Windows 10: Cipher vs Format on non-system disks

Discus and support Cipher vs Format on non-system disks in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; No question, just raising a subject to see whether I am right or wrong... cipher /W:X versus format X: /fs:NTFS /p:2 cipher takes quite a long time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, May 17, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Cipher vs Format on non-system disks

No question, just raising a subject to see whether I am right or wrong...

cipher /W:X
    versus
    format X: /fs:NTFS /p:2

cipher takes quite a long time, even for a small disk.
    (as a test: cipher took about 40 minutes for a 5GB HDD-partition)

for non-system disks (like backups) :
    temporarily copy all folders and files to another drive
    run above Format-cmd (admin)
    and restore the folders and files

will probably a much faster way.
    drawback: one may not have sufficient free space to move/copy hundreds of GB (or even a few TBs)...

:)

tfwul, May 17, 2018

2. formatting a disk

all of a sudden when a put a blank disc in to download info from my computer it wont work, says enter a formatted disk or u need to format the disk, but there is nothing for me to enter to format, just cannot get in to format, before I just placed a disk,
    went to dvd drive and clicked the format I wanted to use now cannot get to info box to format, have tried several different new disks, have clean dvd player, anybody any help, cannot get any info online,

t.arodgers, May 17, 2018
  3. graye Win User
    Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, May 17, 2018
Thema:

Cipher vs Format on non-system disks

1. Cipher vs Format on non-system disks - Similar Threads - Cipher Format non

2. ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk: I had some folders under cipher from windows bitlocker and I planned to format the unit that contained them, so I placed them on an external disk, hoping that after formatting the disk I could keep using the files. I didn't know that I needed to decipher them before, and I...
  3. ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk: I had some folders under cipher from windows bitlocker and I planned to format the unit that contained them, so I placed them on an external disk, hoping that after formatting the disk I could keep using the files. I didn't know that I needed to decipher them before, and I...
  4. ciphered files in win10 after formatting a disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Non system disk in system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non system disk in system image: I trying to create system image in Windows 10. Chose where I want to save the backup, after that system shows to me what drives will be backed up: EFI System Partition Game_Storage E: System Recovery Partition System C: System Problem is that Game_Storage E: is not...
  6. Non-System DIsk

Non-System DIsk: I'm using a ASUS TUF505DD-AL040, and decided to upgrade my hard drive, I installed it and used a boot key to reinstall windows 10. I got a "Non-system Disk " error and it seems I can't install windows. I tried to reinstall my old hard drive who still got windows 10 on it and...
  7. Non-system disk error

Non-system disk error: Hi, I was stuck on the windows 10 recovery blue screen like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/computer-wont-boot-stuck-on-blue-recovery-screen/084b8ddc-6ace-4581-a5d8-0491748dcb1a So I started to follow the solution that was told...
  8. revovery usb disk vs system repair disk vs system image

in Windows 10 Support
    revovery usb disk vs system repair disk vs system image: Hi Guys Scenario: if system is unable to boot, windows corrupted ,crashed completely. 1. Could you please clarify the difference between the Usb recovery disk and system repair disk created by the windows 10. And if I have my system image created already the do I really...
  9. NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD: Hello. I have a SSD just for gaming. That is. A standalone partition without boot (only data; Steam and other games are stored there). I am wondering if I would gain any benefit from going from NTFS to ExFAT. Your opinions are welcome. 18291
  10. Non system disk but why ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Non system disk but why ?: Hi ! I am trying to make a image of my C drive. I go into the process and the F drive is checked and I cannot uncheck it. It is seen as a system drive but it's only a drive that stores data. [img] [img] Is there a way to fix this without loosing all the data...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cipher vs format

2. whats is faster format p or cipher w