Windows 10: Chrome+Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Good

Discus and support Chrome+Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Good in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This variant of a phishing attack uses unicode to register domains that look identical to real domains. These fake domains can be used in phishing... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by simrick, Apr 15, 2017.

1. simrick Win User

Chrome+Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Good

Read more here:
    Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Safe Sites

:)

simrick, Apr 15, 2017
  2. Evandave Win User

Norton Utilities Not working correctly in windows 10

Here is the official response from Norton:

Based on information Microsoft has provided to date, several browser-based protection and identity features that are provided in Norton products are not compatible with Edge, including Identity Safe, Safe Search, Safe Web, Anti-phishing, and Scam Insight.

We are investigating alternative ways to deliver these features for Microsoft Edge. In the meantime, we encourage customers using Norton security products to use Internet Explorer or another supported web browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to
    enjoy these features.

Microsoft has indicated that it will continue to improve Edge and will allow browser extensions in the near future.

Final answer: Do not use 'The Edge' if using Norton. They don't play well together!

Evandave, Apr 15, 2017
  3. Ad Blocker for Edge?

You can download adguard which is very good at blocking adds and phishing and rogue websites.

on windows 10 Edge and other browsers. Although adguard is not free you will get a 14 day free trial,

I tried it and it worked a treat.

I mainly use firefox and chrome when browsing and adguard blocks adds on most browsers.

If you don't want to pay then download firefox , chrome or opera and you can install adguard directly into your browser for free but it will not block malicious website that way, in order for you to block malicious websites you will need to download it to
    your pc then install and pay for it. Download it at adguard.com

ErrolCollins, Apr 15, 2017
  4. marsmimar Win User

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

marsmimar, Apr 15, 2017
  5. clam1952 Win User
    Well spotted, need to use the about:config fix on all Firefox based browsers such as Palemoon, Waterfox etc.

clam1952, Apr 15, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I knew there was a good reason I stick with IE - it shows the raw 'punycode’.

Oh... and so does Edge.

7. AndreTen Win User
    Is this confirmed for Edge? Currently with it... This is nasty one *Sad

Thanks for the heads up @simrick .

AndreTen, Apr 15, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

You can check out Edge, or any browser, using their sample site (in the original article). For me, Edge shows the correct site address.

Chrome+Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Good [​IMG]

simrick, Apr 15, 2017
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks for posting. Fix applied to Firefox.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 15, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    *Ditto Browsing in Edge on Insider preview and Fox fixed. Is Firefox syncing this settings? Anybody knows?

AndreTen, Apr 15, 2017
  11. simrick Win User
    I have no idea, as I don't sync. Maybe someone else who does can answer that. Would be good to know.

simrick, Apr 15, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Cheers @Fabler2 (that you?)

simrick, Apr 15, 2017
  13. Fabler2 Win User

Yup. *Smile

Fabler2, Apr 15, 2017
  14. Bob Cat Win User
    For Chrome, check out Punycode Alert on the Chrome Web Store.

Bob Cat, Apr 17, 2017
  15. EliteData Win User
    personally, i think this is a dumb move by FF and chrome in the world of cyber-insecurity to have this setting disabled by default.

EliteData, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Chrome+Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Domains Identical to Known Good - Similar Threads - Chrome+Firefox Phishing Attack

2. phishing attack

in Windows 10 Gaming
    phishing attack: My computer has been showing occasionally that there's some sort of Microsoft scan that has been run and I need to call Microsoft to take my computer back. I immediately turn off my computer to get out of it. I have McAfee running for security protection. I know that this is...
  3. phishing attack

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    phishing attack: My computer has been showing occasionally that there's some sort of Microsoft scan that has been run and I need to call Microsoft to take my computer back. I immediately turn off my computer to get out of it. I have McAfee running for security protection. I know that this is...
  4. Sudden Phishing Attack or Rootkit or Virus ????

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sudden Phishing Attack or Rootkit or Virus ????: I have no idea what is happening. I have seen the attempt just this afternoon on three of my networked PC's but, SO FAR, Malwarebytes AntiMalware Premium has blocked attempts on all three. Malwarebytes says "Malicious Website" - "Category: Phishing". This PC system is Windows...
  5. Phishing Attack?

Phishing Attack?: I keep getting this message, should I be worried? It started while I was working and checking hospital websites. I have checked svchost.exe with VirusTotal which came up negative. [img] 150293
  6. Phishing from domain mm-microsoft.com

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Phishing from domain mm-microsoft.com: I am getting emails from this domain and email *** Email address is removed for privacy *** Selling product keys and activation keys. This is a phishing domain ... what do we do?? Can anyone enlighten me??...
  7. Using Google Chrome Extensions in firefox?

in Browsers and Email
    Using Google Chrome Extensions in firefox?: Firefox says they're working on webextension support for their addons, potentially letting users install google chrome extensions on firefox for cross-compatibility or something, which is why I would really like to use the improvedtube chrome extension in firefox (its stupid...
  8. Phishing attacks

Phishing attacks: Since purchasing a new Windows 10 / Edge PC less than a month ago, it has undergone two phishing / malware attacks. The perpetrators would like you to think that their messages are Microsoft generated (I have screenshots if anyone is interested). Note that both Windows...
  9. Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Name Identical to Safe Sites

in Windows 10 News
    Chrome and Firefox Phishing Attack Uses Name Identical to Safe Sites: This is a Wordfence public service security announcement for all users of Chrome and Firefox web browsers: This variant of a phishing attack uses unicode to register domains that look identical to real domains. These fake domains can be used in phishing attacks to fool...
  10. Firefox Add-ons attacked

in Windows 10 News
    Firefox Add-ons attacked: NoScript and other popular Firefox add-ons open millions to new attack | Ars Technica 46530