Windows 10: Classic Shell no longer in development, and now open source

Discus and support Classic Shell no longer in development, and now open source in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Sad news, everyone. After months of deliberation, I have decided to stop the development of Classic Shell. It was a great adventure for me that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Classic Shell no longer in development, and now open source

Source: Classic Shell View topic - Classic Shell no longer in development. Source code released

:)

Brink, Dec 3, 2017

2. Is it RIP for My Documents in Win10? edit: Adding saved Docs to Win10

Don't know where that came from - Classic Shell is not a Microsoft product - it's an open source solution.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Gordon B-P, Dec 3, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Completely removing Cortana from my Win10 Install...How?

You're reading things that aren't there. He didn't say it wasn't supported in Windows 10. He said it was no longer supported, meaning no longer supported by the developer. The explanation is

here

JimWynne, Dec 3, 2017
  4. larc919 Win User

Sad news indeed! *Sad I can't see not using Classic Shell. Hope somebody will grab and run with it.

larc919, Dec 3, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    @dalchina will be gutted to hear this....

Bree, Dec 3, 2017
  6. FerchogtX Win User
    Expected... it's insane to have 2 feature upgrades per year.

By the other hand, this gives me fear, because getting away from win32 will eventually break the software we use... somewhere in the future, will they try to force their app ecosystem? I hope they don't, that would be the downfall of Windows, Android did their stuff and works, this is not Android...

FerchogtX, Dec 4, 2017
  7. Without Classic Shell , I would still be on Windows 7.

Josey Wales, Dec 4, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Well now it is open source, some enterprising developer could add tiles etc to make it more like Windows 10 menu :-D.

cereberus, Dec 4, 2017
  9. That would be an oxymoron
    *Wink

Josey Wales, Dec 4, 2017
  10. Hi,
    Yep never really used classic shell but is signs to come
    MS wearing 3rd party developers out
    What's next start10 and then a host of others to where if it's not in the MS store it doesn't exist
    And if it by some miracle does install/ work it will be short lived 10 has always borked classic shell and start10 since the beginning *Smile

I've just used 10 as it is and used built in methods to other menus but even those are being fazed out slowly but surely.

ThrashZone, Dec 4, 2017
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    Win32 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. There are many large corporations that are using old Win32 applications and aren't prepared to update them. They form a huge part of the Windows 10 market and Microsoft is well aware of this. There are no serious issues with well written normal Windows applications. There are many applications dating back to Windows 95 that are still working without issue on Windows 10.

But Classic Shell is not a normal Windows application. To do what it does it must use undocumented functions and data structures that are designed only for use within Windows and not intended for third party application use. Being undocumented Microsoft can change them whenever they wish without prior notice. And they are doing precisely that. And these changes make it hard to keep Classic Shell working.

LMiller7, Dec 4, 2017
  12. It works very well, been using it since win 10 came out. There are users that use 3rd party themes are they then also at risk? So then if it is not from The Windows Store one cannot use it? When that day comes I will go back to Linux.

Josey Wales, Dec 4, 2017
  13. Classic Shell no longer in development, and now open source

Hi,
    Classic shell works on linux :/

ThrashZone, Dec 4, 2017
  14. clam1952 Win User
    Not exactly what I wanted hear, also wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Classic Shell. Closest to Classic Shell is Stardocks Start 10 which costs around $5 but probably less chance of it being discontinued.
    Open Source? May get a few takers until they discover MS keep changing stuff so it don't work.

clam1952, Dec 4, 2017
  15. It works for me on 16053 and I am not going any further as 16299 does not work too well on my PC but Classic Shell works on it.

Josey Wales, Dec 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Classic Shell no longer in development, and now open source - Similar Threads - Classic Shell longer

2. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  4. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: what is the purpose of classic shell ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-shell/65de2760-eb0a-4c92-9b25-76aadb23625d
  5. classic shell configuration

in Windows 10 Customization
    classic shell configuration: hi , I turn on my HP laptop entitled Splitx2 and the following two things happen; 1. I get a message that says " classic shell needs to configure itself for new operating system." 2. When I hit ok on that screen then a next one pops up and says "ADministrator has...
  6. Classic Shell to Classic Start

Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  7. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: 1.classic shell needs to configure itself 2. an administrator has blocked you from running this ap. I have an HP notebook and keep getting the above messages every time I use my laptop and I would like to continue to use classic shell, and have tried unsuccessfully to sort...
  8. A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork)

in Windows 10 News
    A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork): Open Shell is a fork of the popular discontinued Classic Shell program for Windows that may restore a classic Start Menu, Explorer and Internet Explorer shell on the system. Classic Shell was a popular program for Windows that restored functionality in Windows versions that...
  9. Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start)

Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start): Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start) 4.4.140 [ATTACH] [ATTACH] 139893
  10. classic shell

classic shell: Well it doesn't work on W10 9975