Windows 10: Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

Discus and support Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 A new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Daz1967, May 8, 2018.

1. Daz1967 Win User

Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

How to: Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

How to Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10

A new build 18298 or newer.

Starting with the next major update Microsoft is making a few changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space. Through reserved storage, some disk space will be set aside to be used by updates, apps, temporary files, and system caches. Microsoft's goal is to improve the day-to-day function of your PC by ensuring critical OS functions always have access to disk space. Without reserved storage, if a user almost fills up her or his storage, several Windows and application scenarios become unreliable. Windows and application scenarios may not work as expected if they need free space to function. With reserved storage, updates, apps, temporary files, and caches are less likely to take away from valuable free space and should continue to operate as expected. Reserved storage will be introduced automatically on devices that come with version 1903 pre-installed or those where 1903 was clean installed. You dont need to set anything upthis process will automatically run in the background.

If you upgraded the device to the next available build after enabling reserved storage, you can check the reserved storage size.

How much of my storage is reserved?
    In the next major release of Windows (19H1), Microsoft anticipates that reserved storage will start at about 7GB, however the amount of reserved space will vary over time based on how you use your device. For example, temporary files that consume general free space today on your device may consume space from reserved storage in the future. Additionally, over the last several releases weve reduced the size of Windows for most customers. Microsoft may adjust the size of reserved storage in the future based on diagnostic data or feedback. The reserved storage cannot be removed from the OS, but you can reduce the amount of space reserved. More details below.

The following two factors influence how reserved storage changes size on your device:
    • Optional features - Many optional features are available for Windows. These may be pre-installed, acquired on demand by the system, or installed manually by you. When an optional feature is installed, Windows will increase the amount of reserved storage to ensure there is space to maintain this feature on your device when updates are installed. You can see which features are installed on your device by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Manage optional features. You can reduce the amount of space required for reserved storage on your device by Manage optional features"]uninstalling optional features you are not using.
    • uninstalling languages you aren’t using.
    See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to check the reserved storage size used for Windows Update in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Show more categories link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on System & reserved. (see screenshot below)

4. Look at the Reserved storage size. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Daz1967, May 8, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

Storage reserved for Windows Update

Starting from here:
    What’s New In Windows 10 Version 1903 May 2019 Update
    Reduce Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Find Reserved Storage Size in Windows 10
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage in Windows 10

So you can see it can be disabled, and is not necessarily a fixed 7Gb. But of course we don't have the final release yet- that's expected in May.

Further, Brink has produced these:
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Oct 27, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7...

This is an Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 update that may improve performance of USB transfers. Now they do say, "for some":
    How? Well per Microsoft:
    Now, you do need to read the Hotfix article, here > An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Now, after you apply this hotfix, you will need to do some registry editing.
    So, back up your registry before proceeding. And, also, you do this at your own risk; as always... anything can go wrong at anytime, even in the most perfect circumstances.

This registry edit is, also, covered in the hotfix:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
    ‪1.‬Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    ‪2.‬Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    ‪3.‬HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
    ‪4.‬Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    ‪5.‬Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    ‪6.‬Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    ‪7.‬In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
    ‪8.‬Exit Registry Editor.

Notes
    VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
    PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.

To get this update, you will need to click the "View and Request Hotfix Downloads" at the top portion of the page. Follow the instructions, like, fill out the info and check the files you want to download. They will send an email to with the links.

Happy updating and may it improve your USB storage device's performance. *Smile Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 :)

95Viper, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  6. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Check Reserved Storage Size for Windows Update in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Check Reserved Storage

2. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  3. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage: Hello, Is there anyway to reduce the System Files and Reserved storage size? My 256 GB SSD drive is currently full. I checked my storage settings, and it turns out System & Reserved storage is taking up a big chunk of it - maybe larger than it should. I've tried running the...
  4. Reducing the size of System Files & Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 System and Reserved Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 System and Reserved Storage: Within the last couple months I got a new PC and it is and has been running really well... with one problem. Its storage has recently begun filling up really quickly and practically overnight the system and reserved storage went up around 100 GB. I should specify that I have...
  6. Storage reserved for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Storage reserved for Windows Update: I've read that after the April (May?) update, Windows10 will reserve 7 GB of storage for installing updates. Can this possibly be true? I only have 8 GB. 130282
  7. Storage reserved for Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage reserved for Windows Update: I've read that after the April (May?) update, Windows10 will reserve 7 GB of storage for installing updates. Can this possibly be true? I only have 8 GB. 130282
  8. Reserved Storage in Windows 10 explained

in Windows 10 News
    Reserved Storage in Windows 10 explained: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]‘Failed Updates’ comes across as one of the major issues plaguing Windows 10 users during its upgrade. It occurs when not enough free storage is available for the task to be completed. This is set to change as Microsoft has [...] This post Reserved Storage...
  9. Windows 10 reserved storage explained

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 reserved storage explained: Microsoft revealed today that it plans to integrate a feature called reserved storage in Windows 10 version 1903, the next feature update of the operating system. Windows 10 will set aside some available storage automatically so that it is can be used exclusively by the...
  10. Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 Starting with the next major update Microsoft is making a few changes to how Windows 10 manages disk space. Through...