Windows 10: Chrome will not launch when windows 8 mode selected.

Discus and support Chrome will not launch when windows 8 mode selected. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When you open Chrome and select re-launch in Windows 8 mode, it closes. It is then impossible to relaunch chrome unless you right click it and choose... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tuck4x4, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tuck4x4 Win User

Chrome will not launch when windows 8 mode selected.

When you open Chrome and select re-launch in Windows 8 mode, it closes. It is then impossible to relaunch chrome unless you right click it and choose as run as admin.

IUninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling is the only thing that worked.

:)

tuck4x4, Mar 19, 2015
  2. apoc112 Win User

Trouble using webex within Windows 10?

I experienced the same issues as many other have indicated... it was working, but it stopped working in the past week or so across all my browsers.

After seeing some solutions offered here (IE Tab) I tried launching Chrome in windows 8 compatibility mode and it works completely fine for me with no other changes or extensions.

To change compatibility modes:

• right click the application in your task bar (if it's chrome, right click again on "Google Chrome" in the menu)
    • go to Properties
    • go to the Compatibility tab
    • check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose Windows 8 in the dropdown box
    Close the browser and re-launch it before trying to join a webex meeting.

apoc112, Mar 19, 2015
  3. GOOGLE CHROME NOT WORKING ON WINDOWS TEN TEN NOT 8 BUT TEN

google chrome is not working after the upgrade to windows 10. everytime it launched, the screen just reads "this webpage is not available" even though I just opened the same page on Microsoft edge. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall (offline installer)
    chrome, as well as running it in compatibility mode with windows 8, and nothing works. this is especially frustrating when some websites do not support 64bit, hence does not work well on Microsoft edge and chrome and firefox do not work on windows 10 at the
    same time. is there a 32 bit of Microsoft edge or a work ard the chrome issue?

Jia WenKew, Mar 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 19, 2015
  5. tuck4x4 Win User
    No, it did not work for me. I tried that before resorting to uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling Chrome.

tuck4x4, Mar 20, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 20, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    There's a few issues with this, one thing is that Chrome has to be your default browser.

Edwin, Mar 20, 2015
  8. swarfega Win User

Thought I'd try this and sure enough Chrome refuses to launch.

Here is the steps needed to fix this:

1. Open task manager and make sure there are no running instances of Chrome.
    2. Run regedit
    3. navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Chrome\Metro
    4. change launch_mode from 0 to 1

Relaunch Chrome and it should be ok.
    Set it to default browser, close it.
    Relaunch again and it should still run.

Original solution source: Google Groups

swarfega, Mar 20, 2015
  9. Kesto Win User
    I wished win8 mode and desktop modd could work like it does on IE, no need to select "launch chrome in windows 8 mode" when set as default browser *Sad.

Kesto, Mar 20, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    Am I missing something? IE doesn't launch in Metro mode any more does it? Which is presumably why chrome doesn't work in Metro mode either..

adamf, Mar 20, 2015
  11. swarfega Win User
    Google changed the way that worked from Metro mode to its own alternative desktop thing and its this newer iteration which isn't working.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Chrome will not launch when windows 8 mode selected. - Similar Threads - Chrome launch mode

2. Google chrome immediately crashes when launched.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Google chrome immediately crashes when launched.: Hello, my google chrome instantly crashes when i double-click on it.When i launch it from a different window user on the same computer, it works.Im on windows 10.When i spam click on it, it works after a dozen of clicks and starts a single tab, then it crashes whenever it...
  3. chrome doesn't launch when it's running when in sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chrome doesn't launch when it's running when in sleep: Just recently about every four times I bring the laptop out of sleep chrome won't launch. I found a website that told me to check the task manager and if it is there to "end task". and then it launches fine. When I look in the task manager I find two google chromes that are...
  4. Google Chrome will not launch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google Chrome will not launch: Yesterday all was fine. This morning I clicked, as usual, on my Google Chrome shortcut on my desktop. It would not work. I tried the icon on the launch bar. Won't work. I checked and there was a Windows 10 update last night. I googled on my other pc and saw a couple of...
  5. Windows 10 Google Chrome will not launch

Windows 10 Google Chrome will not launch: Hi, Google Chrome has stopped working on my PC Windows 10. A few weeks ago, it just stopped opening. It is pinned to the taskbar and is open in Task Manager but it is not visible on my screen. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no change. Any ideas how...
  6. Google Chrome not launching

Google Chrome not launching: I cannot launch Chrome from my Surface Pro/Windows 10. Tried uninstalling, but it says it's already open which it is not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome-not-launching/60ef656b-8b87-4017-a472-0a5375c345c0
  7. Unable to launch Chrome in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to launch Chrome in Windows 10: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and every time I try to launch an app I receive an error meesage stating Adobe creative cloud is needed to repait the error. It has also made my computer very slow at start up...
  8. Launch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode while in Tablet Mode?

in Browsers and Email
    Launch Chrome in Windows 8 Mode while in Tablet Mode?: I have an Asus Transformer Book, and when I pull the tablet part off the keyboard, Windows 10 automatically switches into tablet mode. I'm wondering if it's possible to have Chrome automatically open into WIndows 8 Mode when Windows 10 is in tablet mode. I like to use Windows...
  9. Chrome Constantly Crashes On Launch

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Constantly Crashes On Launch: Hello everyone, I have an odd issue here. Google Chrome on my laptop keeps crashing upon launch. The window will open, show up white for 3-5 seconds then just close itself. Weird thing is I dont get any sort of error message or anything. It just simply crashes. Ive done...
  10. Chrome won't launch when pinned to taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome won't launch when pinned to taskbar: Hello I have chrome pinned to the task bar but it won't simply launch the application like it does with all the my other icons. I have to keep right clicking it and then choosing chrome within the menu - kinda annoying. Is there a way to change this behaviour so it will...