Windows 10: Classic Default Programs not working anymore

Discus and support Classic Default Programs not working anymore in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So as we know, in Windows 10 Redstone 3, the classic Default Programs which gives you full access to what extensions each program handles has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Snappy Phoenix, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Classic Default Programs not working anymore

So as we know, in Windows 10 Redstone 3, the classic Default Programs which gives you full access to what extensions each program handles has been replaced with the very basic PC Settings varian of the Default Programs which doesn't fully associate a program with all the extensions that it can handle.

The solution was to create a shortcut that brings back the old classic default programs and it worked fine:

Code: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram[/quote] When you first install Windows 10 Redstone 3 Build 16299.15, that shortcut works fine and when you try to associate a program with its default, it does work.

After doing the Windows updates though, when you try this, it wouldn't work, you would hit the Set this program as default button but nothing happens

In Redstone 4, same thing

So does anyone have a solution to this to have it working again?

When installing apps like video players, and whatnot, this is very annoying as it leaves out many files and doesn't associate everything the way it should.

:)

Snappy Phoenix, Mar 15, 2018

2. Can't set Chrome as default browser in Windows 10

Craig,

As a workaround, use the classic Default Programs UI for setting the default browser. In the Default apps window, click
    Set defaults by app. This opens the Default Programs Control Panel (Classic user interface, which still works great) where you can choose your defaults.

See also: [Fix] Unable to Set Default File Association Using Default Apps in Windows 10

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 15, 2018
  3. .url files not working correctly

Set defaults by app opens the classic Default Programs, which was my alternate suggestion in my last post. Excellent! Glad it's now fixed.

Another option is to try resetting the defaults via classic Default Programs. Right-click Start, click Control Panel, Default Programs, Set your default programs. Select Chrome
    and set as default.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 15, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Classic Default Programs not working anymore

Yup!
    Used to be as easy as:
    1 - Choose defaults...
    2 - Set all possible defaults...
    3 - Adjust protocols

Now it's a huge P•I•T•A!

Classic Default Programs not working anymore [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 15, 2018
  5. mrgeek Win User
    You can use these command prompt/powershell commands to revert to the Control Panel interface shown. This command will get your screenshot view, if you click a program. Only "P-I-T-A" is that the window needs to reload after each settings change. *Mad To get classic "Set your default programs" interface in 1709:
    control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram

This one will open classic "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" interface in 1709:
    control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc

mrgeek, Mar 15, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Tried it recently? I have, and I can click and change things then save. But when I open 'set your default programs' again all the settings are back to how they were before I did anything *Sad

The pageFileAssoc works (for now?)

7. mrgeek Win User
    *Banghead

mrgeek, Mar 15, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

Nope!
    Tries to load then Explorer crashes!

Edwin, Mar 16, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    That's no my experience in 16299.309.

I can run Set Default Programs with either of these commands... Code: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageDefaultProgram or... control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc[/quote] ...without any risk of Explorer crashing. Once running I can select an app, use 'change defaults for this program', tick all/none/some of the boxes at will and 'Save' the changes. The only thing I can't do is make any of my changes stick *Banghead

You're not on an Insider build, are you? If not, there's something else crashing your Explorer, all MS seem to have done is disable the controls.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Classic Default Programs not working anymore - Similar Threads - Classic Default Programs

2. Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11: Hi, I have downloaded and installed Classic Paint in Win 11, as I am too old to learn the user unfriendly New Paint or the incredibly slow Photos App.Whilst it works perfectly, as it always did, with all of its logical and easy to find bells and whistles, it doesn't appear in...
  3. Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11: Hi, I have downloaded and installed Classic Paint in Win 11, as I am too old to learn the user unfriendly New Paint or the incredibly slow Photos App.Whilst it works perfectly, as it always did, with all of its logical and easy to find bells and whistles, it doesn't appear in...
  4. Registry default icons customization not working anymore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Registry default icons customization not working anymore?: Greetings, I like to change many default icons (drive, folder, documents, downloads, pictures, desktop, web, control panel, recycling bin etcc). Not just manually replacing the icon of each folder individually. I used to go through two different paths: Edit the resources...
  5. The Theming is not working properly in the programs and features of the classic control panel

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Theming is not working properly in the programs and features of the classic control panel: The Theming is not working properly in the programs and features of classic control panel when turning on dark theme of explorer programs and features is illegible and inoperable due to not being able to read it This is the issue in the image below [ATTACH]...
  6. Windows default programs not working

Windows default programs not working: Hi I currently have a problem with running the default windows apps like the windows store, calculator, maps and so on. It has weird text when I go to the apps and features setting. The picture below shows the weird names of the apps that are not working. if anyone has had...
  7. A program doesn't work anymore

A program doesn't work anymore: Hey there, A few days ago, my PC ran into a problem and restarted while I was playing a game. After that, I have not been able to open the game anymore. Unfortunately, there is no error message to be posted. Can anyone help me out with this problem? Regards....
  8. Microsoft Classic Jigsaw programing

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Classic Jigsaw programing: I love puzzles and would like to see one programing improvement in Classic Jigsaw. I would like to be able to control click on several pieces and then move those pieces to a desired location with the move of the last piece. This would provide a great improvement and remove...
  9. Default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default programs: I have set up my default browser properly and when I start it, after startup, it asks me t;o make it the default browser; I have to set it up again and I still get the "make me the default browser" . I know how to do it properly, I've been doing it for years, also the...
  10. "Open With" then "Use by Default" Doesn't work anymore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open With" then "Use by Default" Doesn't work anymore?: So maybe i stopped updating windows when i Heard that MS was Deleting our files. Then some time later i found out that "Use By Default" function isn't setting the Application to use for opening a certain file. Like this : [img] So i thought something probably went...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. set default programs classic not working