Windows 10: Clean install and activations

Discus and support Clean install and activations in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by eLPuSHeR, Aug 20, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Clean install and activations

Hello.

I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that have activation string encrypted in bios (do you need UEFI/GPT installation for this way to work?).

Ideas?.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Aug 20, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2015
  3. Activate clean install

You don't need to input any product key during Windows 10 Out Of Box Experience during a clean install after upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 or 8.1 Update, since your computer's hardware information is stored on Microsoft's activation servers.

Dan1986ist, Aug 20, 2015
  4. Clean install and activations

You 1st have to upgrade an existing Win7 or Win8/8.1 installation that is already activated before you can do clean installs of Win10. Windows 10 won't accept typed in keys from previous versions. I made the mistake of clean installing my daughters comp (trying to do 2 computers at once) then realized I had to rollback to Win7 -->activate -->update to SP1 -->upgrade to 10 Pro -->verify activation -->clean install -->update. After all is said and done, when you are finally doing the clean install for Win 10 (after upgrade of course), during installation, select the option to "skip this step" for entering product key. I will automatically activate once install is complete.

dnasystems, Aug 21, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I don't understand. Doesn't a clean install wipe everything that was installed earlier?

When I do a clean install I start with a fresh formatted partition.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 21, 2015
  6. sn00ker Win User
    When you do an upgrade your computer hardware info gets stored on Microsoft server and that allow you to re install the operating system without license key, but if one doesn't upgrade first then you can't do a reinstall unless you buy a copy of windows 10 . So to get this windows 10 free offer you must upgrade your system afterwards once its activated you can then perform a clean install

sn00ker, Aug 21, 2015
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    So, you must first install w10 as an update to an existing and legit w7/w8x and then reinstall it again clean from scratch?

eLPuSHeR, Aug 21, 2015
  8. Clean install and activations

Yep.

frankenhooker, Aug 21, 2015
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I should have guessed that. Thanks.

PS - Will it work if I modify number/type of partitions? For instance, I do not like most systems configured with everything as a single partition (C drive). I also despise GPT. It doesn't offer anything I want.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Clean install and activations

1. Clean install and activations - Similar Threads - Clean install activations

2. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  3. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  4. Activation query after clean install

Activation query after clean install: A friend's Asus 8.1 laptop was stuck in an automatic repair loop so I suggested that he upgrade to Windows 10. Because he was unable to access his system, I opted for a clean install and I created a bootable Win 10 usb on another pc. I used this usb to insall Win 10 on...
  5. clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE

clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE: Hello. I have just completed a clean install of windows 10 (the upgrade from windows 7 failed 5 times) and I cant work out how to activate my copy. I reserved my copy on windows 7 but it is now asking for a serial key? This is my main PC and I would really be grateful...
  6. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  7. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  8. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  9. Clean install fails activation

Clean install fails activation: I have a HP desktop with W-7 that the HD is failing. (Almost failed) I can't do a clone or a system image. I installed a new HD and booted from my latest USB Upgrade from the Windows Media Creation tool. I skipped the activation as it installed. Now when I use the...
  10. Change drive at clean install - activation question

Change drive at clean install - activation question: I started a separate thread with some questions on clean installation to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However I have an additional specific question. I currently have an ASUS motherboard (p9x79 Pro) and am running my operating system on a spinning drive and using...