Windows 10: Choosing a Password Manager

Discus and support Choosing a Password Manager in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone, After using Windows 10 for several months, I finally decided to search for a free password manager for my HP. Well, I am not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ivan Petrov, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Choosing a Password Manager

Hello everyone,

After using Windows 10 for several months, I finally decided to search for a free password manager for my HP. Well, I am not familiar with those at all.

The question, which rise up in my head is:
    If I perform a clean install of Windows 10 /which I have done many times/ with format of C:, I have to install every program all over including the considered password manager. So far nothing to worry about. But after that what passwords will or have to be used, for example, for Google account, Facebook or Windows10Forum, etc. Are they the same as when they were created by me or randomly generated by the password manager?

Sorry, if I am not very clear but it is confusing for me. Once again in other words:

Will a future reinstall of Windows 10 and following reinstall of all programs, including a password manager, affect the passwords which I have now on a piece of paper? Which free password manager would you suggest?

Thank you all, will appreciate every opinion.

:)

Ivan Petrov, Sep 2, 2017

2. What password addons are available to ie11 and Edge

Both Edge and IE have built-in password management.... why do you want an Addon?

If you do choose a third-party password manager addon, turn off the built-in browser password manager.... you don't need two versions of the same thing running in the browser.... having two ..... could cause conflicts... and neither the build-in password manager
    or the Addon password manager may work properly.

Most problems in web browsers are caused by Addons by third-party vendors. All web browsers have native (built-in) password managers..... and other features (like popup blockers) that you don't need to install an unknown addon for.

Regards.

IECUSTOMIZER, Sep 2, 2017
  3. Password Manager Windows 7 Phone

Hi GlenMuir,

The Windows Phone 7 manage passwords by itself Choosing a Password Manager :)

By the way, on the Marketplace you'll find "Password Vault". It's up to you to choose which one you want!

Thanks!

Apple Power, Sep 2, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Choosing a Password Manager

I use lastpass. Its available on all the devices and desktops I use which makes it convenient. They also have a useful password generator which I recently used to change all the passwords on the sites I visit.

You can visit ninite.com for quite a few of your software and select what you need.

Website passwords won't change just because you format. Sites are hosted remotely, so nothing will change.

Reinstalling a password manager won't affect the passwords.

swarfega, Sep 2, 2017
  5. Winuser Win User
    I use KeePass 2 for my password manager.

Winuser, Sep 3, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Ditto on Lastpass here. They have an add-on for all major browsers incl Edge. Besides the random password generator, you can choose to auto login or, for extra security (say, on your bank site), prompt for master password before filling in user name and password.

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2017
  7. Thank you all for the advices!

Ivan Petrov, Sep 3, 2017
  8. Kamala Win User

Use keepass, it is freeware and you can get firefox add-on (keefox) which fills in automatically the logins on web-pages if u like.
    Else you can manually insert the login information with a few clicks from Keepass.
    It saves your passwords in an encrypted file, which you can save wherever you want to, and when you re-install Windows/Keepass, you just import that password file back into it.

There is also a portable version of Keepass,which you can carry around in your usb hard-drive or pen, and
    run it on any computer.

Kamala, Sep 3, 2017
  9. Doc943 Win User
    +1 Lastpass (subscribed)

Doc943, Sep 3, 2017
  10. isaccasi Win User
    LastPass (paid Cost 10 bucks)for sure.

isaccasi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Choosing a Password Manager - Similar Threads - Choosing Password Manager

2. password manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    password manager: I'm on Win 10 and use Google Chrome.Whenever I join anything that needs a username and password, a box drops down and asks meif I want to save those. I like that, but I haven't downloaded any manager.Is this something built into Google Chrome or Win10?Thanks,Betty Holt...
  3. password manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    password manager: I'm on Win 10 and use Google Chrome.Whenever I join anything that needs a username and password, a box drops down and asks meif I want to save those. I like that, but I haven't downloaded any manager.Is this something built into Google Chrome or Win10?Thanks,Betty Holt...
  4. password manager

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Boot Manager asks me to choose

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Manager asks me to choose: After migrating my OS to a new SSD I get asked to choose an operating system with a 30-second timer. The choices are Windows System 10 and Windows Setup.I have formatted the old HDD that contained Windows originally.I've tried Disc Cleanup and Clean System Files, and I've run...
  6. Password Managers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password Managers: Do you need more than 1 password manager, just in case something goes wrong with 1 of them? Would they have a conflict with each other?
  7. Password Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Manager: How does Password Manager work? I don't understand how you update & why PM doesn't update passwords when needed behind the scenes. And it totally confuses me when I enter a New Password and at the end, a box pops open and askes me IF I want to save the new password....
  8. Password Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Manager: Windows remembers and plugs in passwords for various websites. I keep getting an additional password plugged in on top of the new one I am trying to create. How do I stop the auto plugging of the password? How do I get to the password manager?...
  9. Password Manager Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password Manager Edge: Hi. I love the password manager but previously when I opened some sites, the Edge PM asked to remember password but I chose not to. Now each and everytime I go to that site I keep on entering PW manually. How can I undo that? So that next time I login I don't have to enter...
  10. Manage cellular connections - choose roaming operator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Manage cellular connections - choose roaming operator: Hi Is there any way to manage cellular connections (mobile broadband) better in Windows 10? I would like to be able to see available operators and choose to which to connect. Maybe there is an app that gives you that level of control? Thanks for any suggestions. 113569