Windows 10: Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10

Discus and support Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I won't use it, but here it is... Classic Shell 4.2.0 beta is released. You can download it from:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Vladimir, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Vladimir Win User

Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10

I won't use it, but here it is...

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

*Smile

:)

Vladimir, Feb 24, 2015

2. Why Windows 10 Anneverary Edition will not work on some computers...

OK, So after a little research into Ubuntu, who's version of GNU (pronounced new) Bash (a Linux 4.2 kernel-based command prompt used and customized by Ubuntu Linux developers) that Microsoft is integrating into Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, is not yet
    compatible with Intel's Skylake CPU's (6th generation Intel Core i series processors).

What this means is that if your Intel CPU has a number designation wherein the first number is a 6 (ie Intel Core (insert "i3 6xxx", "i5 6xxx", or "i7 6xxx" here), and has the Intel HD 530 graphics chipset (which most Skylake processors do have on dye),
    the anniversary edition will not be able to install and run. This is because Skylake's integrated graphics (Intel HD530) chipset only supports Linux 4.3- based shells whereas the Ubuntu GNU Bash shell used in Windows 10 Anniversary only supports up to Linux

The culprit is, specifically, the lack of support for shells using Linux 4.2 kernel drivers for the Intel HD530 graphics chipset. The Ubuntu Bash shell used in Windows 10 Anniversary is based around Linux 4.2....and the Intel HD530 graphics chipset drivers are
    only compatible with Linux 4.3 kernel's or newer.

NateArnold, Feb 24, 2015
  3. Jack 7 Win User
    Can the classic shell of Widows 8 be applied to Windows 10

Original Title - Windows Classic Shell

Can the classic shell of Widows 8 be applied to Windows 10

Jack 7, Feb 24, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Jeeez, everybody's jumpin on the bandwagon! *Wink

Edwin, Feb 24, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Yeah, it makes you wonder why some should upgrade to Win10 if they plan on using these replacement start menu tools. So far the one that is supplied from MS suites my needs.

BunnyJ, Feb 24, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    For people who never had XP or 7, 10 is not a big deal. I personally don't use the native 10 start menu, even on 8. I don't need big icons. I don't need apps. *Smile But change is inevitable. Instead of whining about the new start menu, I just use the Classic Shell. Done.

badrobot, Feb 24, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I used Classic Shell when I used Win8.1 with Spring Update. Overall I like having the start menu and the one that MS added natively to Win10 is very good addition. I would rather see MS making the start menu more customizable than it is now. Choice is a good thing and MS needs to provide that.

BunnyJ, Feb 24, 2015
  8. Vladimir Win User

I totally agree !

I would never install a replacement for a feature that already exists in Windows 10.
    But for those who still complain, Start10 or Classic Shell are fair options.

*Smile

Vladimir, Feb 24, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Both are nice options and I used Classic Shell for Win8/Win8.1 but I just like the Start Menu that comes with Win10. I don't have to add a third party tool and it allows me to use the metro tiles in the start menu.

BunnyJ, Feb 24, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    It's not a replacement start menu. The native Win 10 start menu is still there within the Classic Shell start menu just a click away.

badrobot, Feb 24, 2015
  11. It's good that 3rd Party Software is there to provide for the needs of those that want a more flexible Start Menu/Screen.

WightWalker, Feb 24, 2015
  12. badrobot Win User
    Exactly. More importantly, it's FREE.
    If it isn't free, maybe I'll be forced to take whatever MS pushes down my throat.

badrobot, Feb 24, 2015
  13. Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10

I still prefer Start8 which only cost a few bucks which I'm using with Toggle Start Menu/Screen to give me a classic Windows 7 Start Menu with the choice of a Start Screen.

WightWalker, Feb 24, 2015
  14. Until MS changed their new Start Menu to be metro-only, I would have agreed that the default one was good enough. But, I liked the Start menu style provided by Startdock in Start8, and now that they have a beta of Start10 out, that is another option. But, classic shell deserves a close look.

Mark Phelps, Feb 24, 2015
  15. GaryCN Win User
    I like this, it makes navigating the menu more of what I have been accustomed to.

GaryCN, Feb 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Classic Shell officially

2. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  4. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: what is the purpose of classic shell ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-shell/65de2760-eb0a-4c92-9b25-76aadb23625d
  5. Classic Shell to Classic Start

Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  6. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: 1.classic shell needs to configure itself 2. an administrator has blocked you from running this ap. I have an HP notebook and keep getting the above messages every time I use my laptop and I would like to continue to use classic shell, and have tried unsuccessfully to sort...
  7. Windows 10 Classic Shell

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Classic Shell: Having recently upgraded from 7 Pro to 10 - I really missed the 7 Start menu! Downloaded the Classic Shell add-on program only 9.8mb. Suits me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-classic-shell/5fa14830-8000-4ab8-b4c8-6fbc5407f262
  8. Will Classic Shell work on Windows 10

Will Classic Shell work on Windows 10: I would like to use Classic Shell with Windows 10. A search of the web found an article entitled something like "Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell" and I didn't understand all of it.. What is the experience with using Classic Shell with Windows 10? Thank you. 47676
  9. classic shell

classic shell: Well it doesn't work on W10 9975
  10. Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10

Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10: Ver.4.20 Classic Shell 3262