Windows 10: chkdsk fails to run

Discus and support chkdsk fails to run in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Installed new HDD which I cloned with my old HDD data. Everything seems to function well except now I cannot use chkdsk. I use the admin cmd prompt and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ka5p, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ka5p Win User

chkdsk fails to run

Installed new HDD which I cloned with my old HDD data. Everything seems to function well except now I cannot use chkdsk. I use the admin cmd prompt and order a chkdsk using chkdsk C: /r and then restart the computer. Upon restart the information sentence about hit any key comes up but then, without me hitting any key, the computer continues on to a regular Windows start up instead of going into chkdsk. Not computer literate senior citizen seeks advice. Thanks

:)

ka5p, Jan 5, 2017

2. Unexpected Store Exception error - (HP Envy)

CHKDSK did find file system corruption. If you re-run CHKDSK in about a week and it again has corruption it may be confirmation the HD is failing

Did you run the HD maker test yet?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 5, 2017
  3. windows 10 service control manager 7009, 7011, 7031, 7023, 10016

There was file system corruption in all the CHKDSK and unfortunately I am only fluent in English

If you re run CHKDSK in a week or so and there is more file system corruption the HD may be failing

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 5, 2017
  4. chkdsk fails to run

Why don't you try "chkdsk C: /scan /offlinescanandfix /r" Its always worked for me.

storageman, Jan 6, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    You can do in windows from a cmd prompt chkdsk c: it wont fix amything but tell you if there are problems not report at the end

Samuria, Jan 6, 2017
  6. ka5p Win User
    appreciate the quick response -- tried as posted but No Joy. Really wierd why this is happening. I never have had a problem before.

ka5p, Jan 6, 2017
  7. NotRite Win User
    2 things. Did you try the 2nd suggestion and if so what did it show?

sfc /scannow might fix the problem if above was no help.

NotRite, Jan 6, 2017
  8. ka5p Win User

chkdsk fails to run

Thansk so very much to you folks who took the time to help me! I am happy to report the sfc /scannow did the trick! Everything appears to be back to normal and I am good to go with my new 1TB hard drive. Appreciate everyones' responses! Thanks again.

ka5p, Jan 6, 2017
  9. NotRite Win User
    Good deal! Glad it worked out for you!

NotRite, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

chkdsk fails to run

1. chkdsk fails to run - Similar Threads - chkdsk fails run

2. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  3. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  4. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  6. chkdsk is not running.

chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  7. CHKDSK not running with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK not running with bitlocker: Am trying to run chkdsk on a bitlocker encrypted system drive. It looks like it starts on reboot but does not process as it takes maybe 10 seconds then it kicks to windows when a chkdsk /b /r on this hardware should take 20 min. Have tried to suspend bitlocker and get same...
  8. CHKDSK not running with bitlocker

CHKDSK not running with bitlocker: Am trying to run chkdsk on a bitlocker encrypted system drive. It looks like it starts on reboot but does not process as it takes maybe 10 seconds then it kicks to windows when a chkdsk /b /r on this hardware should take 20 min. Have tried to suspend bitlocker and get same...
  9. Running CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running CHKDSK: Hi, i run chkddsk and this is the result but im not sure what to do about it, maybe i should just reinstall win10?C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkddsk 'chkddsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of...
  10. CHKDSK not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk C: /scan /offlinescanandfix /r