Windows 10: Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page

Discus and support Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I noticed a strange behaviour when booting a relatively new installation of Windows 10. After logging in, Google Chrome opened shortly afterwards and... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Foraoise, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Foraoise Win User

Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page

I noticed a strange behaviour when booting a relatively new installation of Windows 10. After logging in, Google Chrome opened shortly afterwards and opened a go.microsoft.com link which led to this
    webpage:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10Chrome

It's listed nowhere on the startup section of taskmanager and I couldn't find any registry values pertaining to the go link or the URL it would go to afterwards. I tried to search the problem and saw that some Windows 10 update made it so that when the system shuts down it will relaunch any programs that were open during the shutdown sequence, but it wouldn't make sense for a go.microsoft.com link since that link only appears briefly before resolving to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...?os=windows-10 which I would imagine would appear first if the latter problem were the case. I tried seeing would it appear if I shutdown Windows with Chrome open on a single, unrelated webpage, and when it rebooted it opened the same microsoft link and alongside the other page, but has stopped since.

Would anyone have idea on what might cause this behaviour, or know where in Windows 10 the link is which leads to that URL? I'm just trying to figure out what may have caused this as it seems unusual and if it were possibly from having clicked a help link somewhere in Windows 10. Thank you for the help!

:)

Foraoise, Dec 11, 2017
  2. LizRules Win User

Windows 10 help page on startup after update.

Before I restarted, I disabled chrome from startup. It started up with Windows anyway. I feel that the Windows 10 help page triggered it to open because it was my default browser. I re-enabled it after this happened. My startup setting shows that it should
    open the New Tab page, which it did, along with the Windows 10 help page. What should I do?

LizRules, Dec 11, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Google Chrome Opens on Startup

Definitely something on your system startup is causing Chrome to open up

The Startup tab on Task Manager and msconfig offer limited options for stopping Startup Processes

Click HERE to download Autoruns from Technet, a small
    free utility that does not need installing. This utility will give you a much more detailed view of apps and processes starting with your system . . .

• Unzip the Download, right click either Autoruns.exe or Autoruns64.exe (depending on whether you are running 32bit or 64bit Window 10) and select 'Run as Administrator'
    • Scroll down to find any entry referring to MSN or Chrome (ignore updaters) and uncheck it
    • Restart your system and this annoyance should be gone

Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page [​IMG]

DaveM121, Dec 11, 2017
  4. torre Win User

Strange. I could not get that link to load with Edge or FF.

After a new installation of Win10, Edge will initially open to a Tips/Help Page. But the link page above seems to have something to do with Virtual ?

Have you cleared your cache in Chrome and Edge ? I would reset Chrome and Edge, run AdwCleaner, and your AV.

torre, Dec 11, 2017
  5. Foraoise Win User
    Woops, the link should be:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...?os=windows-10

I installed chrome not long after installing windows 10 and set it as the default browser - the link never opened with Edge. The link no longer opens during boot, it did it about two or three times. It's a very new install of Windows 10 and the only software I've downloaded is the software I used before without problems on Windows 7 and official laptop drivers. (Of which I scanned all and checked certificates)

I'm thinking a possible explanation is that I opened some help link before closing down and that it came back because of the new Windows update, or as you say, could be opening because it's a new install. (Would Windows updates trigger this?) I'm worried that it could be malware so I'll run a full scan in the meantime, although I think I am over worrying with that. Just for piece of mind I'd like to try figure out what might have caused it.

Foraoise, Dec 11, 2017
  6. torre Win User
    Would Windows updates trigger this? Don't think so.

Have you cleaned your cache with Chrome or CCleaner or reset Chrome ? Check your Chrome settings. Also, run AdwCleaner.

Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner

BTW, there is a new update to Win10 today, 12 Dec. Make sure you are current.

torre, Dec 12, 2017
  7. Foraoise Win User
    I downloaded the update and nothing appeared so that seems to rule out the possibility of it occurring because of an update. I ran a full scan of Windows Defender and also ran AdwCleaner which was clean. I don't think it's an issue with my Chrome settings since I haven't changed them and it hasn't occurred since the 2nd/3rd time it came up.

Foraoise, Dec 12, 2017
  8. Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page

This happened to me on two out of three computers. Right after updates came in, and rebooted. In my case it opened Firefox since that is my default browser.

Bobby Phoenix, Dec 12, 2017
  9. Foraoise Win User
    It seems to be delayed or something? I rebooted my PC after doing the update and nothing happened but today it has done it again. Just to confirm it's the same link it's opening, what is the go.microsoft.com/fwlink Link ID?

Foraoise, Dec 12, 2017
  10. I don't remember the exact page contents, but I do remember on top it said Windows 10 Help, and had a bunch of help links.

Bobby Phoenix, Dec 12, 2017
  11. I presume you've looked in the registry and found nothing here that would start Chrome?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

And you've looked in these folders?
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    C:\Users\<USER-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And you've tried the freebie Autoruns program?

margrave55, Dec 13, 2017
  12. Foraoise Win User
    I've searched those registry keys and start up folders with no indication of Google Chrome being set to launch anything. I searched the URL that opens (Which is an official Microsoft URL) and it doesn't appear anywhere in the registry. I

I've used Autoruns and the only Chrome entries are for the usual update services it runs and installer processes. Booted the machine today and it didn't open. Very peculiar problem - whatever causes it to launch doesn't seem to be permanently tied to the start up sequence since there seems to be no indication of that whatsoever and doesn't seem to be consistent either - If it's because of an update I'll have to wait for another update to figure out, unless there is another way of finding out what does This.

Foraoise, Dec 13, 2017
  13. Helmut Win User

Fussing about nothing, It's just Windows 10 advertising new features by starting your default Web Browser. Windows Support in this case.
    The obvious thing to do is go through Windows 10 settings on a new install or after one of those version updates. Something over 100 settings need looking at, mainly Privacy. it does not take long but it is necessary.

Helmut, Dec 14, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    There has been a long discussion about this elsewhere. It is due to a new feature.

Simply use

alt+f4, shutdown

or create shortcuts

shutdown /s /hybrid /t 0

shutdown /r /t 0

You can switch this new feature off in Insider versions.

cereberus, Dec 14, 2017
  15. Tungs7en Win User
    Hello, I have the same problem. It's weird because it doesn't happen every time. However I did multiple test and, whatever the web browser you use, it still happens. I tried EDGE, FIREFOX, and CHROME. Most of the time the "windows 10 help" page keeps opening for no reason...

I'm so tired of windows 10 flat design, glitches, problems, and microsoft bad decisions, that i'm considering going back to Windows 7...

Tungs7en, Feb 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Chrome Opens On Startup And Opens Microsoft Windows 10 help page - Similar Threads - Chrome Opens Startup

2. Help pages keep on opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help pages keep on opening: In my browsers like chrome/edge, tabs with how to get help on Microsoft keeps opening up by itself. If the internet is off, then HP hardware diagnostics pops up. There are days when I work just fine, but suddenly the problem erupts. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard from...
  3. Help pages keep on opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help pages keep on opening: In my browsers like chrome/edge, tabs with how to get help on Microsoft keeps opening up by itself. If the internet is off, then HP hardware diagnostics pops up. There are days when I work just fine, but suddenly the problem erupts. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard from...
  4. Chrome not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome not opening on Windows 10: I downloaded Chrome recently and it will not open properly It starts for about half a second then disappears. For some reason its compatibility mode is set to Windows 8, then when I open the properties tab and select compatibility it only shows compatibility mode options for...
  5. Chrome not opening on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome not opening on Windows 10: I downloaded Chrome recently and it will not open properly It starts for about half a second then disappears. For some reason its compatibility mode is set to Windows 8, then when I open the properties tab and select compatibility it only shows compatibility mode options for...
  6. Adware opens new chrome tab on windows 10 startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adware opens new chrome tab on windows 10 startup: Everytime I opened my PC in the last few days, Chrome would start on its own, opening a new tab with ads. I tried to look on [Task Manager>startup], and the Windows startup folder for any links/shortcuts, but nothing. Chrome settings appear to be clean. I also did a safety...
  7. Microsoft opening page

Microsoft opening page: I saw an image on the opening page that incorrectly identified the location. How can this be corrected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-opening-page/d818cb7f-e373-42d0-809b-f37f28771e13
  8. Opening Browser To Last Page On Startup

Opening Browser To Last Page On Startup: Earlier I started my laptop and a video I was last watching on my laptop started playing at the sign-in screen. This was really embarrassing as I was in a meeting and the sound playing was from mid-fight in a TV series, so characters were shouting 'motivations' at each other....
  9. Start page open the Microsoft page

Start page open the Microsoft page: It’s really annoying but I cannot set Google as a start page. Whatever I do ends in with Microsoft page. I changed browsers Chrome, Firefox, Edge, I.E. but no avail. I tried to set the start page in all browsers to Google but also no avail. I don’t know what else I can do...
  10. Chrome will not open. Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome will not open. Windows 10: since the Windows 10 updatea couple of days ago Chrome will not open. It appears to open but the tabs have sad face icons. Internetis fine and if I get to Chrome via another browser it recognises my account and has all my favourites in place. Have tried uninstalling but...