Windows 10: Cheap solution for failover to 3G Internet?

Discus and support Cheap solution for failover to 3G Internet? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Occasionally my Internet connection goes down for 30 seconds to a few minutes and occasionally longer than that but I'd like to maintain a connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by THX1138, Feb 2, 2018.

1. THX1138 Win User

Cheap solution for failover to 3G Internet?

Occasionally my Internet connection goes down for 30 seconds to a few minutes and occasionally longer than that but I'd like to maintain a connection to the Internet 24/7 for a few specific programs. Would it be possible to connect a 3G mobile data USB adapter to my PC which in the event of a disconnection of my ADSL will route data through the 3G connection for a few specific programs and at the same time permit another computer connected to the same router to access the Internet via this 3G connection? Thanks!

My router is an Asus DSL-N14U-B1 - it does have a USB port which can be connected to a USB 3G modem but I don't think I can control what traffic goes through it and it would get very expensive if I was streaming video and my ADSL connection went down. I also think you have to manually switch between ADSL and using the 3G modem whilst I want this to function even when I'm not around.

Cheap solution for failover to 3G Internet? [​IMG]

:)

THX1138, Feb 2, 2018
  2. mikedigi Win User

Lightest 3G mobile? Lighter than C2-01?

I have a Lumia 520, but for everyday use I am looking for a cheap, simple, ultralight 3G mobile.

The Samsung E1200 is 65 grammes but is 2G. The Nokia C2-01 is 3G and cheap but is considerably heavier at 88 grammes.

Can anyone recommend a lighter 3G mobile, please - any make?

Mike

mikedigi, Feb 2, 2018
  3. Nokia ExpressMusic 5800 3G conectivity Problem

Hello, please help me I bought a Tube this week, I use the cel with ATT and it can't connect with the 3G network, only conected with EDGE, I'm frustrated because my old and cheap phone can connect with 3G and this nokia fails, If anybody has the solution
    please let me know, I'll be thankfull for your help...

sammy777---01, Feb 2, 2018
  4. Barman58 Win User

Have not done any of this sort of tweaking on Ten but I think it should be possible to set up a USB 3G/4G device of some kind onto your PC, and to set it to act as a failover system by setting the Network Metric to a low priority

Set the main Interface metric to 1 and the fallover to 100 and all traffic should use the lowest numbered route possible, so if the main is not available routes will go via the fallover

It's fairly deep in the IPv4 advanced settings - You would also need to set them for IPv6 if you use that

Edit , Just my curious nature *Wink
    I did a quick google on your router, and (at least the Latest version), does include fall over protection option using the USB 3G option

[WAN] How to set up Dual WAN | Official Support | ASUS UK

Cheap solution for failover to 3G Internet? [​IMG]

Barman58, Feb 2, 2018
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Thanks very much, Nigel. I found the setting in my router with the help of that link. Does either method (router or IPv4 settings) allow me to restrict the failover traffic to only certain programs or ports though? I would want browsers, program updates, Dropbox and my back-up software for example to be unable to submt traffic through the 3G connection because it could get very expensive, very quickly!

THX1138, Feb 2, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    I'm not certain, you may be able to block certain ports such as port 80 using the router firewall on the fallover which should stop any browser activity, other ports may be needed for streaming as they sometimes use a unique port to avoid "interference" from HTTP traffic , you would need to check applications for there preferred port number - all this depends on how much ASUS give you to the routing and firewall, if you have full access you would just redirect all the ports you want the fallback not to use to just use the main

This can get very complex very quickly, so I would suggest a network monitor application which could let you know at any time the signal goes on the main (a ping to a known site that is routed via the main and lets you know when a set number of pings fail), and you are running on the fallback. there did used to be a lot of these available for free when the internet was even more expensive than now, with the widespread use of uncapped internet across the world as a whole, they are less visible but still there

Looking at the page I linked to before there is an option for Dual Lan routing, you will need to check if they allow port based control, iff they do then that should meet your control needs

If you try to enter an IP and port address rather than just the IP, (192.168.1.15:80 rather than 192.168.1.15), if it's accepted then your good to go using the router's system. I would imagine that you would not tick to allow the fallover in that dialogue

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cheap solution for failover to 3G Internet? - Similar Threads - Cheap solution failover

2. Failover server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failover server: Hi guysIn one scenario, I have a primary server in one site and a backup server in other site but these sites have a fiber link and ping each other . I want the backup server and the main server to be up at the same time, and the backup server can be in sync with the main...
  3. Failover server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failover server: Hi guysIn one scenario, I have a primary server in one site and a backup server in other site but these sites have a fiber link and ping each other . I want the backup server and the main server to be up at the same time, and the backup server can be in sync with the main...
  4. Failover Cluster

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failover Cluster: DearsWe upgraded our environment from Windows Server 2012 R2 into Windows 2019 Everything seems to work normally except for Windows Failover Cluster ServiceThe service is not able to run at all with the event id1090We removed the failover cluster feature and re-add it again;...
  5. Failover Cluster

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failover Cluster: DearsWe upgraded our environment from Windows Server 2012 R2 into Windows 2019 Everything seems to work normally except for Windows Failover Cluster ServiceThe service is not able to run at all with the event id1090We removed the failover cluster feature and re-add it again;...
  6. All Solutions to slow internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Solutions to slow internet: Step 1 ---------------------------- Go down to your search bar and type "cmd" after right click "cmd" and run as"Administrator" Type these commands in. "ipconfig /release" hit enter "ipconfig /renew" hit enter "ipconfig /flush dns" hit enter "netsh winsock reset" hit...
  7. Cannot connect to internet with 3G dongle :ERROR ID 720

Cannot connect to internet with 3G dongle :ERROR ID 720: Why is it that on my Windows 10 PC, when I try to connect to the internet with a 3G dongle, it says : ERROR ID : 720. After I minute automate to connect to internet. However, the same dongle works fine on a PC running Windows 8.1 What does the error message mean? How do...
  8. internet Connection problems and solutions

internet Connection problems and solutions: This is for an online class I currently attending. I need information of possible troubleshooting information. Articles on limited connections would be appreciated!...
  9. Solution to "no access to the internet" problem

Solution to "no access to the internet" problem: when I try to connect to the internet through WiFi I had this problem "Limited access to the internet"" or "no access to the internet" and recently I found a solution. I don't guarantee it will solve ur problem but at least I think it worth trying. First of all, do a...
  10. Microsoft account and 3G internet

Microsoft account and 3G internet: Hi Since Windows 10 is out, I would love to update, but I have little issue. I already had it with Windows 8 and that is why I am back on 7. That is with connecting my account to Microsoft account. Problem I have is with internet connection. I use mobile internet via 3/4G...