Windows 10: Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Discus and support Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by reddwarf4ever, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key....

It was activated before I did the clean install, what can I do now ?

thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Plus+1 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade - Clean Install after upgrade

Thanks everyone. This is done now, I backed up everything I could and had everything I needed to install ready so it went very well.

Plus+1, Mar 31, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Clean Install after upgrade

Basically, the difference between an upgrade install and a clean install is when you insert the media (dvd or usb).

To do an upgrade install, start Windows and when the desktop is loaded insert the media. Upgrades run from within Windows.

To do a clean install, insert the media and then restart the computer. Clean installs run
    instead of Windows.

You do need to make a backup of your personal stuff first if you are not doing that already. Copying your personal files and folders to OneDrive is great way to backup. Don't forget to check the Downloads folder for installers for your programs that you
    downloaded from the internet.

An image backup/restore will simply reinstall the system as it is, which is not what you want.

Cbarnhorst, Mar 31, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Do you have an error code or screen shot?

Superfly, Mar 31, 2016
  5. no error code, just says not activated with the two options I gave.....some people say have to keep trying several times over several days

reddwarf4ever, Mar 31, 2016
  6. 10 Pro via the free upgrade, and 10 Pro installed now? Just want to confirm. Usually a failed activation on a clean install after upgrading means the wrong version was installed. What OS was the original upgrade done from?

alphanumeric, Mar 31, 2016
  7. Just tried again....entered sombrero.vbs /auto and got an error box couldn't activate
    tried slui 4 and did phone activation, that failed, read it out to a women they failed, then was told to read my Windows 7 pro code and confirmed ok, typed slui 3 and entered original Windows 7 pro code, but failed with error
    oxc004f210
    and yes the free upgrade was Windows 10 pro 64 bit, which is the same as the ISO download I made the disk with for the clean install....I asked if I should retry for a few days to see if it activates, but she didn't understand, asked me to phone tomorrow to speak to their tech dept....

reddwarf4ever, Apr 1, 2016
  8. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

The official download from the MCT is multi edition. It should prompt you to select Home or Pro, and ask for a product code. Did you select Pro, and click skip when asked for a key?

alphanumeric, Apr 1, 2016
  9. It did ask for home or pro I chose pro and skipped product key

10. Ran and got this

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating [​IMG]

11. There's your issue, you installed the N version. You want the regular Windows 10 version. Select Windows 10 (without the N) from the drop down in the MCT.

alphanumeric, Apr 1, 2016
  12. Clint Win User
    Where do you see N version?

Clint, Apr 1, 2016
  13. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Can't believe that I can't chose the option without IE....( internet explorer ) I have just reinstalled all my apps....so guess I am stuck now....only thing I can think of is running the upgrade live or from disk, will this then put the full version on, or will updates eventually resolve it
    thanks

PS when I did the live upgrade to Windows 10 I don't remember getting the 'N' choice it was 32 or 64 bit or both as I remember......but the ISO can be downloaded with these choices

14. I did create the disk with the N version, but can't see how it should matter, will badger MS tomorrow for an authorisation code....once activated it shouldn't matter anymore should it.....??? going to do a true image back up once all apps installed.....

15. cereberus Win User
    Of course it matters. The licences are not interchangeable due to legal reasons.

MS will not help you as they would be giving you an EXTRA free licence.

Just reinstall correct version or buy an N licence!

cereberus, Apr 1, 2016
Thema:

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

1. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating - Similar Threads - Clean install upgrade

2. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  3. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  4. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  5. Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting

Clean install after upgrade and now not activated: troubleshooting: Some months ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 pro. I recently did a clean install, spent hrs setting up the system the way I wanted and then received a prompt about activation. After this I did another clean install of Windows 10 Pro N with the same result. No...
  6. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  7. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  8. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  9. Clean Install after upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install after upgrade: I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over files... idk, i want to do a clean install, but i dont want to loose my genuine copy of windows. also, i have about 1tb of games...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....