Windows 10: Clean Install and apps migration

Discus and support Clean Install and apps migration in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; With the Spring Creator's Update just around the corner, I thought I would ask this -- in the hope that the situation has actually improved over the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Phelps, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Clean Install and apps migration

With the Spring Creator's Update just around the corner, I thought I would ask this -- in the hope that the situation has actually improved over the last six months.

History: Last fall, when I did the FCU on one of my Win10 PCs, it failed miserably, trashing the PC in the process. And while I did have an image backup, I though I would do a clean install from an ISO of the FCU and then use a couple of third-party apps to migrate the apps over to the new install.

Result was that both of the apps, despite one of them working great in Win7, were a waste of time and migrated nothing really useful. So, I ended up spending days redownloading & reinstalling apps, and redoing all of the settings.

My question is if the situation has changed since then such that there is NOW a way to migrate apps over after a clean-install.

My guess is the answer is still NO -- but things can change over time ...

:)

Mark Phelps, Mar 18, 2018

2. Taskbar freezes after notification following startup

Hi,

We would like to ask if you have just migrated to SSD? If so, we would like to recommend that you perform a clean install. There is a possibility that during the migration there was a problem that have occurred. Please make sure to create a backup for all
    your important files before doing the clean install.

However, if the migration already happened for quite sometime now. We would recommend that you perform SFC first to check for any possible corrupted system files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Mar 18, 2018
  3. SSD Installation

Your SSD vendor should have a data migration utility available. Try that to migrate just your OS and installed software to the SSD. Of course it might fail to fit depending on your current system's level of bloat. In that case the best thing to do would
    be a clean install as suggested above.

RobertJWin, Mar 18, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Clean Install and apps migration

Hi, I have used Laplink's product with Win10- in conjunction with a disk image of the 'old' PC - to move a LOT of programs with 95%+ success. There's also an Easeus product. I guess you may have tried these.

Not recommended e.g. with Office suites (larger programs).

dalchina, Mar 19, 2018
  5. You had better success than me -- as I used both the EaseUS tool and the Laplink tool and while both WOULD transfer apps, they both failed miserably for MS apps -- which is what I really needed them to do.

So, sounds like the situation has not improved.

Mark Phelps, Mar 19, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    If you're talking about store apps- that's a different ballgame, as they say in the US...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean Install and apps migration

1. Clean Install and apps migration - Similar Threads - Clean Install apps

2. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  3. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  4. Migrating windows 10 to another drive without clean installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating windows 10 to another drive without clean installation: Hi,Recently i've gotten the problem that the SATA drive my windows 10 is installed on isn't on par with loading games and other programs anymore. It will always run at 100% and so i've decided to get a new fast SSD drive and migrate windows to that drive.The problem is that i...
  5. Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should I migrate my HDD data to new SSD or CLEAN INSTALL??: I,ve been using a hard drive on my pc for 3 years now and im finally making the switch to an ssd(SAMSUNG 860Evo 250GB) but i have one question my hard drive is split into two and the one that contains the OS is currently 123/344 gb.If i migrate it my ssd would already be half...
  6. Clean Install

Clean Install: Hello I am going to do a clean install of windows 10 but I have a few questions. Im still busy making space on the computer's hard disk and also on an external drive (for backup purposes) Since I belong to the insider program the latest build that I currently have is...
  7. Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?

Fresh Clean install, or Via Cloning/Imaging? to migrate Win 10 to SSD?: First sorry for my poor english. here's a problem: My Original OS is come from Win 7 Professional 64 bit (from my Academic/MSDNAA ), and then I successfully upgrade it into Win 10 Pro 64bit (fully activated). Have been use that fully activated OS on my machine for years...
  8. Clean Install

Clean Install: I upgraded both of my PC's from Windows 8.1 Pro. If I want to do a clean install from a USB drive do I need one from each PC or will one work with both? 13120
  9. Clean install or not

Clean install or not: I installed W10 over virgin copies of W7 Pro on two computers. After a clean disk to get rid of all install files I will have pretty much a clean install. What would be the advantage to now do a complete clean install ? Everything seems to be working ok. 12715
  10. Clean install + 2 apps = 55gb

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install + 2 apps = 55gb: I've not used Windows on a home computer for several years but decided to create a virtual machine of Windows 10 just to see how it is. So installed a clean copy downloaded from Microsoft website and added SharePoint Designer 2013 and Visual Studio Community 2015 to give a...