Windows 10: chkdsk trouble

Discus and support chkdsk trouble in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all , I don't know if this is the right forum , but here goes . i'v been using Windows 7 for quite a while now , these last 2 weeks when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NettleWarbler, Dec 25, 2016.

1. chkdsk trouble

Hello all , I don't know if this is the right forum , but here goes . i'v been using Windows 7 for quite a while now , these last 2 weeks when I start-up I always seem to have to do a chkdsk . I had a version of Windows 10 x64 on another disk - drive , so I thought I would give that a try . It took ages loading up , I got something like scanning and repairing disk . There is also a Windows 10 Black edition , which I tried with exactly the same results . When I loaded the black edition I got something like your password has expired , and needs renewing ... I don't use passwords so was fairly vexed with that . I could not get online that way so I went back to Windows 7 . The 2 disk - drives with Windows 10 on ,I tried to load an old Version of Windows 10 on ( one I had used before the other I downloaded yesterday ). One said set-up is starting , the new one said Generation 2 on a purple screen which was on ages but neither worked or loaded . I even tried the black edition which I never liked ( its too dark for my eyes ) , all were on USB Drives . The black edition even loaded the files which you could see along the bottom of the screen . With all the chkdsks and none of them USB Drives working , I'm starting to think if its not something worse than just a new hard-drive that's wanted .Thank you .###

:)

NettleWarbler, Dec 25, 2016
  2. estung Win User

CAN BAD BLOCK ON SECONDARY (STORAGE) DRIVE CAUSE WINDOWS10 (PRIMARY DRIVE) TO STOP REBOOTING

Dave, as a matter of fact, I have one little favour to ask here, and if anyone can assist.

i) I have now CHKDSK-ed the troublesome drive and see if the problem persists to reconfirm my earlier findings. The trouble is CHKDSK-ing that half Terabyte drive is estimated to take 160hours, or 6 days. Can I interrupt it or should I continue? All data within
    that troubled drive has been out-of-reach as the drive has been dismounted with

CHKDSK /f /r /x.

ii) If there a faster CHKDSK option, ie /r or /f or /x which makes it speedier?

I could wait out the duration with no productivity lost though since I still have access to the Internet.

Thank you all in advance community members, and Dave.

estung, Dec 25, 2016
  3. BillLipe Win User
    chkdsk wiped out Directory?

I had run the Hardware Troubleshooter already with no success.

I ran it again just now with no success.

The trouble is being able to see the G: drive and it's directories.

I was able to see it prior to running a chkdsk /f/r on it.

It warned that Handles would go away...

Now I can't see G: using Explorer or a file recovery program.

Something happened during the chkdsk.

All this reprehensible conduct emanates from using the chkdsk...

Please reread the original post.

BillLipe, Dec 25, 2016
  4. chkdsk trouble

My main problem here is not being able to install Windows onto any of the hard drives available with the USB Drives , I was hoping if I installed a new version of Windows it would put the chkdsk problem right .

NettleWarbler, Dec 26, 2016
  5. Railtech Win User
    If you are getting errors stating that chkdsk needs to be run that is an indication that the disk has errors in format or file system which must be repaired if possible.

Railtech, Dec 26, 2016
  6. Railtech , it started ok without any checks or anything today windows 7 I mean , but the chkdsk , scanning and repair happened on 3 separate disks and I could not load the windows installation USB Drives that's what made me worried .

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    What did you use to create the Windows 10 installation USB flash drives with?

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2016
  8. chkdsk trouble

NavyLCDR , YUMI USB Creator .

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not sure about that program, but if it is like Rufus you will get compatibility problems with the flash drive if you don't select the exact correct combination of settings. Third party programs to create a Windows 10 USB installation flash drive are completely unnecessary. Make a USB flash drive bootable (this will erase the current contents on it):
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, read the important box below it. Just use FAT32, it's compatible with everything:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER

For step 12 you will mount the Windows 10 ISO file you download from Microsoft and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive. Windows 8 and 10 will mount ISO files with no extra programs needed. Windows 7 needs a program to mount ISO files like WinCDEmu:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...

See if that solves the not being able to boot a flash drive problem.

NavyLCDR, Dec 26, 2016
  10. With windows 7 starting with no chkdsk earlier I decided to see if the USB Drives would work , both worked and started to install . No good though the hard-drive was in GTP style so I will have to convert it too MBR . When I put windows 7 in again it started without the chkdsk again . I'm not counting the chickens yet though .

11. What do I need to convert it to MBR please .

12. Just to let you know the problem has been sorted , i tried another hard-drive that had been used before and Windows istalled straight away without any bother at all . i hav'nt loaded Windows 7 since last night so i don't know if the chkdsk problem has been sorted or not . I will convert the other hard-drive from GTP to MBR from this hard-drive later when i get more time . Thanks for your help and advice it was very much apprieciated . Thank you . ###

NettleWarbler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

chkdsk trouble

1. chkdsk trouble - Similar Threads - chkdsk trouble

2. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  3. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  4. Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.: Hi,I ran into an error, specifically An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 60f. while executing the CHKDSK command. Can someone tell me what is the error and how to fix it? The CHKDSK command doesn't seem to work....
  5. Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.

Unexpected error while running CHKDSK command.: Hi,I ran into an error, specifically An unspecified error occurred 6672732e637878 60f. while executing the CHKDSK command. Can someone tell me what is the error and how to fix it? The CHKDSK command doesn't seem to work....
  6. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...
  7. CHKDSK stuck on 100%

CHKDSK stuck on 100%: Hello , I have WIN 11 , I was trying to download a large game , however an error message appeared that i might have an unreadable sectors on my external HD WD - MY BOOK EXFAT. so naturally i tried to scan the hard drive , however it got stuck so I downloaded an app Minitool...
  8. chkdsk not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk not working?: When i run chkdsk i get windows has found problems. But when i run chkdsk C: I get there is no problems. Is there any reason why this is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-not-working/ce3e8aeb-084f-4693-b398-6fcf030f154a
  9. chkdsk not working?

chkdsk not working?: When i run chkdsk i get windows has found problems. But when i run chkdsk C: I get there is no problems. Is there any reason why this is happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/chkdsk-not-working/ce3e8aeb-084f-4693-b398-6fcf030f154a
  10. chkdsk not working?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging