Windows 10: Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Easiest method I find is to right click on the file .trec in your case and click on the Open With option this should show any programs that have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by biatche, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Barman58 Win User

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Easiest method I find is to right click on the file .trec in your case and click on the Open With option this should show any programs that have previously been used to open these files and an option to Find an app in the store or choose another app Navigate to the program EXE file you wish to use and select it

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Barman58, Jan 11, 2017
  2. SOHO1 Win User

Thanks but it does not offer me the installed program and only offers me the option to shop the Microsoft Application STORE.

Oooops! MY BAD, there's a link that allows me to search the PC.

Cheers!

SOHO1, Jan 11, 2017
  3. hexaae Win User
    *6. To Choose Defaults for Selected Program
    doesn't work for me on Windows 10 x64 14393.693 (UAC at max level): I can't switch on/off already selected extensions clicking on the checkmarks. I can only switch on/off unselected extensions. Is this supposed behavior or a bug? What's the logic?

hexaae, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

I do find that with a lot of Windows 10 option boxes if the option involves one of the Modern apps then the options for conventional apps is difficult if not impossible to find at all

I do think the "difficulty to remove a selected option may be by "design"

There is a secondary method to select the default option which sometimes is easier to use , Right click on the data file and select properties - you will see an option to select the default.

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

This may be an idea to try - I cannot say it will do what you want as I find the process to be variable to say the least (also you might try dropping the UAC down one level as the full position can be over protective of any system options )

Barman58, Feb 24, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    In the Upgrade (not clean install) from 14393.969 to 15063, during the OOBE phase of UPGRADE, (where you have chosen to keep all your settings and programs), you are encouraged to try Photos, Edge, Groove and Films&TV, instead of your chosen apps and are given little checkboxes (well, er... tick-circles) to, I think, accept Microsoft's choice for you, which when you clear the ticks, finish the upgrade and restart Windows Creator Build, all the Creator's choices are in place, none of yours, and it has become even more difficult to make your own choices stick by the methods in the tut above!

Just going around in Circles here.

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2017
  6. JMarc106 Win User
    I would like to change the app used by win10 in the file preview window. The app is correctly set for the OPEN as described in this post, but the preview window in the file manager use the wrong app how to change it?

JMarc106, Jul 25, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello J, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Usually, the preview pane will use the same default app to open the file with.

What file type is this for?

What is its default app?

...and what is the preview pane in File Explorer using?

Brink, Jul 25, 2017
  8. JMarc106 Win User

Well the problem got it self resolved but not sure why and how.

File type: pdf
    Default set to Pdf-Xchange and file did and do open properly
    But preview was using Pdf-Architect which I do not want but add to have to get a virtual printer.

After contacting PDF-Xchange, they sent me an update and now the preview works.

So not sure if the issue was that
    a) Pdf-Xchange version was not compatible with Win10 or
    b) Win10 assumes that what ever is the last program install for a file type. PDF Architect which I installed last. after the install I had to go to the Default app to reset to PDF-Xchange but the preview remained in PDF-Architect...
    in any case I do not see a mean to even change the preview file type and obviously WIN10 was not doing it according to my settings.

JMarc106, Jul 25, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Could be, but I'm glad to hear it has sorted itself out. *Party

Brink, Jul 25, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    @Brink seems that Control panel options aren't there anymore in builds 1709 and newer.. (Options 7 and 8)

AndreTen, Dec 24, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @AndreTen,

Yeah, options 7 & 8 no longer work starting with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709. *Sad

Brink, Dec 24, 2017
  12. Barman58 Win User
    @JMarc106

If you are having issues with Pdf-Xchange and having to add Pdf-Architect just to get a Virtual printer You may want to take a look at Nitro PDF Reader which gives you a reader. convertor, and PDF printer for Free. If you want to carry on with Pdf-Xchange you could try the best Virtual printer for free that I've ever seen which is PDFCreator which does many levels of PDF and also converts other program output to various common Bitmap Graphics formats JPG, PNG etc which can be useful

Barman58, Dec 24, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

Oh, I see now, you have notification down under the option. Think it should also be added at the beginning, where options are listed. Just my thought *Smile

AndreTen, Dec 24, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It wouldn't be a surprise then. *chuckle

Brink, Dec 24, 2017
  15. AndreTen Win User
    love surprises *chuckle

AndreTen, Dec 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choose Default Apps

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  4. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks

Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks: Sorry, but I'm here to complain. I downloaded a certain application which associated a protocol to it. Then I changed the location of the application, and now I'm trying to manually change or delete the old entry to point to the new location of the executable. The new Windows...
  6. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  7. Help choosing default app for files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help choosing default app for files: Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called 'codecs webp' or similar so I could see my images on the default photo visualizer and it worked fine. Today, when I was going to...
  8. Choosing Default Apps

Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  9. choose default apps by file type

choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665
  10. Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps: Hi, As background information, please note that I have Office 2013 installed. Several issues are occurring when I try choose my default apps: 1) Calendar The Calendar app is installed and works, but it is not set as my default. When I click "Choose a default," I...