Windows 10: Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10

Discus and support Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10 [img] Information If you like, you can sign in to your account on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10

How to: Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10

Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you like, you can sign in to your account on a Windows 10 PC using a picture password.

You choose the picture and the three gestures you use with it to create a password that's uniquely yours. When you have chose a picture, you "draw" with the mouse, touchpad, or pin/finger on a touchscreen to create a combination of circles, straight lines, and taps. The size, position, and direction of your gestures become part of your picture password.

By default, PCs joined to a domain can sign in using a picture password unless disabled via policy.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable allowing domain users to set up and sign in to Windows 10 using a picture password.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable picture password for domain users.

Warning While this policy is suppose to only affect domain users, it appears that there is a bug causing this policy to actually affect all users on the PC whether the PC is joined to a domain or not.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password in Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Picture password on Sign-in screen

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password in Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education Option TWO below though.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon

3. In the right pane of Logon in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off picture password sign-in policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (disable) or step 6 (enable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Disable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Enable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

BlockDomainPicturePassword DWORD

0 or (delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Domain_users_Picture_Password_Sign-in.reg

Download

3. To Disable Domain Users Sign-in using Picture Password
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Domain_users_Picture_Password_Sign-in.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 13, 2014
  2. Bree Win User

How to allow a photo password on a Standard account?

Pro or Home, it should by default be available for any user, standard or admin. There is a Group Policy that can disable picture passwords, see if it has been enabled.

What options are shown in Accounts > Sign in options? I see Windows Hello Face, Windows Hello Fingerprint. Windows Hello PIN, Security Key, Password, and Picture Password. Some say 'currently unavailable' (eg, no fingerprint reader) but they should be listed none the less.

3. Mark Isi Win User
    Windows 10 picture password not appearing on sign in screen

Do you have any group policy settings activated? This could sometimes be an issue with the picture password, as some policy gets this disabled by default. If group policy is enabled on your system, follow these steps in disabling the policy "Do not display
    last user name":

• Press the Windows key + R keyboard combination to open a Run box, then type
      secpol.msc
      and press Enter.
    • In the left pane of Local Security Policy window, navigate to Local Policies -> Security Options.
    • On the right hand side, double-click on the “Interactive Logon: Do Not Display Last User Name” setting. Now switch the radio button from
      Enabled to Disabled, then click Apply.
    • Restart your computer and the Picture Password / PIN code sign-in options will be back.

Please advise.

Mark Isi, Oct 26, 2019
  4. RobJM# Win User

User Name or Password Incorrect When Trying to Log In as Domain User

I've tried searching repeatedly for an answer to this problem but I seem to be getting nowhere.

My client purchased a desktop PC with Windows 10 Home edition installed. I upgraded the machine to Windows 10 Pro. I added a Microsoft account to the machine.

I logged in using this account and added the machine to the domain (Windows Server 8). When prompted to enter a domain user account, I used my Administrator account. The machine was added fine. I can see it in the list of devices on the server.

Now when I try to log in to the machine as a domain user or the domain administrator, I get an error. Here are my steps at the login screen:

1. Click on Other user (Note that "Sign in to: <DOMAIN>" is displayed)

2. Enter user name (I've also tried DOMAIN\User and *** Email address is removed for privacy ***)

3. Enter password.

4. Click on arrow.

5. Message displayed is "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again."

I've tried multiple domain accounts and verified their passwords. It seems that only the local/Microsoft account will let me into the PC.

RobJM#, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Windows 10Pro unable to login 2008 domain from domain user after upgrade

• I upgraded our Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 and it's done successfully
    • When I log in with domain Administrator account and it works fine
    • But when I tried to log in with existing domain user or new domain user after entering the password the welcome screen shows then sign out immediately

• Windows 10 Pro is activated by digital license
    • Windows 10Pro inbuilt antivirus only
    • Windows 2008 R2 Domain controller -- Forest and domain set as 2008 R2

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Ayyanar Sithanandhan, Oct 26, 2019
  6. password sign in

Hi,

About your concern with typing the password after being idle, it is actually recommended to activate for security reasons.

If you wish to disable it, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Click on Sign in options.
    • On the right side, you will see required sign in.
    • Change it to Never.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Disable Domain Users to Sign in with Picture Password to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Domain Users

2. Disable password use at sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable password use at sign in: I’ve recently installed the Authenticator app and I was wondering if there is a way to disable using my password to sign in to my Microsoft account.I’ve had a ton of attempts to access my account from foreign countries, and although it would seem setting up MFA would solve...
  3. User@Domain / Domain\User problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User@Domain / Domain\User problem: So I was checking my Windows 10 computer and saw that there was no domain, it was in a WORKGROUP. I needed to use the format "User@Domain" or "Domain\User" for something, and I do not know what to put. The username is just "User" and there is no password. submitted by...
  4. Picture password sign-in option not available in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Picture password sign-in option not available in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Picture password is a feature introduced in Windows OS that allows you to create three different gestures on any image of your choice and use […] This article Picture password sign-in option not available in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Forgot password and no picture sign in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot password and no picture sign in: I have a picture sign in option and I always log in using the picture up until I forgot my password (my bad). Last night my power was out and computer shut down. when I try to log in, the picture sign in is not an option, how do i make it an option?...
  6. Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable or Enable Domain Users Sign in using Biometrics on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 supports the use of Biometrics. It already supports PIN, Password and Picture Password on all computers, but given the proper hardware, Windows 10 also supports facial scanning, Iris scanning as well as fingerprint scanning. You can find these [...] This...
  7. Windows 10 Domain Joined - How to disable pin sign on.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Domain Joined - How to disable pin sign on.: Having trouble disabling pin sign on for our domain joined machines. it just doesn't seem to work, I have tried using the registry tweak and GPO policy. Can someone help please?*Confused*Confused Firaz 53995
  8. Domain Users and Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Domain Users and Windows 10: I upgraded from Windows 7 and my account transferred without an issue. My wife's account (who uses the same computer and we switch users) did not. I ended up deleting her account and recreated a new one. She can log in, but the start button and action center do not...
  9. Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics How to Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in to Windows 10 using Biometrics Windows Hello biometrics lets you sign in to your devices, apps, online services, and networks using your...
  10. Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Domain Users to Sign in with PIN to Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Hello in Windows 10 enables users to sign in to their device using a PIN (Personal Identification Number). You can use this PIN to sign in to Windows, apps, and services....