Windows 10: CHKDSK problem

Discus and support CHKDSK problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a two hard disk computer, with Win7 as my primary OS and Win10 installed on the secondary, totally separate HDD. When I boot into Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mayagrafix, Jun 26, 2015.

1. CHKDSK problem

I have a two hard disk computer, with Win7 as my primary OS and Win10 installed on the secondary, totally separate HDD. When I boot into Win10 everything works fine except... that I have to run CHKDSK on all HDD (including partitions) when I want to boot again into Win7.

Why?

Today I found this on the HDD that has Win7.

CHKDSK problem [​IMG]

Is this the cause for having to run CHKDSK after I boot Win10?
    Is there a fix?

Thanks for any help.

:)

Mayagrafix, Jun 26, 2015
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Chkdsk problem

Hi Collin,

If your computer is always booting up to the check disk page and if the progress of check disk is always stuck at 12%, it is possible that there is an issue with your hard drive. This can also be the reason why your encountering performance issues before
    performing a disk check. Some manufacturer has a built-in diagnostic tool in the BIOS that can help scan for hardware issues. If the BIOS of your computer's motherboard has this tool, we recommend running it to know what is causing the issue and resolve the
    issue at the same time. If your computer doesn't have a built-in diagnostic tool, kindly contact the
    Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of your computer so that they can help you diagnose the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, Jun 26, 2015
  3. Chkdsk problem

I ran a chkdsk on my pc to see if i had ang corrupted files because it was running slow. After it started, I noticed it had been at 12% an awfully long time. I let it run for the whole night and my workday and I came back and saw it at the same percent.
    I read on another forum that it could be a display issue, that it wasn’t displaying your actual percent and it could already be done I rebooted my pc and when the message came up to cancel the chkdsk I pressed a key, the number froze for about 2 minutes then
    started up with chkdsk and got stuck at 12% again. Someone please help!

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup)

CollinRoche, Jun 26, 2015
  4. bromanbro Win User

CHKDSK problem

Hopefully you backed up, because having to run CHKDSK means that the partition is getting damaged somehow (not trying to worry you).

bromanbro, Jun 26, 2015
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Fast boot/ fast startup causes this. Disable it and see if the chkdsk prompting is gone or not.

Follow Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Also boot into the BIOS and seh there. If there is such an option, disable it.

Now, boot into windows 10. Restart and boot into windows 7. Let us know if it is still asking for chkdsk.

6. bromanbro Win User
    Oh yeah forgot. Fast Start is a bane for anyone dual booting.

Winkey+X>Power Options>Choose what Closing the Lid Does>Enable Admin Options>Disable Fast Start.

bromanbro, Jun 26, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    [youtube]hmDmaKLbi4Y[/youtube]

essenbe, Jun 26, 2015
  8. 26dipp Win User

CHKDSK problem

I have only recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and I was getting frequent chkdsk runs when I went back into my dual boot Windows 7. Last night windows 7 did a chkdsk again and seemed to "fix" a lot of files. Since then I cannot get back into windows 10 other than the boot options. Is there a way / a program to fix this from within windows 7 or the windows 10 boot????
    I did have fast boot activated by default in windows 10.

26dipp, Jul 9, 2016
  9. I had the same problem, and after many moons R+R Win10. Again both 7+10 worked until one day 7 was hosed. So I gave in and upgraded to Win10 as my ONLY OS and have been very happy since then. All my programs work with Win10, it is very stable (not one crash) and manages RAM very well. I recommend ditching 7 and going with 10.

Mayagrafix, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

CHKDSK problem

1. CHKDSK problem - Similar Threads - CHKDSK problem

2. "Not able to read from source file or disk" problem even after chkdsk.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Not able to read from source file or disk" problem even after chkdsk.: Hi,A few days back I posted a question regarding being not able to back up my data from my laptop to my hard disk. An error kept occurring during transfer of files and it read "not able to read from source file or disk". I enquired about it and I was suggested to run a chkdsk...
  3. "Not able to read from source file or disk" problem even after chkdsk.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Not able to read from source file or disk" problem even after chkdsk.: Hi,A few days back I posted a question regarding being not able to back up my data from my laptop to my hard disk. An error kept occurring during transfer of files and it read "not able to read from source file or disk". I enquired about it and I was suggested to run a chkdsk...
  4. System backup getting CRC Errors chkdsk doesn't see any problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System backup getting CRC Errors chkdsk doesn't see any problems: Hi All,In my system I have the following HD's:Samsung Evo 250 System C:Samsung Evo 120Barracuda 1TBWD Red 3TBI have full drive backups on my NAS mapped drives using Free File Sync to keep them up to date. I have been trying to do a complete system backup on a 4TB WD...
  5. System backup getting CRC Errors chkdsk doesn't see any problems

System backup getting CRC Errors chkdsk doesn't see any problems: Hi All,In my system I have the following HD's:Samsung Evo 250 System C:Samsung Evo 120Barracuda 1TBWD Red 3TBI have full drive backups on my NAS mapped drives using Free File Sync to keep them up to date. I have been trying to do a complete system backup on a 4TB WD...
  6. System backup getting CRC Errors chkdsk doesn't see any problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. chkdsk /f /r problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  8. chkdsk /f /r problem

chkdsk /f /r problem: I run the chkdsk /f /r it checks the c: drive then it accidentally turn off when I turn it back on its a blue screen I try everything it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-f-r-problem/e8cb42cb-d44e-43da-8c8f-3e7004d7f444
  9. Chkdsk problem after installing Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk problem after installing Windows 11: HelloI need to use Windows 7 for my work because I have plugins that only work on Windows 7. But I install Windows 11 in another partition. It installs well and works, but later when I try to enter Windows 7, the chkdsk error is activated and I have to wait 15 minutes each...
  10. Chkdsk problem after installing Windows 11

Chkdsk problem after installing Windows 11: HelloI need to use Windows 7 for my work because I have plugins that only work on Windows 7. But I install Windows 11 in another partition. It installs well and works, but later when I try to enter Windows 7, the chkdsk error is activated and I have to wait 15 minutes each...