Windows 10: Choose when to install updates?

Discus and support Choose when to install updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have windows 10 Pro. When I go to check updates, if any are available it will automatically download and Install. Isn't there a way I can set things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Frank1, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Frank1 Win User

Choose when to install updates?

I have windows 10 Pro. When I go to check updates, if any are available it will automatically download and Install. Isn't there a way I can set things up so that I can choose when to download and install?

:)

Frank1, Sep 20, 2015

2. How to choose to install Windows updates when we want in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

1. What is the make and model of the system?

2. Which antivirus have you installed to perform the virus scan?

Perform the methods below and check.

Method 1: Defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you
    from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available

By checking Defer upgrades, feature upgrades like the Windows 10 Fall Update are delayed for 4 – 12 months, depending on other settings.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced options to see whether you have it; by default the option is disabled.
    Check if this option is disabled/ unchecked.

Note: Microsoft will not recommend the users to postpone the Windows Updates from being installed as there may be a fixes for the existing bugs and also security updates
    will be provided for the customers via Windows Updates.

Method 2: Refer the steps below for Automatic Windows Updates on & off
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. type in services.msc then hit
    enter

3. Look for Windows Update.

4. Right click then select
    Properties

5. On the Startup type, click
    Disabled

6. Click on Stop under Service status.

7. Click Apply and OK.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Sep 20, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    How to choose to install Windows updates when we want in Windows 10

You can no longer choose individual updates in Windows 10. In addition, all updates are cumulative.

BulldogXX, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Choose when to install updates?

You can set WU to Notify and download and install when you want manually.
    (run CMD as admin and enter, then check for updates for settings to apply):

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

Or you can choose, when WU should be installed, they will still download automatically.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

0 - Every day / 1 - Sunday / 2 - Monday / 3 - Tuesday / 4 - Wednesday / 5 - Thursday / 6 - Friday / 7 - Saturday
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "ScheduledInstallDay" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

10 - 10th hour / 23 - 23th hour
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "ScheduledInstallTime" /t REG_DWORD /d 10 /f

TairikuOkami, Sep 20, 2015
Thema:

Choose when to install updates?

1. Choose when to install updates? - Similar Threads - Choose install updates

2. Windows updated even when I choose not to.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updated even when I choose not to.: I recently had a prompt to update my windows when shutting down the PC, but because I had to leave I choose not to, I didn't have the time to wait for the install to finish, but then the install happened anyway. How do I stop this? It isn't really a problem that the machine...
  3. Windows updated even when I choose not to.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updated even when I choose not to.: I recently had a prompt to update my windows when shutting down the PC, but because I had to leave I choose not to, I didn't have the time to wait for the install to finish, but then the install happened anyway. How do I stop this? It isn't really a problem that the machine...
  4. Windows updated even when I choose not to.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Choose when updates are installed (feature and quality) options gone: Hi All First up some info: Win 10 Pro (Retail) 2004 OS Build: 19041.329 (If it matters) Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0 So I was just looking at this thread (thinking about resurrecting it but decided to start a new one): The Strange Case of...
  6. choose when to download or install updates?

choose when to download or install updates?: Hi. How can I stop windows 10 updates happening automatically? I want to control when this happens. Thank you, in advance, of any assistance with this :...
  7. "Pause updates" versus "Choose when updates are installed"

"Pause updates" versus "Choose when updates are installed": Windows 10 Professional, Version 1903 OS Build 18362.535 "Pause updates" versus "Choose when updates are installed" indicate they both temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device. What is the difference since they sound alike? Thanks in advance....
  8. Choosing which Windows updates to install?

Choosing which Windows updates to install?: Hi, I'm trying to update my windows PC, but windows also keeps trying to download update 1903. I do not want to download that update, but all the other updates, like net framework etc. I tried disabling windows updates, but that also disables the net framework updates. Is...
  9. When are is option coming back to Choose when Feature updates are installed for Win10 Pro?

When are is option coming back to Choose when Feature updates are installed for Win10 Pro?: I see it was removed on 1903, but on the inside builds is back again for Win10 Pro Used to have the option hold off Feature updates 0-365 days Thanks Gary...
  10. How To Choose Individual Updates To Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How To Choose Individual Updates To Install: Maybe I'm missing something obvious in Win 10. In the following screenshot, I only want to install the Win Defender update, and not the HP driver update. In fact, I want to ignore that update. With previous versions of Windows I was able to do that. Any ideas? Thanks!...