Windows 10: Classic Start Installation Disaster

Discus and support Classic Start Installation Disaster in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Using Total Uninstall, I removed Classic Shell, and then started installing Classic Start. The install seemed rather odd, with constant flashing of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Not Myself, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Classic Start Installation Disaster

Using Total Uninstall, I removed Classic Shell, and then started installing Classic Start. The install seemed rather odd, with constant flashing of the desktop, for example. When it finished, it said that I needed to restart the computer, which I did, and is when I encountered what I would deem to have been a disaster.

Windows restarted as usual, asked me for my password, much too quickly went past the usual wait for the desktop to appear, and I was greeted with a black screen and a mouse cursor. I waited a while, whereupon Total Uninstall reappeared at the normal last step, which ran, so I closed it.

That reverted to the black screen + cursor, and that is all I got, other than a few momentary busy cursor symbols. I rebooted a few times got nothing. I tried to run my Macrium Reflect repair disc, which did not work, The DVD drive was running, but I was taken to the normal Windows login screen. It is entirely possible that I improperly reset the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive, although I chose a BIOS entry for it.

Failing to figure out what the problem was, much less how to fix it, I created a Windows 10 ISO on a USB key on my wife's computer, reset the BIOS on mine to boot from it, which it kindly did, and offered me several choices, to I found the Restore Point entry, chose one created yesterday, skipping the one created when I used Total Uninstall to install Classic Start. That worked--it even found my Classic Shell .XML file on the desktop, where I had saved it earlier today.

Quicken did not seem overly happy to completely load, but did so finally; Word Perfect started and offered to show me a file which I had deleted earlier, and so forth, so things seem to have been well restored by the Restore Point action.

I admit that I did not restart after removing Class Shell and installing Classic Start. I don't want to go through another episode, and wonder if perhaps that oversight may have caused the weird problem encountered after installing Class Start, and also wonder about the odd behavior of that install: During the process, a pop-up said that two programs needed to be closed and would restart. One was QDir, I think that the other might have been the Windows file manager. At any rate, I chose to let the installer close them, and I am not at all certain that that worked properly.

Now that I have just about used up all the individual letters stored in my computer for posting messages, any thoughts/suggestions/incantations to be observed before I try to remove and install again?

:)

Not Myself, Jul 20, 2018
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Classic Start Installation Disaster

@Not Myself

Use the Classic Shell Utility, which was written by the original author, Ivo. It was designed to completely and safely uninstall Classic Shell, and all it's parts. Should also work just fine with the revised Classic Start, by Passionate-Coder.

Classic Start Installation Disaster [​IMG]

Download link is about 2 pages down here: Classic Shell: Downloads

f14tomcat, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Classic Start Installation Disaster

Using Total Uninstall, I removed Classic Shell, and then started installing Classic Start. The install seemed rather odd, with constant flashing of the desktop, for example. When it finished, it said that I needed to restart the computer, which I did, and is when I encountered what I would deem to have been a disaster.

Windows restarted as usual, asked me for my password, much too quickly went past the usual wait for the desktop to appear, and I was greeted with a black screen and a mouse cursor. I waited a while, whereupon Total Uninstall reappeared at the normal last step, which ran, so I closed it.

That reverted to the black screen + cursor, and that is all I got, other than a few momentary busy cursor symbols. I rebooted a few times got nothing. I tried to run my Macrium Reflect repair disc, which did not work, The DVD drive was running, but I was taken to the normal Windows login screen. It is entirely possible that I improperly reset the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive, although I chose a BIOS entry for it.

Failing to figure out what the problem was, much less how to fix it, I created a Windows 10 ISO on a USB key on my wife's computer, reset the BIOS on mine to boot from it, which it kindly did, and offered me several choices, to I found the Restore Point entry, chose one created yesterday, skipping the one created when I used Total Uninstall to install Classic Start. That worked--it even found my Classic Shell .XML file on the desktop, where I had saved it earlier today.

Quicken did not seem overly happy to completely load, but did so finally; Word Perfect started and offered to show me a file which I had deleted earlier, and so forth, so things seem to have been well restored by the Restore Point action.

I admit that I did not restart after removing Class Shell and installing Classic Start. I don't want to go through another episode, and wonder if perhaps that oversight may have caused the weird problem encountered after installing Class Start, and also wonder about the odd behavior of that install: During the process, a pop-up said that two programs needed to be closed and would restart. One was QDir, I think that the other might have been the Windows file manager. At any rate, I chose to let the installer close them, and I am not at all certain that that worked properly.

Now that I have just about used up all the individual letters stored in my computer for posting messages, any thoughts/suggestions/incantations to be observed before I try to remove and install again?

Not Myself, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Just for future readers of this thread, for what reason did you use Complete Uninstaller? Did you have a problem with Classic Shell uninstaller?
    I'm just asking since that seems to be what caused your issue?
    Personally, I have 3 windows 10 computers on each I backup my setting, using the classic shell uninstaller in programs and features. Rebooted and installed Classic Start and restored my setting. I had no issues what so ever. So do you think it was the uninstaller that caused the issue or did you fail to reboot after the uninstall? Or did some unknown issue just arise?

Clintlgm, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Classic Start Installation Disaster - Similar Threads - Classic Start Installation

2. Topic: Classic Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Topic: Classic Start Menu: Hello all you saints!When starting my computer, I get a popup that says, "Classic Start Menu needs to configure itself for the new operating system" I close this. Then another popup says, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make change.......Classic...
  3. Topic: Classic Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Topic: Classic Start Menu: Hello all you saints!When starting my computer, I get a popup that says, "Classic Start Menu needs to configure itself for the new operating system" I close this. Then another popup says, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make change.......Classic...
  4. Classic Shell Start Menu not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Classic Shell Start Menu not Working: So about an hour ago I was searching up "how to make windows 10 feel more like windows 7" and one of the guides told me to create a shortcut with the classic personalization window. When I opened it, I proceeded to click the "synchronized theme" which changed my desktop...
  5. It is a disaster !!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It is a disaster !!!: Hello Sir/Madam: The quality of my pc is dropping down ! Today, all at once, many of the "icons", around 1/3, on my screen can not open !! They are cut off from the internet! I have been using the window for around two decades, never saw such serious...
  6. Installing Windows plan for disaster recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows plan for disaster recovery: I'm trying to create a disaster recovery plan for installing Windows to my laptop if I were to to start from scratch. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron and I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro v.2004. I have three accounts on my laptop, one of them is a Windows Administrator...
  7. Classic Shell to Classic Start

Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  8. Windows 10 and Classic Start

Windows 10 and Classic Start: I have installed Classic Start into Windows 10. My problem is that I cannot pin programs to the Classic Start Start up. When I attempt to pin a program to Classic Start it pins itself to the original Windows 10 Start on the desktop. Any way around this please? 135241
  9. Windows 10 and Classic Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Classic Start: I have installed Classic Start into Windows 10. My problem is that I cannot pin programs to the Classic Start Start up. When I attempt to pin a program to Classic Start it pins itself to the original Windows 10 Start on the desktop. Any way around this please? 135241
  10. Windows Classic - Start compatibilty

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Classic - Start compatibilty: I guess I'm more into icons. Over the years my eyes have struggled increasingly with fonts and their sizes. For me tiles are distractions. I guess as a senior, I did well to adjust sufficiently to Windows 8.1, thanks to the Windows Classic skin for the same start as Window 7...