Windows 10: Clean Anniversary Install on C: Killed Second HDD

Discus and support Clean Anniversary Install on C: Killed Second HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This was really crazy. I have a hdd where I keep all my keep many things. So after the clean install, I go to my D: drive and it was wiped clean and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ken1943, Sep 3, 2016.

1. ken1943 Win User

Clean Anniversary Install on C: Killed Second HDD

This was really crazy. I have a hdd where I keep all my keep many things.

So after the clean install, I go to my D: drive and it was wiped clean and wants to
    be formatted as UDF 201

First time I heard anything about this file system.

Comments ?

:)

ken1943, Sep 3, 2016
  2. CHNCHG Win User

failure in installing hardware drivers on Win 10 Anniversary Update

I've downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary Update's iso file on MSDN subscription site then formated drive C to do a clean installation via USB.

After finishing installation, I tried to install several hardware drivers. Weird enough, when I double click the drivers' exe file, there is a chance that setup wizard won't show up and the file resources manager will be frozen.

This can be fixed after I kill the exe files' process and re-run it.

I'm sure it is not a HDD problem because when I choose to install the older Win 10 version, everything will go well.

Does anyone else encounter the same problem? and how to solve it?

CHNCHG, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Win 10 kills HDDs?

Hi

Which update was installed just prior to the HDD failure?

Let us know.

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Sep 3, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Problems with drives becoming inaccessible after installing or upgrading Win 10 have been quite commonly reported. UDF is weird- that's e.g. DVDs. Are you sure you're not somehow seeing your DVD drive?

Feel free to yell at MS. They have a range of problems they are supposedly fixing, widely reported.

Hope you have a backup or are already wise enough to be using disk imaging routinely.

What make of disk is it? Such problems appear to be related to certain manufacturers' disks. (Seagate, WD). I use Toshiba's, and haven't noted a report about those (yet).

You could try Minitool Partition Wizard, or recovery software.

Partition disappears in Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd - Windows 10 Forums
    Unable to access external hard drive - Microsoft Community

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  5. ken1943 Win User
    I do keep a C: image and backup D: which was the one that failed (?). I move it to another sata port and it can be seen. This time it
    formatted as ntfs. Windows does not see it as drive D: so I used E: this time. A big burp with Windows and mobo/hdd.
    I will be needing a beer !!

ken1943, Sep 4, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Sep 4, 2016
  7. ken1943 Win User
    Nope. It wiped the drive.

ken1943, Sep 4, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, depends how. For example, if it deleted the partition you can use a partition manager (3rd party) which can recover partitions. Or even freeware- like Diskdrill. There are many such programs.

dalchina, Sep 4, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    There will be no AU for me until the AU Disappearing Partitions bug is fixed!

Steve C, Sep 5, 2016
  10. ken1943 Win User
    The partition was on a different drive and I did not try to restore, forgot about that ! I have been tracing this dde server problem since the last "upgrade". I have never had major upgrade problems from any Windows version since 3.1, I think was the earliest for me. I had the dde server error
    on one machine the last upgrade and on all three with the AU upgrade. I am too old to learn Linux, but Mint is starting to look good.

ken1943, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Anniversary Install on C: Killed Second HDD - Similar Threads - Clean Anniversary Install

2. Windows 10 Anniversary CLEAN install: a nightmare!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary CLEAN install: a nightmare!: I'll try to keep it short. I did a clean install of Windows 10 anniversary on a new SSD 240 GB and all the drive detached. I did it 3 time and now it's 10 days I'm working on it to have an working OS. The actual problems are: 1) keep freezing both file explorer and Chrome...
  3. anniversary update killed my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    anniversary update killed my network: I had 4 computers talking to each other and a NAS. Then 14393 happened. I have reconfigured, which is always a total confusion. But I have shared drives and folders on the computerS. I finally have the desktop talking to the laptop, but the laptop doesn't have permission to...
  4. Anniversary update killed my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary update killed my laptop: Hi guys Comin over from seven forums *Smile After a recent update, i shut down my notebook. Next time I turned it on it got suck right after POST, so all I see is a blank screen. This happens before windows even begins to load, it's basically a DOS style blank screen...
  5. Install second hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install second hdd: Hi. Just decided to install a second HDD to hold my documents photos etc how would I set that drive H to save my items. I want all my stuff to save to that H HHD automatic upon selecting save as. My C drive has the O/P and all programs. Any help please. Thanks. 89943
  6. Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT

Anniversary Win 10 Clean Install off MCT: I just did a clean install of 10 1607 & just a question if this normal I just used my 1 tb drive raw unformatted & select custom install means clean i assume it formatted & worked after install but when i go to disk management I do not see any hidden partitions was all in...
  7. Anniversary Update - Clean Install - First Impressions

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install - First Impressions: My first impressions: Pros: Seems a bit faster overall - I did a complete system image backup in 00:02:09 (previously took 00:02:35) OS install uses less space (at least for my installation) Event viewer shows no new instances (I had two known issues before and they are...
  8. Clean Install Windows 10 Anniversary

Clean Install Windows 10 Anniversary: Hiya....Has the Media Creation tool been updated to this version so I can do a clean install...there is no way of telling? TIA 60042
  9. Clean Install of Windows 10 including Anniversary Update

Clean Install of Windows 10 including Anniversary Update: I have a problem after installing the Anniversary Update of Windows 10. This post concerns the process which involves a clean re-install of Windows 10 by the method which includes downloading and running Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, choosing "Create Media for another PC"....
  10. Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly: Hi all, Wondering if anyone else has experienced an icon display issue on their start menu with the 1607 update? I have just clean installed (and fully updated) the 1607 Anniversary Update on 2 PC's and both are experiencing an identical issue with their start menu. The...