Windows 10: Chkdsk stuck

Discus and support Chkdsk stuck in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello chkdsk is stuck at 10% now for hours, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 I have 12GB of RAM and a Intel i7, on a 500GB hybrid drive. I just got the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BranBro, Aug 23, 2017.

1. BranBro Win User

Chkdsk stuck

Hello chkdsk is stuck at 10% now for hours, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 I have 12GB of RAM and a Intel i7, on a 500GB hybrid drive. I just got the laptop a month ago. I decided to run chkdsk on a whim even though I'm not having any problems and don't suspect any errors, I'm running it in f/r/x mode. I probably have about 450GB of free space. I ran disk cleanup right before I did chkdsk. Can anyone tell me what I can do. Will stopping it mess up my brand new HDD? How long do you think this will take, I've read online that it has taken days for some people.

:)

BranBro, Aug 23, 2017

2. Chkdsk stuck

Hello,

You might have to boot from the installation media and run a
    Check Disk from Command prompt".

Boot the computer from the installation media and try the following method to perform Check Disk from Command prompt" in Windows 10.

Please create an installation media if it is not available. You may download an ISO from the below link:

Download Windows 10

Follow the steps below and see if it helps:

1. Insert the installation disc or USB flash drive, and then
    restart your computer.

2. Press any key when prompted to do so, and then follow any instructions that appear.

3. When the Install Windows page appears, click Install now to begin the installation process or
    click Repair your computer to access system recovery options.

4. Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

5. From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

6. Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

7. In the “Advanced Options “click command prompt.

8. Then enter the chkdsk command chkdsk c: /f/r and press
    enter

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 23, 2017
  3. Tim_Fr Win User
    Chkdsk stuck

Thank you, Anju.

Before getting your message, I interrupted the initial chkdsk and was eventually able to get the computer to restart. The machine had intermittent functionality. A few seconds of normal operation are followed by a minute or two of unresponsiveness.

Under these conditions I was able to check the Event Viewer and see that there were 78 Error ID 7 messages in the last 24 hours reporting bad sectors on my hard drive. There were also a healthy number of Error ID 153 messages (something about RAID something
    or other).

After gathering this info, I rebooted from installation media and ran chkdsk as you suggested. It took just a few seconds, detected no errors and said that no action was necessary.

The subsequent reboot has been ongoing as I type this. 10 minutes in and it seems to have frozen before the taskbar was completely loaded. The disk activity light shows no action, and it does not seem that it will become responsive again.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Tim_Fr, Aug 23, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Chkdsk stuck

I've found the same running chkdsk, I've read that it could take days to complete with large (I have a 2Tb drive) hard drives. For a 500Mb drive it could take over 12 hours.

Bastet, Aug 23, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    I've had it take more than 24 hours on a 1TB drive.

It's the /R option that can take the most time. This asks chkdsk to reassess the bad blocks, meaning it has to test every block on the drive, whether its used or not. It's gets even slower if particular blocks need several retries to determine if they are useable.

6. BranBro Win User
    Okay, because this is my school laptop, it's ironic because I'm actually going to school for networking and Computer Security, I should have done some research before doing this chkdsk, hopefully it gets done by the time I get off work tonight around midnight. So I can do some school work.

BranBro, Aug 23, 2017
  7. BranBro Win User
    Okay new update it finished like 5 minutes after my last reply post. Thanks everyone for your help.

BranBro, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Chkdsk stuck

1. Chkdsk stuck - Similar Threads - Chkdsk stuck

2. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...
  3. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...
  4. Running Chkdsk C: /f /r always get stuck on the same file every time I retry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Chkdsk C: /f /r always get stuck on the same file every time I retry: My computer has been trying to scan and repair the C: drive every time I have booted up so I decided to run a dskchk however, it has been stuck on one file every time I have tried this I've even tried waiting 10+ hours for this to resolve but it was just stuck on the same...
  5. Running Chkdsk C: /f /r always get stuck on the same file every time I retry

Running Chkdsk C: /f /r always get stuck on the same file every time I retry: My computer has been trying to scan and repair the C: drive every time I have booted up so I decided to run a dskchk however, it has been stuck on one file every time I have tried this I've even tried waiting 10+ hours for this to resolve but it was just stuck on the same...
  6. CHKDSK stuck at 3% and I cant exit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK stuck at 3% and I cant exit: So I wanted to fix all the disk errors on my PC so I activated CHKDSK from control panel using the "Fix problems on my computer" shortcut and when my PC was restarted... It would be stuck at Stage 1: 3% 32257 of 1081088. I've tried multiple solutions including chkntfs /x c:...
  7. CHKDSK stuck at 3% and I cant exit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK stuck at 3% and I cant exit: So I wanted to fix all the disk errors on my PC so I activated CHKDSK from control panel using the "Fix problems on my computer" shortcut and when my PC was restarted... It would be stuck at Stage 1: 3% 32257 of 1081088. I've tried multiple solutions including chkntfs /x c:...
  8. CHKDSK stuck at 3% and I cant exit

9. I'm stuck in chkdsk Stage 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I'm stuck in chkdsk Stage 3: There's a massage: phase duration data attribute verification And it doesn't move on Can anyone help pls? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-stuck-in-chkdsk-stage-3/bcf16092-01d1-4f82-bda8-fc36fa81d699
  10. I'm stuck in chkdsk Stage 3

I'm stuck in chkdsk Stage 3: There's a massage: phase duration data attribute verification And it doesn't move on Can anyone help pls? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-stuck-in-chkdsk-stage-3/bcf16092-01d1-4f82-bda8-fc36fa81d699

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chkdsk stuck