Windows 10: Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites

Discus and support Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I think I’m seriously going crazy with this problem. Google Chrome keeps opening new tab with some spam sites (mostly https://go.mobiforth.com) but... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kaesgaan, May 14, 2017.

1. Kaesgaan Win User

Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites

I think I’m seriously going crazy with this problem. Google Chrome keeps opening new tab with some spam sites (mostly https://go.mobiforth.com) but also some other weird stuff. I searched around the web and I feel like I tried almost every possible solution that I found, but the problem still persists.*cry

Here’s what I tried so far:

• Junkware removal tool (it found something that seemed unrelated to this problem)
    • Adwcleaner
    • Malwarebytes
    • Avast full scan
    • Windows defender full scan
    • Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
    • Reseting Chrome settings
    • Uninstalling Chrome
    • Disabling all extensions
    • Checking if there is any new program installed (nothing suspicious)
    ...and none of this helped.

Does anyone know what I should do next or what causes this? It really bothers me and I’d like to get rid of it.
    Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

Kaesgaan, May 14, 2017

2. SYSTEM 32 VIRUS WITH GOOGLE CHROME

Every 20 minutes on the dot a cmd pops up for a slight second and opens a new google chrome tab no matter if chrome is open, and puts up a spam sight. I Have used several cleaners suggested by others including Microsoft's (MRT) I Believe it may be in System
    32 and a rundll file. Please I need all the help i can get. I'm scared it's a key logger or something worse.

KanyonGamer, May 14, 2017
  3. Website Redirecting on Edge

I am having problems where edge opens up a spam website after I have clicked a link on a real site.

For example:

I opened up my Banks website and clicked the log in button, a new tab opens with a site offering money advice or the hijack site. Closing the TAB and going back to original tab with the Bank Website and clicjong the same link opens up the Banks login page
    as it should.

I have tried clearing

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active

but no luck.

Any other ideas

Thanks

AlanBickham, May 14, 2017
  4. jl2509 Win User

Did you try looking inside the Chrome Settings, On Startup for the "open a specific set of pages"

Delete any pages within that you don't want.

Hope this helps

jl2509, May 14, 2017
  5. Kaesgaan Win User
    Thanks for your advice, but I checked it and there were no pages that I could delete. :/

Kaesgaan, May 14, 2017
  6. jl2509 Win User
    ok, try clearing cookies and cache from advanced settings, privacy

could also check manage exceptions

Failing this, try resetting Chrome to default settings, located at the very end of advanced settings.

Hope this helps.

jl2509, May 14, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    If you're syncing in Chrome, turn sync off.

Run Ccleaner Free on the browser and clear everything out of it.
    CCleaner - Free Download or try CCleaner Professional - Piriform

Run ADWCleaner; scan then clean. Post the logs.
    Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner\[C1}.txt
    Edit: please post the logs from the scans already run, then post logs from a new run.

Malwarebytes should have been a Custom Scan, with the box for Rootkits checked.
    Please post that scan log as well.

simrick, May 14, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User

Check to see what extensions you have installed and list them here.

swarfega, May 15, 2017
  9. WOT
    WOT Win User
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    You may need to temporarily disable SYNC inside Google's settings for persistant infections to go away.

Try looking for rootkits too using either Malwarebytes antimalware (custom scan, check option for scanning for rootkits) or Kaspersky's TDSS Killer.

eLPuSHeR, May 16, 2017
  11. Kaesgaan Win User
    Thanks everyone so much for you help!

I had syncing disabled, I cleared everything out of Chrome with CCleaner, tried running Adwcleaner again, but it found nothing, no malicious items found. I ran Malwarebytes custom scan with scan for rootkits checked, also with no luck. I guess posting the logs would be meaningless since it found nothing. I also tried the Chrome Cleanup tool and it didn't help, I tried using other browser (Firefox) and it works well, so this is probably a problem only with Chrome. I wasn't using any extensions since I removed them all.

After all of this, I was finally able to solve the problem - I closed everything that had to do with Chrome and Google in Task manager, uninstalled Chrome, ran CCleaner again and installed Chrome using Chrome alternate installer which allows you to install Chrome while being offline and the problem disappeared. I don't really know what caused it, but I'm happy that after trying so many things I finally got rid of it.

Thanks for your help and tips once more. *Smile

Kaesgaan, May 18, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting your fix. Please mark the thread as solved. Cheers. *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites - Similar Threads - Chrome keeps opening

2. This PC keeps popping while charging and keeps opening new tabs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    This PC keeps popping while charging and keeps opening new tabs: Why does This PC opens Automatically when laptop is charging? This PC keeps popping on my windows device and is causing problem when I am working. I tried various ways to fix this problem : -Uncheck the option "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices". -End File Explorer in...
  3. Chrome Opens a new tab links to suspicious website, is this a virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome Opens a new tab links to suspicious website, is this a virus?: Hello, chrome keeps randomly opening new tabs to the link: s1.toupdate15.com, I figured it is some kind of a virus or a software that I have to uninstall off my conputer but I don’t know how to locate it and permanently delete it. [Original Title: Virus??]...
  4. Links keep opening in new tab

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Links keep opening in new tab: Hi everyone. Recently I have been experiencing something new on my surface laptop 3. Previously, when I click on a website, for example, it would open in the same tab. However, recently, whenever I click on a link or website, it opens in a new tab resulting in so many tabs...
  5. Adware opens new chrome tab on windows 10 startup

Adware opens new chrome tab on windows 10 startup: Everytime I opened my PC in the last few days, Chrome would start on its own, opening a new tab with ads. I tried to look on [Task Manager>startup], and the Windows startup folder for any links/shortcuts, but nothing. Chrome settings appear to be clean. I also did a safety...
  6. new tab open in new edge

in Browsers and Email
    new tab open in new edge: sometimes when i login after sleep a new tab opens in new edge by itself it is different everytime 158737
  7. Introducing tab groups in Google Chrome to keep tabs on your tabs

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing tab groups in Google Chrome to keep tabs on your tabs: Coming to Chrome: a new way to use tabs There are two types of people in the world: tab minimalists who have just a few tabs open at a time and tab collectors who have...significantly more. For minimalists and collectors alike, we’re bringing a new way to...
  8. New tab and top sites

in Windows 10 Customization
    New tab and top sites: My computer updated today and now the top sites do not show up when I open a new tab https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-tab-and-top-sites/b69d074d-be84-4cf4-a049-babc3a268532
  9. Chrome keeps opening new tabs when I am on certain web pages

Chrome keeps opening new tabs when I am on certain web pages: Today morning I noticed than when I open Yahoo email or Facebook web pages, Chrome keeps opening new tabs. As a result, I cannot read or write an email. Other web pages seem OK for now. I scanned my laptop (windows 10) by defender and superantispyware and found nothing. Is it...
  10. Open in New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Open in New Tab: I have been using Chrome for a long time but I thought I would give Edge a try. In Chrome I am used to right-click a site and select "Open in New Tab". Is this possible in Edge? If yes, how? A right-click on a favorite does not offer me a menu in Edge as in Chrome. Thanks in...