Windows 10: Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I just discovered the method I normally use in Options 7 & 8 no longer works. This was much better designed, faster and easier to use than the Settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by biatche, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

I just discovered the method I normally use in Options 7 & 8 no longer works. This was much better designed, faster and easier to use than the Settings option designed for idiots! How typical of MS to take another step backwards.

You ca create the following shortcuts to restore the previous more useful functionality is restored.

"Set your default programs": control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram
    "Associate a file type or protocol with a program": control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc
    I suggest Options 7 & 8 in this Tutorial are updated to show these options.

Steve C, Feb 23, 2018
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Steve, *Smile

Thank you, but both commands are already in Options 7 & 8.

In Windows 10 build 17604 (since W10 FCU), both commands opens the same as in Option Six for me. It appears all Default Program Control Panel type commands have been hard coded to redirect and open in Settings instead now.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10

1. Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choose Default Apps

2. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  3. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choose default apps by protocol in registry: HelloI would like to change the default apps by protocol in the registry.These are following protocols that need to be changed in registry- SIP- SIPS- TELWhere are they in the registryRegardsJuan...
  4. Choose default apps by protocol in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks

Windows 10 - Choose default apps by protocol sucks: Sorry, but I'm here to complain. I downloaded a certain application which associated a protocol to it. Then I changed the location of the application, and now I'm trying to manually change or delete the old entry to point to the new location of the executable. The new Windows...
  6. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  7. Help choosing default app for files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help choosing default app for files: Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called 'codecs webp' or similar so I could see my images on the default photo visualizer and it worked fine. Today, when I was going to...
  8. Choosing Default Apps

Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  9. choose default apps by file type

choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665
  10. Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps

Issues Trying to Choose Default Apps: Hi, As background information, please note that I have Office 2013 installed. Several issues are occurring when I try choose my default apps: 1) Calendar The Calendar app is installed and works, but it is not set as my default. When I click "Choose a default," I...