Windows 10: Clean install fails activation

Discus and support Clean install fails activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a HP desktop with W-7 that the HD is failing. (Almost failed) I can't do a clone or a system image. I installed a new HD and booted from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cfourkays, Dec 4, 2015.

1. cfourkays Win User

Clean install fails activation

I have a HP desktop with W-7 that the HD is failing. (Almost failed)
    I can't do a clone or a system image.

I installed a new HD and booted from my latest USB Upgrade from the Windows Media Creation tool.
    I skipped the activation as it installed.
    Now when I use the original product key, it fails to activate.
    What am I doing wrong?*Sad

Pete

:)

cfourkays, Dec 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro activation failure

Firstly I wiped off Windows 7 then made a clean install with the DVD. It failed to activate. Then I use ISO build of 16299 that I downloaded from Microsoft to make another clean build, it also failed the activation with same reason, invalid product code.
    I have tried it with hard disk or SSD. They all failed the activation.

HangChan_8828, Dec 4, 2015
  3. Paul9O5 Win User
    Why I wasn't activated ?

That's very good of them but again my system was activated with windows 10 and I even did a clean installation of 10, again it got activated . But now I once again did a clean installation with version 1511 and I wasn't activated . Their server failed
    . Make me wonder how it will play out in the future, like 2 years from now once the free upgrade is over will we be facing activation problems since it has already failed now ?

Paul9O5, Dec 4, 2015
  4. Clean install fails activation

What version did you get with the free upgrade, Home or Pro? And what version are you installing now? They have to match. If your previous install was activated it should have had a digital entitlement. On a clean install on a PC with a digital entitlement, when asked for a key, you just click skip. If you installed the same version you got via the free upgrade it should activate without issue.

alphanumeric, Dec 4, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    He never got Windows 10 installed on the old computer. Hard drive failed first. A version mismatch is the most likely cause for Windows 10 not accepting the Windows 7 product key.

If you run showkeyplus from this forum, and "check product key", you can type in the Windows 7 product key and see what version it is for:
    Solved Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Home, Pro, Single Language, and N are all different, and there is some disagreement about whether the base language makes a difference or not.

NavyLCDR, Dec 4, 2015
  6. Ah, yes, missed that. As you say, likely installed the wrong version.

7. cfourkays Win User
    (Using problem PC)
    PC had Windows 7 Home 64
    I used the Media created "Windows 10 Home 64"
    This PC now has Windows 10 Home 64

Ran the "Show Key" and got the following: (I'll X out the last 5)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Product Key Information

Product Name: Windows 10 Home

Product ID: 00326-10000-00000-AA190

Installed Key: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-XXXXX

OEM Key: Windows 7 OEM marker present in firmware
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a different key than the one on the Windows 7 sticker on the side of the tower.

Tried this key and that also failed.
    Pete

cfourkays, Dec 4, 2015
  8. Clean install fails activation

YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 is the generic 10 Home key. Did you install build 10585? Running winver will confirm this. 10586 will accept Windows 7 keys for activation, 10240 won't. showkey will not show you the windows 7 key if Windows 7 is not installed. With showkey running you should see a check product key option. If you click that and enter your key it will tell you what version it is for.

9. cfourkays Win User
    You're right.
    10240 is installed.
    I thought I had downloaded the 10586 but, obviously, I was wrong.
    Let me get an iso for 10586, install it, and get back to you.
    Hopefully, with thanks.

cfourkays, Dec 4, 2015
  10. Microsoft did the old switcheroo with the MCT for a couple of days there, then switched it back. You may have just downloaded on the wrong day. 10586 should get you all fixed up.

11. cfourkays Win User
    Thanks, alpha
    That sure worked.
    Just for future reference, I had to restart once until I got the product key right.
    I entered the W-7 key from the COA sticker on the PC.
    I also entered it at the first request and it sailed through. That's a change. No skipping.
    Also, when I went to download from the MC, it gave me only 2 choices, Windows 10 or Windows 10N.
    However, as you go through the install, you select either Windows 10 or Windows 10 Pro.

If I kept up with my Windows Insider blogs, I would have seen the posting of them pulling the 1511 back for a short period of time.

Thanks again to both of you for the help.

Pete*Biggrin

cfourkays, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean install fails activation

1. Clean install fails activation - Similar Threads - Clean install fails

2. Clean installing keep failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean installing keep failing: As it say in the title, windows 10 keep failing during installation. I tried with the Windows Media Tool and with an ISO and rufus. It keep failing at the last stage, which say "being completed". It does install,as I can see in the window to install Windows,the ssd started at...
  3. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  4. Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please

Activation failed but ok with clean install need help please: I have had Windows 10 PRO since the free upgrade from w7 pro....a few years now. Unfortunately my PC is now reporting it is not activated have tried all the usual procedures DISM etc, without success. I did a clean install iof W10 and it activated immediately, so the digital...
  5. Clean install and activations

Clean install and activations: Hello. I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that have activation string encrypted in bios (do you need UEFI/GPT installation for this way to work?). Ideas?. 18064
  6. clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE

clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE: Hello. I have just completed a clean install of windows 10 (the upgrade from windows 7 failed 5 times) and I cant work out how to activate my copy. I reserved my copy on windows 7 but it is now asking for a serial key? This is my main PC and I would really be grateful...
  7. Windows 10 clean install - fails to activate

Windows 10 clean install - fails to activate: I did a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro in early July. It hosed my machine, with constant CPU usage of 80-99%. Details are provided here: Windows 10 Upgrade Failure Results in Unusable PC – Specific Questions I struggled to fix it throughout July, and then...
  8. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  9. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  10. Windows refresh fails, after clean install no activation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows refresh fails, after clean install no activation.: I was refreshing Windows 10 to fix some issues with the store, when after at least 90% completion, the PC looped into restarting again and again. Eventually, I installed windows 10 from a USB, and now i've lost my upgrade, and Microsoft views it as two PC's. In addition to...