Windows 10: chkdsk reparse point errors - repeatedly

Discus and support chkdsk reparse point errors - repeatedly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, Does anyone have experience of repeated 'extended attribute set and a reparse point detected in file xxxxx'errors in chkdsk in windows 10? -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by seoras, Jun 13, 2016.

1. seoras Win User

chkdsk reparse point errors - repeatedly

Hello,

Does anyone have experience of repeated 'extended attribute set and a reparse point detected in file xxxxx'errors in chkdsk in windows 10? - even though it apparently corrects the errors with 'deleting extended attribute set due to presence of reparse point in file xxx' - the errors are still there whern I reboot (immediately once Windws has loaded).

I've done the full chkdsk /f /r and repaired the image using DISM and the latest .iso from Techbench. sfc /scannow does not return any error messages.

Thanks.

:)

seoras, Jun 13, 2016

2. Reparse point deletion

Today I had to run a chkdsk on my drive

All goes ok when I read a message

Deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point ...

On the net I found that reparse points are like symlinks in Linux and I'm worried them deletion can cause problems

I seriously have to be worried about this?

SimoneMonacoVH, Jun 13, 2016
  3. gru2 Win User
    Windows 10 File History Problem

Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I just discovered that my file history has not worked in a long time, with no notification that there was a problem. In reading the long list of errors, it seems that failure is being caused by something called a "reparse point" and
    the error tells me to delete said critter. Problem expands because there are many path locations for these reparse points, some of which have access denied (i.e. users\Bob\appdata\local\application data).

Altho I've been with windows since the very beginning, I have never heard of a reparse point and haven't the slightest idea what one is, or how to id it if i see one, or how to avoid one.

Can anyone help me with this? The only article I have found that mentioned reparse points dealt with windows server and the language made no sense to me.

4. axe0 New Member

Please upload the log of chkdsk. I'm on phone now so cannot post instructions for how to upload the log.

5. seoras Win User
    Very odd. what I've been doing is running chkdsk from a dos window at boot - obtained as part of Macrium reflect rescue environment. Initially, there were thousands of such errors but it's now down to just a few. Now when I use chkdsk from Powershell on the desktop (chkdsk c*Smile it doesn't show any errors. Running chkdsk c: /f needs a reboot which doesn't show any error messages or details which is why I used the Macrium Reflect facility. I can't find anything meaningful on Google about this issue.

I follwed this but it did not return anything at all.

How to find chkdsk results in Windows 10

seoras, Jun 13, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
  7. seoras Win User
    seoras, Jun 13, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Possibly, it may contain some things that have been changed.

Could you reproduce the repeated error from chkdsk in Macrium recovery?

9. seoras Win User
    I've done that now but it only returns the last chkdsk which shows no errors. Is it worth uploading that? I did chkdsk c: from WIndows 10 and it showed no errors. I then rebooted into the Macrium reflect environment, did chkdk again and there were more than 3000 filesshowing the error. It looks like it's the dos window attached to Macrium reflect that's the issue here. I'll avoid that in future.

That's fir your interest and help - and to everyone who contributes their expertise and hard work to assist others on this forum.

seoras, Jun 13, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    When was the last time you recreated Macrium recovery?

11. seoras Win User
    This morning! the dos window is version 6.1.7601

seoras, Jun 13, 2016
  12. seoras Win User
    windows 10 dod window is 10.0.10240

seoras, Jun 13, 2016
  13. seoras Win User

The kernel in the Macrium Reflect rescue environment was set to Windows 7 so I've re-created it to sute windows 10

seoras, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. chkdsk reparse point errors - repeatedly - Similar Threads - chkdsk reparse point

2. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working: So I'm getting this error when trying to open a folder on my onedrive. I cannot delete, move it or anything. I saw thatIt has been asked and answered online before, so I tried the solutions.Things I've tried:chkdsk :C /f /r --> restart and yes the affacted folder is on the C:...
  3. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working: So I'm getting this error when trying to open a folder on my onedrive. I cannot delete, move it or anything. I saw thatIt has been asked and answered online before, so I tried the solutions.Things I've tried:chkdsk :C /f /r --> restart and yes the affacted folder is on the C:...
  4. The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid, chkdsk not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  6. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  7. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. The the file or directory is not a reparse point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The the file or directory is not a reparse point: HI When i use to open my Power point,Excel,Word it show the file or directory is not a reparse point please try to help out of me as soon as possible. Your earlier response will be highly appreciated...
  9. Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK: I moved this to the Installation forum Sorry Somehow it got posted in the wrong forum I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I have it set up as a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 system. With Win 10 I had huge problems with Live Mail. Win 10 kept downloading old emails on my server and...
  10. Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 install - lots of reparse errors on CHKDSK: I upgraded Win 7 to Win 10. I have it set up as a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 system. With Win 10 I had huge problems with Live Mail. Win 10 kept downloading old emails on my server and wanted to rebuild the database and really messed it up bad, I found that when I booted back...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Extended Attribute set and a reparse point detected

2. deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point in file

3. deleting extended attribute set windows 7

4. the tag present in the reparse cant delete,
  5. Deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point hard disk error,
  6. due to presence of reparse point,
  7. deleting extended attribute set point in file,
  8. due to the presence of reparse point in file,
  9. deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point in windows 10,
  10. deleting extended attribute set point in file turn off safe,
  11. deleting extended setpoint in file,
  12. deleting extended attribute set due to the presense of reparse point,
  13. deleting extended atribute set,
  14. deleting extended attribute set chkdsk,
  15. Deleting extended attribute set due to the presence of reparse point...