Windows 10: CIA Infection of Routers

Discus and support CIA Infection of Routers in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What do the forum's security experts think of this? https://arstechnica.com/security/201...stening-posts/ 86979 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve C, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

CIA Infection of Routers

Steve C, Jun 16, 2017

2. Get a message saying I need to provide my email address to unblock-us.com

Routers can become infected, too! After making certain your Win10 computer is not (or is no longer) infected, reinstall the router - don't just reset it.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Jun 16, 2017
  3. LCRT Win User
    Unwonted advt in my LUMIA 720

the issue is with your network. your router is probably infected with something.

4. CIA Infection of Routers

There is not really much users can do. Router are always enjoying being a favorite target. I know my router is vulnerable to an exploit, Linksys promised a prompt firmware update, months ago, still waiting. *Rolleyes

I prefer as dumb router as possible, the more advanced expensive router, the more exploitable it is.
    Security precautions are recommended, always disable features, which you are not using, especially UPnP.
    Change router's password and use 63-characters long WiFi password, all you have to do is to copy/paste it.
    Setup DNS on your computer, it overrides router's DNS, so you can be protected in case of DNS hijacking.

TairikuOkami, Jun 16, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jun 16, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    Looks like mostly older routers. None of the Linksys ones seem recent, and are mostly the Wireless B, and G variety.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

CIA Infection of Routers

1. CIA Infection of Routers - Similar Threads - CIA Infection Routers

2. CIA Hacking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CIA Hacking: My name is Erik Higa. The CIA has been hacking my phone and computer. They want to intimidate me into signing a record deal I am never going to sign. They have just lost their national security clearance but they are still hacking me....
  3. CIA Hacking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CIA Hacking: My name is Erik Higa. The CIA has been hacking my phone and computer. They want to intimidate me into signing a record deal I am never going to sign. They have just lost their national security clearance but they are still hacking me....
  4. CIA Hacking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Infected?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Infected?: Is this a legitimate notice from Microsoft, or is this part of the infection? Is the phone number shown a legitimate phone number for Microsoft? Does this suggest that all of my devices linked to my Microsoft log in are infected? this inquiry is on behalf of my wife, not my...
  6. Hackers opening SMB ports on routers to infect PCs with NSA malware

in Windows 10 News
    Hackers opening SMB ports on routers to infect PCs with NSA malware: Akamai has detected an ingenious malware campaign that alters configurations on home and small office routers to open connections toward internal networks so crooks can infect previously isolated computers. The way hackers achieve this, Akamai said, is via a technique known...
  7. IoT botnet infects 100,000 routers to send spam

in Windows 10 News
    IoT botnet infects 100,000 routers to send spam: A new botnet made up of roughly 100,000 home routers has silently grown over the past two months. According to current evidence, the botnet's operators appear to use the infected routers to connect to webmail services and are most likely sending out massive email spam...
  8. US takes aim at Russian hackers who infected over 500,000 routers

in Windows 10 News
    US takes aim at Russian hackers who infected over 500,000 routers: More than half a million routers and network devices in 54 countries have been infected with sophisticated malware, researchers from Cisco's Talos Intelligence Group warn. The malware, which the security researchers are calling VPNFilter, contains a killswitch for routers,...
  9. Skype hacked by CIA

in Windows 10 News
    Skype hacked by CIA: Skype has been comprised and targeted by your friendly neighborhood CIA agent as revealed in latest WikiLeaks leak, code-named "Vault 7". This is not trivial since Skype boasts that it has more than 300 million monthly active users as of March 2016. Recent CIA Wikileaks...
  10. Notepad++ 7.3.3 update fixes CIA vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    Notepad++ 7.3.3 update fixes CIA vulnerability: The developers of the popular third-party text editor Notepad++ released version 7.3.3 which fixes a vulnerability found in the leaked Vault 7 files. Wikileaks started to release so-called Vault 7 files the other day; a cache of confidential documents on the U.S. Central...