Windows 10: Chrome taskbar icon fails to launch repeatedly

Discus and support Chrome taskbar icon fails to launch repeatedly in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; i can create a Chrome taskbar Icon by right clicking the chrome.exe file. When I first launch Chrome using the taskbar icon it launches as it should.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cliff G, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Cliff G Win User

Chrome taskbar icon fails to launch repeatedly

i can create a Chrome taskbar Icon by right clicking the chrome.exe file. When I first launch Chrome using the taskbar icon it launches as it should. However, for reasons unknown to me, after a period of time the Chrome Taskbar icon loses its functionally and I get the following error if I try to re-launch Crome using the Taskbar Chrome Icon : This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel.

Everything seems to be set up as it should in the Settings.

Is there a way to correct this?

Solution was to download a new copy of Chrome and reinstall. Seems to be working, at least for the first hour or so.

:)

Cliff G, Aug 7, 2015
  2. dpepper73 Win User

Why do my quick launch icons flash when I click on the Chrome quick launch icon? Win 10

I chose the "Desktop, Start, & Personalization" help topic because my question deals with the quick launch icons on the taskbar. I call them Quick Launch icons. Others may call them Taskbar icons. They're the small icons on the taskbar next to the Start
    icon.

Here's my issue: Whenever I click on the Google Chrome quick launch icon, the other quick launch icons flash once, although not necessarily at the same time, while Chrome is being loaded. This also happens when I double-click the Google Chrome shortcut
    icon on my desktop. Sometimes, but not always, a few or all of my desktop icons will turn white for a split second while Chrome is being loaded.

I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro. I've been using Windows 10 ever since it became available, but this problem only started about 3 weeks ago. I use Avira Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and I run scans with them on a weekly basis, sometimes more
    often.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any other performance issues.

dpepper73, Aug 7, 2015
  3. ystephsh Win User
    On Windows 10 Home, can't launch apps from search result

What I have so far:

Test case:

1. click on Win10 start button on lower left hand corner.

2. Press "n" "o" "t" "e" "p" --> notepad should be highlighted

3. Press <enter> --> no launch of notepad

0. It stops working about 4 wks ago.

1. With my son's account ( standard user ), it launches notepad; with mine ( admin ), it does nothing.

2. "notep" or "notepad" don't work. If I use "notepad." at step #2, <enter> will launch it.

3. Notepad is not in the start menu. Not sure if it was there before.

4. With "notep" at step #2, r-click shows a popup menu with only "Ping to Start".

5. With "notepad." at step #2, r-click shows a popup menu with "Run as admin", "Open file location", "Ping to start", "ping to taskbar".

6. With "foobar" at step #2, <enter> launches IE and searches.

Not sure if it matters, I have Chrome on taskbar. Clicking on it launches a chrome window, but it adds another chrome icon on my taskbar. All subsequent chrome instances group with the 2nd chrome icon on taskbar.

ystephsh, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

Chrome taskbar icon fails to launch repeatedly

1. Chrome taskbar icon fails to launch repeatedly - Similar Threads - Chrome taskbar icon

2. Taskbar icons triggers incorrect app/window launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons triggers incorrect app/window launch: Hi,I'm running W11 on a SurfacePRO7.When coming back from sleep-mode I'm experiencing:- clock is not always updated. It looks like the clock indicates the time when the machine went in sleep mode annoying but you can continue working- icons on the taskbar of apps open...
  3. Taskbar quick launch icons vs open apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar quick launch icons vs open apps: [IMG] submitted by /u/DarkSkyViking [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jojg67/taskbar_quick_launch_icons_vs_open_apps/
  4. Google Chrome will not launch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google Chrome will not launch: Yesterday all was fine. This morning I clicked, as usual, on my Google Chrome shortcut on my desktop. It would not work. I tried the icon on the launch bar. Won't work. I checked and there was a Windows 10 update last night. I googled on my other pc and saw a couple of...
  5. Google Chrome not launching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google Chrome not launching: I cannot launch Chrome from my Surface Pro/Windows 10. Tried uninstalling, but it says it's already open which it is not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-not-launching/60ef656b-8b87-4017-a472-0a5375c345c0
  6. repeat fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    repeat fail: 0x800703e3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repeat-fail/2a3a55bd-2b52-4c84-a95b-14d60522eb75
  7. Chrome taskbar icon in Windows 10 1809.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chrome taskbar icon in Windows 10 1809.: It seems that with Windows 10 Pro 1809 my Chrome taskbar icon isn't static. This is with my desktop computer. What I mean is, with prior version of Windows 10 Pro I could click on the Chrome icon to open a page, and when the page opened the Chrome icon itself would still be...
  8. 7+ Taskbar Tweaker duplicate blank taskbar icons for Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    7+ Taskbar Tweaker duplicate blank taskbar icons for Chrome: On both my Windows 10 home PC and work computer, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker causes duplicate buttons on the taskbar of Chrome that turn invisible: [img] As you can see in the image, there are two blank icons in front of the Chrome icon. Both of these are working and open...
  9. Performance of Pinned Chrome Icon in Taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Performance of Pinned Chrome Icon in Taskbar: I just reinstalled Windows 10, and Chrome's behavior has changed. Previously, when I clicked on the pinned Chrome icon in the taskbar and a Chrome tab opened, the original pinned icon was the only Chrome icon on the taskbar; and if I clicked on that original icon, I returned...
  10. Chrome won't launch when pinned to taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome won't launch when pinned to taskbar: Hello I have chrome pinned to the task bar but it won't simply launch the application like it does with all the my other icons. I have to keep right clicking it and then choosing chrome within the menu - kinda annoying. Is there a way to change this behaviour so it will...