Windows 10: chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors

Discus and support chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; How do you troubleshoot chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors? Several days earlier chkdsk produced no errors. And several days earlier chkdsk /f /r... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by zbook, Apr 6, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors

How do you troubleshoot chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors?

Several days earlier chkdsk produced no errors.
    And several days earlier chkdsk /f /r was ran. I did not know how to find and view the log in the eventvwr. How do you find this specific log?

All UEFI hardware diagnostic tests passed in extensive mode.

sfc /scannow displayed no integrity violations.
    dism restore health completed successfully.

Currently the computer is in clean boot while working up boot hangs
    A windows performance recording was made in boot mode.
    Where can the tracings be submitted and interpreted?

How do you troubleshoot windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.969 for chkdsk /f /r failure to fix chkdsk errors?

:)

zbook, Apr 6, 2017
  2. Brian Cab Win User

failure chkdsk /f /r

Hi,

It actually doesn't what matter what option you choose because both will direct you to the same source. It is possible that the one that failed to update got a corrupted file. This can be caused by an interrupted connection while downloading the Windows
    update file. We suggest that you reset the Windows update components by following the steps provided on this

link
    and run the update again.

Update us on the result once it's done.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Apr 6, 2017
  3. failure chkdsk /f /r

I got some more information on the problem with updates from an older thread. It may be applicable. Please comment on this link:

Solving the free space problem on "microsoft system reserved partition " to Win10 upgrading

The EFI partition on the internal hard drive is 100 MB.

A telephone call to hp the technician said that my business grade notebook or mobile workstation is compatible with windows 10 and should be compatible with the creators update. I did not get a definite but a should be.

He said in his google search he found that error code 0xc1900800 was a problem with insufficient space or EFI system reserve partition. The solution was to download the mini tool partition wizard and extend the 100 MB hard drive to 250 MB.

I've got zero experience with changing sizes of partitions. Again the files are not saved yet on another drive.

On another computer that has had a successful upgrade to windows 10 version 1703 disk management displays the EFI partition with 100 MB.

So I am really puzzled why it has 100 MB on a successful upgrade and 100 MB is insufficient on the other. In the link that I posted the author comments on Samsung drives or different manufacturers of drives of the same size. The drive that I have is a
    Hitachi drive. It is an internal hard drive. The computer with the successful upgrade is a SSD drive.

Please comment on any of the above. I saw your fix it list and have not yet tried it.

The other thing I was wondering is does the source of the windows 10 upgrade impact its success or failure? For example the successful upgrade was using the Microsoft upgrade assistant. The failed upgrade was using the windows update part of windows that
    displayed it was possible to get an early update. These could have ended up being the same but I don't remember.

questions_, Apr 6, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Are you referring to that message that appears randomly at startup? if so, ignore it because there probably are no errors. Try running it from within windows and i'll betcha it tells you it is not necessary to run the scan:

chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors [​IMG]

Cheers,

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your hard drive might be failing.

NavyLCDR, Apr 6, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Well zbook,

Your second post should have been your first; however, I think there is still more to be understood here:

You reverted to a previous version of windows; correct?
    If so, does check disk fail on that reverted version if you run it in windows?
    If it does not fail, can you provide a screenshot of your current HD structure from disk management?
    And finally, can you identify the make/model of the hard drive itself (not shown in your specs)?

NavyLCDR may be absolutely correct but I still feel there is more to be understood here.

7. zbook New Member
    Wow I just spent one hour posting all of the information and after clicking post quick reply it all disappeared. It somehow logged me off and deleted all of the information before logging back in.

zbook, Apr 6, 2017
  8. WOT
    WOT Win User

Try posting a bit at a time and saving the changes.

Then come back and edit your post to add some more. Say "ALL DONE" when finished.

9. zbook New Member
    This notebook is a mobile workstation that came with windows 7 professional.
    It was upgraded to windows 10 version 1511 in July 2016.
    It was upgraded to windows 10 version 1607 in August 2016.
    It had problems with some windows updates October to January.
    On Jan 31 all of the windows updates somehow worked despite 3 to 4 months of troubleshooting.
    Upon boot is displayed windows is updating don't turn your computer off.
    It continued to display this message.
    Internet speed was checked and it was 100 MB /sec upload and download on google fiber.
    This was not an upgrade but a cumulative update and a few other updates.
    After 40 to 45 minutes at 100 MB/sec it was powered off and on.
    The administrative command prompt sfc scannow did not complete
    The dism restorehealth displayed corruption
    A bios UEFI scan in extensive mode displayed pass.
    A reboot failed to go beyond a flashing lock screen.
    There were no restore points.
    A startup repair was successful.
    Reboot to lock screen or wall paper was successful.
    clicking return to log on screen was successful.
    After logon it went to bsod critical process died.
    The computer was repaired in a Microsoft store where they saved all files in a windows PE environment. The bios was changed from Legacy to UEFI native without CSM. Using the bios the internal hard drive was sanitized. Windows 10 professional version 1607 was reinstalled with drivers, files, and some applications.
    Everything worked fine for 1 week.
    At the end of the week a second computer had a spontaneous bsod while watching the youtube half dime replay of lady gaga during the superbowl.
    With 2 blue screens in 2 weeks on 2 computers windows driver verifier was used on these 2 computers and other computers.
    The driver verifier detected violations with .sys drivers were recorded.
    All computers had windows defender quick, full, and offline scans.
    The computer that had just been repaired had another run of windows driver verifier after the windows defender offline scan and went into a WDO blue screen boot loop.
    This computer was returned to the Microsoft store where they had a different technician save the files using a windows PE environment. They formatted the internal hard drive, reinstalled windows 10 professional, files, drivers, and some applications.
    They reported that they had difficulty after the clean installation. They said they had problems with the Microsoft store. They said they had to create multiple users to fix this problem. They stated that they had other problems but I no longer remember what was said.
    When I got home the first boot was very slow.
    The second boot displayed "restarting" with rotating white dots on a blue background. This continued for more than 3 hours.
    It was powered off and on.
    A sfc scannow was very slow. It eventually displayed no integrity violations.
    A dism restore health was also very slow and displayed no integrity violations.
    A week later there was a second boot hang.
    This time it booted to a "HP icon" with no rotating dots on a black background.
    It was powered off and on.
    All of the drivers were reinstalled from the HP web site.
    The control panel reliability and problem history displayed mostly problems with thunderbolt service and get office failed
    updates.
    The thunderbolt drivers were reinstalled.
    chkdsk /f /r was performed.
    The computer was placed in clean boot.
    A windows 10 version 1607 to 1703 update was performed on 4/5/2017 on one computer and it was successful.
    On this computer a windows 10 version 1607 to 1703 update performed on 4/6 failed with error code: 0xc1900200
    The partitions on this computer were checked using administrative command prompt diskpart.
    After this chkdsk was performed and it displayed errors.
    Chkdsk /f /r was performed. I did not know how to find the log in the eventvwr.
    A repeat chksdk displayed the information above.
    I may have made two runs of chkdsk /f /r but I no longer remember as I ran multiple over the past few days.
    So with all of the unusual problems that I was experiencing with this one computer I was anticipating that an update from one version to the other would eliminate the older operating system and see whether the problems were fixed or not.
    However it appears that the failed update is temporally related to the problems with chkdsk.
    So that's the history that I remember now reported twice over the past 2 hours.
    I had posted many onedrive links. This time I will make this post and in the next post I''ll repost the one drive links.

zbook, Apr 6, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
  11. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I am looking at what you posted. Be back in a bit.

12. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Ok, why is your Hitachi HD listed in diskpart as Raid?

You only have 1 HD and I don't see a Raid 0 configuration; however, I do see that you have a Sata/Raid chipset in device manager. Also, your Intel rapid storage shows a raid 0 configuration so i am totally confused (or maybe not just knowledgeable enough to put all those pieces together).

13. zbook New Member

zbook, Apr 6, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    zbook, Apr 6, 2017
  15. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Zbook,

You have actually given me too much information for me to digest. When I asked a few simple questions, I was expecting a few simple answers. And, the last question I asked about a possible sata/raid configuration conflict, you offered no response and gave me something else. With that said, my suggestion is as follows:

Get ready to do a clean install, with your BIOS set to UEFI defaults.
    Make sure your BIOS is configured for SATA (not Raid)
    Perform the clean install as instructed by this tutorial:
    Clean Install Windows 10

If that doesn't work, then see Navy's post and proceed accordingly.

Good luck and I'm really sorry I couldn't help you.

Thema:

1. chkdsk /f /r failure to fix errors - Similar Threads - chkdsk failure fix

2. CHKDSK /F & /R query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK /F & /R query: Hi everyone, I ran CHKDSK /F and then the CHKDSK /R on CMD which ran both times on system boot.These were both successful, there were no known errors and no FOUND.000 folder is available on the C drive. My question is does running these commands when there is nothing wrong...
  3. CHKDSK /F & /R query

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK /F & /R query: Hi everyone, I ran CHKDSK /F and then the CHKDSK /R on CMD which ran both times on system boot.These were both successful, there were no known errors and no FOUND.000 folder is available on the C drive. My question is does running these commands when there is nothing wrong...
  4. chkdsk /f /r problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  5. chkdsk /f /r problem

chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  6. Chkdsk /f /r - Still at 11%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk /f /r - Still at 11%: I ran chkdsk /f /r on a Windows server, expecting it to complete within a few hours. However, it is still running over 80 hours later, with it still being at 11% at last check. I will give it several more days to attempt to complete, but if it does not, is it safe to perform...
  7. Chkdsk /f /r - Still at 11%

Chkdsk /f /r - Still at 11%: I ran chkdsk /f /r on a Windows server, expecting it to complete within a few hours. However, it is still running over 80 hours later, with it still being at 11% at last check. I will give it several more days to attempt to complete, but if it does not, is it safe to perform...
  8. Chkdsk /f /r - Still at 11%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. chkdsk /r failure

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk /r failure: Win 10 ver 2004 When running a Windows Image it gave me a message that it detected bad clusters. I opened a cmd prompt and ran chkdsk /r. It was in Stage 4 with 2 hours left when it rebooted on its own. At the log in screen it showed the usual username, but would not...
  10. CHKDSK /f or /r not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK /f or /r not running: Hi peps. I need a little help here the chkdsk command /f and /r and also I tried /x but all I get Scanning and Repairing. Its working on my Desktop PC but its working on my Laptop both Windows 10 Verson 2004. I have looked at the Registry Editer and looked at BootExecute...