Windows 10: Check for Updates is missing

Discus and support Check for Updates is missing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction. I've been working with a handful of Windows 10 boxes through the various releases of the tech... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pparks1, Sep 3, 2015.

1. pparks1 Win User

Check for Updates is missing

Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction. I've been working with a handful of Windows 10 boxes through the various releases of the tech preview to clean installs using RTM media and I've had a recurring problem.

Normally, to get to Windows Updates, I click on the Start Button, and type 'updates' and my top result is "Check for Updates" with the gear icon and it says "system settings" directly under "Check for Updates".

So, today, on a new machine i have been setting up, all of a sudden "Check for Updates", system settings, is now simply NOT SHOWING UP in the search. My new "Best Match" option is now JAVA which has it's own "Check for Updates" and it's a desktop app.

i know that I can go through Notifications, All Settings and find Update and Recovery...but this is slow. I want to just hit the Start key and type Updates.

Anybody know how to get results to appear in the search?

I cannot believe that I cannot hit Start and just type "Windows Update" and find this thing.*Mad

Edit; I just deleted the index and rebuilt it. No improvements.
    Edit 2: I just uninstalled Java 8 Update 60, and that didn't resolve the issue either.
    Edit 3: I added C:\Program Data to the Index locations and this didn't resolve the issue.

:)

pparks1, Sep 3, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

Where is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" Option in Windows 10?

You have no way of knowing what percentage of Windows 10 users are highly dissatisfied. You can't go by forum posts, because no one goes to the hospital to tell the people there how good they feel. Even if were were to consider the silly 20-30% numbers
    accurate, you also don't know how many of those would be highly unsatisfied due to their own ignorance and bungling. I will ask again: If Windows isn't an operating system, how are Windows users even able to use their computers, highly unsatisfied or not?
    Do you know of a computer anywhere that can function without an operating system?

JimWynne, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Where is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" Option in Windows 10?

if you are a windows insider and installed the fall creators update then your screwed I did find away to get by all that very simply by unsubscribing to the insiders then go to windows update and click on don't send me up dates so then you wont
    have t worry about accidentally reboot computer then I did a full drive wipe because they hide it in the registry and I couldn't get rid of it after the new install its gone but you better make sure you have a back up of files and apps theres more so reply
    if you want to know more

lacywoytuck, Sep 3, 2015
  4. pparks1 Win User

Here is what it looks like when it's working (from another computer)

Check for Updates is missing [​IMG]

And here is what I see on the computer where it does not work

Check for Updates is missing [​IMG]

pparks1, Sep 3, 2015
  5. I thought the whole point was that updates are automatically installed without interaction from the end user thus all windows 10 users would be running the same versions. Much like OS X.

SpyderBite, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 6, 2015
  7. pparks1 Win User
    When setting up a new computer at work, I lay down an image and then run Windows update to get it all patched before deploying to the user. So, I regularly kick it off.

The isnt just a Windows update issue either, I have experienced other applications also missing with searches as well as other system settings.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Check for Updates is missing - Similar Threads - Check Updates missing

2. Checking for Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Checking for Updates: Hi Microsoft community,I've started receiving this popup recently whereas I wasn't before. I'm unsure if its a legitimate popup from Microsoft or not. I have tried to search for it online but I can't find any image resembling it. It looks like an Office 365 update, but it...
  3. Checking for Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Checking for Updates: Hi Microsoft community,I've started receiving this popup recently whereas I wasn't before. I'm unsure if its a legitimate popup from Microsoft or not. I have tried to search for it online but I can't find any image resembling it. It looks like an Office 365 update, but it...
  4. checking for update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    checking for update: I have window 8.1. While checking for update, it says there is problem checking update. I have set automatic update but has never updated. what is the reason? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-for-update/3d210500-9eee-45fc-b54a-b9a0ca718aae
  5. checking for update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    checking for update: I have window 8.1. While checking for update, it says there is problem checking update. I have set automatic update but has never updated. what is the reason? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-for-update/3d210500-9eee-45fc-b54a-b9a0ca718aae
  6. Windows Update - missing "check for updates" button

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - missing "check for updates" button: Hi, We have a large number with computers running Windows 10 version 1607, long time not updated not my fault. We decided to update all of these computers but we having troubles. Even if we try to update via Windows Update or via installation media, after update complete...
  7. Checking for updates

Checking for updates: My computer just keeps scrolling and scrolling on "checking for updates". How do I get it to stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-for-updates/4ce87500-1f4a-4a79-ae7b-c97fa689b7e3
  8. Check for updates button is missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Check for updates button is missing in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Some users have reported that after they must have updated to a newer version of Windows 10, they find that the Windows Update section is missing from the Update & Security tab – and instead, the top item on the [...] This post Check for updates button is...
  9. check for updates

check for updates: Check for updates fails, cannot get an internet connection. Nothing wrong with my internet. Trouble shooter will not load. Cryptographic services changed to local account to solve Chrome problem. Trouble with update started then. Dont know how to put it back to...
  10. gpedit.msc suddenly missing | Can't check updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    gpedit.msc suddenly missing | Can't check updates: Hey guys, so I got tired of my laptop restarting without my authorization in the middle of the night because it was trying to be helpful and my boyfriend wasn't being any help when I tried to ask him about how he prevented it from restarting. (LSS: changing update settings...