Windows 10: Clean Install after upgrade

Discus and support Clean Install after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by N00berG00ber, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Clean Install after upgrade

I got a legit copy of windows 7 and i did the update to windows 10, but my PC seems slow and it seems like there is a lot of junk and left over files... idk, i want to do a clean install, but i dont want to loose my genuine copy of windows. also, i have about 1tb of games installed on a seperate drive off steam. if i clean install and leave that drive as is, will the games still work or will i have to redownload them all?

:)

N00berG00ber, Jul 28, 2015
  2. Plus+1 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade - Clean Install after upgrade

Thanks everyone. This is done now, I backed up everything I could and had everything I needed to install ready so it went very well.

Plus+1, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade - Clean Install after upgrade

Basically, the difference between an upgrade install and a clean install is when you insert the media (dvd or usb).

To do an upgrade install, start Windows and when the desktop is loaded insert the media. Upgrades run from within Windows.

To do a clean install, insert the media and then restart the computer. Clean installs run
    instead of Windows.

You do need to make a backup of your personal stuff first if you are not doing that already. Copying your personal files and folders to OneDrive is great way to backup. Don't forget to check the Downloads folder for installers for your programs that you
    downloaded from the internet.

An image backup/restore will simply reinstall the system as it is, which is not what you want.

Cbarnhorst, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Clean Install after upgrade

MS have stated that once you've performed the upgrade you will be able to perform a clean install (I believe this has already been done successfully with activation being automatic). As for the games the best you can do is try them, if the worst comes to the worst you'll have to redownload.

Boozad, Jul 28, 2015
  5. alright, and how do i do a clean install?

EDIT, for some reason when i click activate windows, it says that it cant activate please try again later....

6. Boozad Win User
    It should have activated during installation over 7. It may be best to post a thread in the activation section first before you go any further.

Boozad, Jul 28, 2015
  7. vgchat Win User
    Hi, having the windows.old folder shouldn't effect performance. What will effect the performance is the first few hours of using windows 10.

It will take this time to automatically:
    Update apps on the windows store (over 18 in my case)
    Download Windows Updates

This can make it feel slow while it's busy doing this but after it's done, it should be smooth sailing.
    After it does this, I would defrag the drive & optionally run ccleaner (ccleaner first then defrag if you use ccleaner).

If you decide that you don't want to revert back to windows 7, it is safe to delete the windows.old folder which contains files & settings that windows 7 used.

vgchat, Jul 28, 2015
  8. Clean Install after upgrade

I did this this morning. First upgrade to Windows 10 and make sure it's active. Then get the ISO by following this tutorial. Run it, format the drive, do a clean install. Whenever it asks for a license skip. You will have to create a local account first. Everything is installed activate Windows 10 and then, if you want, you can convert your local account to an online one.

thunderclap, Jul 28, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    You shouldn't defrag SSDs.

Boozad, Jul 28, 2015
  10. vgchat Win User
    That's true but I don't use SSD. Too expensive for my tastes when HDD's aren't far behind.

vgchat, Jul 28, 2015
  11. hmmmm... looks like the activation issue is cause by the server. lots of people having that issue. i cant even convert back to 7. Some how the files got deleted.

12. Boozad Win User
    The OP does, that's why I posted it. It's best not to advise people who use SSDs to defrag them.

Boozad, Jul 28, 2015
  13. Clean Install after upgrade

My PC activated! so now the question is.... should i clean install.....?

How would downloading drivers go? what if i cant find them all for my mobo?

14. Boozad Win User
    If it's activated you're good to go on the clean install. Your drivers should be fine, I've never introduced any drivers to my system (except updated GPU drivers) and they're all good.

If the machine's running fine I'd just see how it goes, if you don't need the clean install why rock the boat?

Boozad, Jul 28, 2015
  15. performance reasons... also, ive installed so many different GPUs into this PC, i wanted to clean all this up.

IDK.... I think ima pass on the clean install.

N00berG00ber, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Clean Install after upgrade

1. Clean Install after upgrade - Similar Threads - Clean Install upgrade

2. Upgrade or Clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade or Clean install?: Are there any problems after updating from Windows 7 like sysytem being slow or crashing? How much free space is needed on C drive? submitted by /u/countdooku1729 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e3aga4/upgrade_or_clean_install/
  3. Upgrade or clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  4. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  5. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  6. Lenovo Thinkpad T420 clean install after upgrade.

Lenovo Thinkpad T420 clean install after upgrade.: Just purchased a refurbished T420 with win 10 pro updated from win 7 pro, am wanting to do a clean install. Anyone running a T420 on win 10 would appreciate any advice. my only concern is obtaining correct drivers or will windows install them. 87516
  7. Upgrade or Clean Install....?

Upgrade or Clean Install....?: Having read a number of articles on the subject of "Upgrade or Clean Install", I am still uncertain as to which option delivers the greatest benefits with the least disadvantages. Currently it seems that the decision is one of personal preference - but experience shows us...
  8. Upgrade or Clean install?

Upgrade or Clean install?: I installed Win10 (clean Install) then reinstalled Win7 (clean). I'm now going to reinstall Win10 again after getting answers to issues I had with it. So my question, is it easier to just upgrade to Win10 since my programs are already installed in Win7, rather than a clean...
  9. Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install

Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install: I've upgraded from Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 via the upgrade install. The system indicates the Win 10 install is activated. Presently, this install is to buggy. I intend to wipe the disk clean and perform a clean install via bootable USD flash drive and the downloaded...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....