Windows 10: Clean Install done elsewhere-not owners wireless network

Discus and support Clean Install done elsewhere-not owners wireless network in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Following the tutorial https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/clean-install-windows-10.246/ This friend's MSI cr620 laptop was previously on Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rose W, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Rose W Win User

Clean Install done elsewhere-not owners wireless network

Following the tutorial
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/clean-install-windows-10.246/
    This friend's MSI cr620 laptop was previously on Win 10 1511 so its activated and a local account was used then. The AU would not install and he had Win7 clean installed. Now its a go back to Win10 with the current .iso (1607)
    Edit: Neglected to include that the friend 'forgot/overlooked' checking/activating the Win7 and now its past due date.
    But the friend thought he could bring the laptop to my home for the clean install
    Therefore I'm translating that I should skip the wireless network connection and skip to the next step where he is notified.
    He could notify me of the info received
    I interpret this clean install would have a MS account established using that second step.

We have created two choices for this install.
    He downloaded with the MCtool and used the save to usb flash drive
    I created a Rufus + iso flash drive and I also burned a dvd (using Imagburn)
    I had to find the pdf manual for the laptop to get the info that the key is ESC to get into the bios start menu.
    I cannot confirm if his MSI CR 620 laptop is legacy or UEFI so I used the first choice in the Rufus list.
    Questions
    Will the MCtool created usb drive require the Esc key into the bios start menu?
    Will it discover Legacy or UEFI?
    The Rufus based install uses its first default choice which I translated required using the bios menu.

The tutorials are more based on clean installing an existing Win10 so getting into the advanced start is not a choice
    I'm wondering if this clean install on the now Win7 laptop should be done at his home with his wireless

:)

Rose W, Nov 23, 2016
  2. Sooner_Al Win User

Get password of existing wi-fi connections

If the wireless network does not belong to you then contact the owner or network admin for the encryption key/password/pass phrase.

Good luck...

Sooner_Al, Nov 23, 2016
  3. davidh101 Win User
    5800 Wifi Problems

No Gateway Error relates to not being able to find the Default Gateway on the network.

Do you have MAC Address Filtering, DHCP setup on the wireless router or elsewhere on the network?

davidh101, Nov 23, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The first thing you need to do is STOP USING RUFUS! It is absolutely not needed and only increases the chances of introducing incompatibilities. The Windows 10 ISO file contains all the files/info required to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive.

If you want to create a bootable DVD from a Windows 10 ISO file, all you have to do in Windows 10 is right click on the file and select Burn disc image. Windows 7 and maybe 8 you need a program like imgburn to just burn the image to a DVD. No messing around with unneeded and often erroneous settings in Rufus. The DVD created by directly burning the image from the ISO file will be bootable in both UEFI and BIOS.

If you want to create a bootable USB flash drive - erase and prepare the flash drive using this procedure:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, read the note. To make a USB flash drive compatible with both UEFI and BIOS use the FAT32 filesystem:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12, you just mount the Windows 10 ISO file and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive. In Windows 7 you have to use a program like WinISO to mount it. No messing around with unneeded and often erroneous settings in Rufus.

You will have to use the ESC boot menu to boot from either a DVD or USB flash drive.

When I install Windows 10 for someone else, once the install is finished and I am at the first screen to start Windows like when you buy a new computer and take it out of the box, I go into audit mode by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+F3. The only big thing to watch out for is do not let the computer start a screensaver in audit mode.

Connect to your WiFi, set up all the device drivers, do all the updates, adjust partitions if they want a data partition. Once it is all set up, tell Sysprep to reboot the computer back to OOBE - do not generalize, you don't need to because it is staying on the same computer. There will be no user account created because audit mode uses the built-in administrator account. All your WiFi connection information will be erased. Once the computer boots back to the first OOBE screen (out of box experience like a brand new computer), I just hold down the power key to turn it off.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2016
  5. Rose W Win User
    Have read about audit mode but did not know specifics and that key combo is handy info.
    No partitions required. The updates will be time consuming. My connection is not speedy. The owner is on a speedy fiber network in town. But I would prefer working in my own environment. He's on a very limited budget so my assistance is the free alternate to a paid for service shop.
    I downloaded the Oct/Nov cumulative updates from the catalog so I could reuse those huge files instead of downloading again(?) once 1607 is installed
    Your information is more than helpful. This routine that has the wifi info be erased is good to know.
    I'm not sure he is comfortable or knows about setting up account so at that point I could just take the 'ready to' laptop to his house and do the rest.
    I will add that I avoided Rufus all this time but figured I had better get my head around it. To date I have just done the burn to dvd. As in everything with this OS there are those who champion the Rufus method and I was comfortable with the burn to dvd <grin>
    I have copied your notes and included the technet details...for a printed note to myself
    If all fails I'm not too proud and I'll make use of a paid service in town <grin>

Rose W, Nov 23, 2016
  6. Rose W Win User
    Just a clarification request regarding telling Sysprep to go back to OOBE.
    ..This 'telling' is done back at the administrative command prompt
    At technet the words are
    "configure the system to boot to Windows Welcome by running sysprep/oobe. The next time the system starts, Windows Welcome starts."
    So is the command prompt window brought into view to do the typing of sysprep/oobe ...or is it still sitting there as a result of the sysprep/audit
    (For attended installations, from Windows Welcome screen, press SHIFT+CTRL+F3.)

Rose W, Nov 23, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The sysprep gui will automatically appear when the computer starts in audit mode. You can just minimize and ignore it until you are ready to do the final reboot back to the OOBE start screen and you can just you use the sysprep gui to do that.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean Install done elsewhere-not owners wireless network - Similar Threads - Clean Install done

2. usb audio dropouts. I done everything but clean install.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb audio dropouts. I done everything but clean install.: Hello guys.I have a USB soundcard that I have used for man computers. On this win10 pro. I get dropouts though performance is only 10%!I make music so this is a big concern.Is anyone having a suggestion?Yes, I have reinstalled drivers more than once.Peter from Sween...
  3. usb audio dropouts. I done everything but clean install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb audio dropouts. I done everything but clean install.: Hello guys.I have a USB soundcard that I have used for man computers. On this win10 pro. I get dropouts though performance is only 10%!I make music so this is a big concern.Is anyone having a suggestion?Yes, I have reinstalled drivers more than once.Peter from Sween...
  4. usb audio dropouts. I done everything but clean install.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What Happens to Other Drives When a clean installation is done

in Windows 10 Customization
    What Happens to Other Drives When a clean installation is done: Hi, I am using a windows 10 pro 32 bit architecture pc.My pc had become so slow these days so i thought to do a clean installation.But i have few important files in other disks like that of the photo uploaded.I have a doubt if the data in disk other than the system reserved...
  6. Just done a clean install of W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Just done a clean install of W10: I have just done a clean install of Windows 10 pro and when I open Macrium reflect i find that my SSD drive, which I use purely for the O/S, has been split into four partitions. Does anyone know why this would be please. I would have thought that doing the clean install...
  7. Wireless Network Adapter Driver is not Installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless Network Adapter Driver is not Installed: My windows 10 smartab (model: STW1050) will not recognize the network adapter. I have already ran the troubleshooter a million times it said "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver"...
  8. No wireless network after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No wireless network after clean install: I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 home. I can access the internet with an ethernet connection but there is no wireless connection available. In the device manager, under other devices and network controller there is a blue question mark over a white circle,...
  9. Windows 10 clean install no network

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean install no network: Hi, II'm trying to install windows 10 to an ssd drive and when it gets to installing updates it says no internet connection and quits.....anyway around this??? Thanks, mike...
  10. Clean install - now network issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clean install - now network issue: my sons PC has been getting very slow .... Dell E521 but no errors and no network issues. Decided to do a clean install of all. So used the Dell OS re-install to put in a clean install of XP-Professional Obviously first thing to do is to get network connectivity all OK...