on startup: I can no longer switch user on my pc. I don't know what happen and I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-users-on-startup/b4967956-2429-40b0-8a86-f10d3748845f
  6. switching users on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    switching users on startup: I can no longer switch user on my pc. I don't know what happen and I need help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-users-on-startup/b4967956-2429-40b0-8a86-f10d3748845f
  7. switching users on startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    switching users on startup: I can no longer switch users on my pc, I've tried everything I could think of, from checking BIOS to running system scans to making sure he has admin privileges through regedit. PLEASE HELP...
  8. How To Change User Account When Startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How To Change User Account When Startup: Hi. I have a question. My computer have 2 user account, 1 is administrator and another is standard account. Lets say i have user A and user B So, when im booting into windows, Windows automatically boot into the last opened user account. Example: when i working in user A,...
  9. Change startup application from all users to myself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change startup application from all users to myself: Greetings, There is an application which is starting automatically for all users, and I would like to change it to start only for me. I think I may have found the application here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run I thought I...
  10. Startup user is not in user list

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Startup user is not in user list: At startup Win 10 quickly goes to a user and says "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again". I click OK and then select the proper user from a list on the left of the screen, then click "Sign In" and everything is fine. That first user is not in my list of users....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Changing default user at startup windows 1809