Windows 10: Checking hard drive for errors

Discus and support Checking hard drive for errors in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have a 3 yr old Samsung laptop which I thought was behaving properly. Today, Outlook froze and then as I tried to open other programs, each... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Smiley1, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Smiley1 Win User

Checking hard drive for errors

Hello,

I have a 3 yr old Samsung laptop which I thought was behaving properly. Today, Outlook froze and then as I tried to open other programs, each thing froze as well. I left it alone and things eventually sorted themselves out and the computer became functional again.

I looked in Event Viewer and I am seeing a LOT of disk warnings and errors, going all the way back to March. That's as far back as it goes, to the date when I installed Windows 10. (Laptop came with Windows 8 installed, I upgraded to 8.1 and then to 10.) This is in Hard Disk 0, which contains Drive C and several recovery drives.

The errors are mentioning ominous things such as "bad block", so the first thing I would like to do is actually see if the physical hard drive itself is failing. In looking at Settings, I see no indication that it is, it says the drive is healthy.

I've seen reference to software called CrystalDisk, but I would like to be assured of a safe download site for that, or is there other software someone here can recommend?

Thanks.

:)

Smiley1, Jul 30, 2016

2. Hard Drive error checking

MsKailuaBch, Jul 30, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Hard Drive error checking

Open File Explorer and right click the drive you want to check. Go to properties, select the Tools tab and select Error Checking.

neilpzz, Jul 30, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    The first thing you should do is run CHKDSK on your drive.
    Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Then you can download and install PassMark DiskCheckup, to see the values of the SMART attributes. Let it run for a bit so the numbers can settle in.

I've used Crystal Disk Info, and it's good, but it tends to install other garbage, so you have to be cautious.

Finally, SeaTools is good for testing drives. Use the long test.
    SeaTools | Seagate
    http://www.seagate.com/files/staticf...-dos-guide.pdf

Hope that helps.

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Smiley1 Win User
    Thank you.

The first two options--Security and Maintenance and the Properties Drive Tools don't show any errors.

I don't want to do anything other than look and report right now. Would doing Chkdsk from a command prompt just look and report only?

Smiley1, Jul 30, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    I would move on to DiskCheckup at this point.
    Let the program run for a while - at least 20 minutes, and "refresh" to see settled-in values. If any of the SMART attributes are moving, DiskCheckup will show them in red, with an estimated TEC (Threshold Exceed Date) listed. Then you can see if anything is failing, but not failed yet.

EDIT: Is this a spinner or SSD?

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  7. Smiley1 Win User
    I don't know if it's a spinner or SSD. How can I find that out?

Edit:

I went to the Optimize Drive setting and it lists all the drives as being "Hard Disk" drives. Does that mean SSD? Sorry if that's a silly question, I really know very little about hardware.

Smiley1, Jul 30, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

A "spinner" is a nickname for a mechanical drive - the platters spin and the head reads the data.

Checking hard drive for errors [​IMG]

A Solid State Drive is like flash memory - no moving parts. It is about the size of a 2.5" spinner that you find in laptops, as opposed to the 3.5" you find in desktops.

Solid State vs. Hard Disk: Differences Between SSD and HDD

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Performing CHKDSK at startup would attempt to repair the drive, unless you omit the switch (/r or /f). Please run DiskCheckup and view the SMART data. Post a screenshot for us if anything is not "OK".

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  10. Smiley1 Win User
    I've been running DiskCheckup and everything is showing as "OK". Short test has completed without error. I'll run the long one and see what happens.

Smiley1, Jul 30, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    This is the tab we're most interested in:

Checking hard drive for errors [​IMG]

The "tests" in DiskCheckup aren't very reliable - especially the long one; you may find it stalls or errors out.

The "tests" to run are with SeaTools - DOS - long test. That is the best one.

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  12. Smiley1 Win User
    You're right about that extended test in DiskCheckup. It got stuck at 10% and wouldn't abort. I shut down the laptop and powered it back up. It now shows that a test was aborted by the host, it seems to be on the short test and still stalled out at 10%. The other short tests run earlier today showed no errors.

I just have a column of "N/A" 's under 'predicted TEC date'.

Smiley1, Jul 30, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Okay, so it sounds to me like your drive needs CHKDSK run on it to correct errors (it's not uncommon). But you can run the Seagate long test if you like first. It will take quite a while.

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Disks can get "bad blocks" over time. CHKDSK /r will identify those blocks as unusable, quarant them off, and move any data in them to healthy blocks (if possible). Sounds to me like you need to do this, before any data in them is irrevocably lost.

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  15. Smiley1 Win User
    Well, I'm embarrassed and I am offering an apology. I have an external hard drive I leave connected to the laptop and File History is backed up to that. I also use the external storage device to backup our business financial software records. The disk errors reference Hard Disk 1, and in checking my storage management, I see that my computer is calling this external hard drive Hard Disk 1. My internal drive is Hard Disk 0. I powered down the laptop and disconnected the drive, then powered the laptop up and checked Event Viewer. No disk errors listed.

I think I do need to be concerned about the health of the external drive, but that's an easy replacement.

Thanks for your advice and patience, Simrick. I've learned a lot here. I'll mark this thread 'solved', with a huge sigh of relief. And I think I should replace that external hard drive.

Smiley1, Jul 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Checking hard drive for errors - Similar Threads - Checking hard drive

2. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  3. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  4. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. hard drive error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive error: whenever i run a hard drive test i keep getting the error code - Targeted Read Test - WHD20-JOD, can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-error/aba95e95-a113-4f77-840f-79e629842b51
  6. hard drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive error: whenever i run a hard drive test i keep getting the error code - Targeted Read Test - WHD20-JOD, can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-error/aba95e95-a113-4f77-840f-79e629842b51
  7. Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors: There are two Western Digital hard drives in my system unit, each with the capacity of 1TB.I need to leave the computer running at night so that the drives may be checked and any found errors or bad sectors may be corrected by the time it is morning.Based on what is stated in...
  8. Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors: There are two Western Digital hard drives in my system unit, each with the capacity of 1TB.I need to leave the computer running at night so that the drives may be checked and any found errors or bad sectors may be corrected by the time it is morning.Based on what is stated in...
  9. Hard Drive Checking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Checking: So I have been getting alot of check disks recently, I'm young and I don't know alot about tech or anything, so I just use the computer when I need to, just browse the Web etc. So I searched on my phone and found out if I manually turned off the computer using the power...
  10. Check (errors) hard disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Check (errors) hard disk: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam please be nice to help me in connection with my laptop hard drive. What settings can I give to check it out and see if it has errors and set it up for hours of operation. Thank you! Wait for response! A wonderful day!...