Windows 10: CHKDSK Scan upon restart.

Discus and support CHKDSK Scan upon restart. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi All. I would appreciate some help on this one if at all possible. I have two seperate harddrives installed. On my one drive which is may main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by davpet, Mar 27, 2016.

1. davpet Win User

CHKDSK Scan upon restart.

Hi All.

I would appreciate some help on this one if at all possible.

I have two seperate harddrives installed. On my one drive which is may main one I have a copy of Windows 7.

My second drive has two partitions, one running Win 7 Pro and the second partition running and copy of Win 10 Pro.

This is my problem.
    Each time I have booted into Windows 10, upon restart or cold start the computer insists on running a CHKDSK Scan before it allows me to boot into any of the other operating systems. Upon running the CHKDSK it does find some corrupted files on the Win 10 partition which it rectifys automatically. Once these scans are completed the computer boots normally into the other operating systems. This is only appilcable after having booted into Windows 10 and not after having booted into Win 7.

Any help to try and prevent this from happening or further insight as to why would be appreciated.

With thanks
    Dave

:)

davpet, Mar 27, 2016

2. Does cancel chkdsk /f /r can data loss? (without error reporting)

Hi Elly,

Cancelling chkdsk scan in the middle of the process is not recommended to prevent the loss of data. Because the scan did not find any bad cluster or errors in the scanned computer drives, we cannot confirm the loss of data on your
    computer.

Data loss on performing chkdsk entirely depends upon the presence of bad cluster or errors found while scanning the system drives on the computer.

Write to us for further assistance on chkdsk issues, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 27, 2016
  3. Steam Desktop shortcuts not working since Windows 10 update ;___;

Hello,

Thank you for the update on the issue. I appreciate your efforts and time.

Since you already ran a hard drive scan upon startup, I believe it is the check disk scan. I suggest you to run the chkdsk scan by following the steps below and let it run for sometime. It will check the hard drive for errors and bad sectors to repair
    them, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + X while you are at the desktop screen.
    • Click on command prompt (admin).
    • Type the following command and hit enter.
    chkdsk /f /r

Note: If this asks you to run on restart, type y and hit enter and close the command prompt.

Restart the computer and check if it works.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Mar 27, 2016
  4. davpet Win User

While waiting for some worhtwhile contributions that happen on such a forum as this one, I decided to continue to do some further searching on the net about this issue.

In the past I have not had much success but this time stumbled across some information about "Fast Startup" and disabling in such a case as this one can resolve the issue. It has also succesfully resolved mine.

I found some information elsewhere on this forum about disabling the Fast Startup of which I have posted the link below.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Thank you once again for such a great forum.

Regards
    Dave

davpet, Mar 27, 2016
Thema:

1. CHKDSK Scan upon restart. - Similar Threads - CHKDSK Scan upon

2. Chkdsk stuck scanning USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk stuck scanning USB: Hi there...I recently had an issue with a usb that wasn’t letting me open folders or files that was inside it, so I tried to fix it using chkdsk d: /f in CMD but it has like 11 hours saying “90 percent completed”. I have looking for info to see if that is a normal time or if...
  3. Chkdsk stuck scanning USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chkdsk stuck scanning USB: Hi there...I recently had an issue with a usb that wasn’t letting me open folders or files that was inside it, so I tried to fix it using chkdsk d: /f in CMD but it has like 11 hours saying “90 percent completed”. I have looking for info to see if that is a normal time or if...
  4. Chkdsk stuck scanning USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. CHKDSK Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK Scan: I wanted to run a chkdsk c: /r /scan /perf on my Windows becouse i thought i had corrupted files. Before this happened i was turning on my Llaptop and it took me to Automatic Repair Tools where it said i need to recoved my files, i told it to try again about 5 Times but it...
  6. CHKDSK Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK Scan: I wanted to run a chkdsk c: /r /scan /perf on my Windows becouse i thought i had corrupted files. Before this happened i was turning on my Llaptop and it took me to Automatic Repair Tools where it said i need to recoved my files, i told it to try again about 5 Times but it...
  7. CHKDSK Scan

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. CHKDSK restarted itself?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CHKDSK restarted itself?: It's been running for like 22 hours and it was at Stage 4 but instead of getting to stage 5 it restarted at Stage 1... I don't want to wait another day, can I just cut the power to my PC? It literally did nothing just restarted itself (i started it with rebooting my oc...
  9. Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive: Every time I restart my computer in order to run chkdsk, to scan and repair my boot drive, it will say "Scanning and repairing...". There will never be a percent to indicate progress, it will just continue rebooting after about 5 seconds. If the recommended path is wipe my...
  10. Is it possible to queue more than 1 chkdsk scan on restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to queue more than 1 chkdsk scan on restart: Hi, here's what I want to do: chkdsk c: /f /r and set it to check once I restart chkdsk d: /f /r and do the same. Would both disk scans happen on restart or would I have to queue one, restart, wait for it to complete, do the same for other? Thanks submitted by /u/XtremelyEZ...