Windows 10: clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE

Discus and support clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I have just completed a clean install of windows 10 (the upgrade from windows 7 failed 5 times) and I cant work out how to activate my copy.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Adammint7 Win User

clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE

Hello.

I have just completed a clean install of windows 10 (the upgrade from windows 7 failed 5 times) and I cant work out how to activate my copy. I reserved my copy on windows 7 but it is now asking for a serial key?

This is my main PC and I would really be grateful if someone could assist me.

Thanks

Adam

:)

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015

2. To Clean Install...Or Not To Clean Install

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you wish to do a clean install but I would suggest you not to do so until you have upgraded to Windows 10 and it has been activated.

Therefore, make sure you first upgrade to Windows 10 using the Get Windows 10 App or the .ISO image. Make sure the Windows 10 is Activated.

Please do not attempt a clean install if you haven't activated Windows 10 on your system.

Once you have successfully activated Windows 10 you can perform a clean install.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jul 29, 2015
  3. John582n Win User
    clean install ?

Provided that you Windows 10 is currently activated, you should be able to do a clean install and that should be activated OK. Having said that some people are having issues if they mess around with their hard disks/SSDs resulting in Windows 10 that won't
    activate.

As long as you can still restore to factory if something goes wrong, try a clean install and see if it activates OK.

John582n, Jul 29, 2015
  4. clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE

Do you have the install key for Windows 7 (from a "sticker" on computer or from packaging that came with Win7 disk)?

You are supposed to do an "Upgrade" install then once that is activated, you can go back and do a clean install. It seems you may have skipped a step.

CountryBumkin, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Adammint7 Win User
    I do have my windows 7 code here, Shall I try that?

If this fails what should I do, I installed it via the USB.

Thank you for your help so far

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Adammint7 Win User
    Ahh and just to add, the code did not work

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Adammint7 Win User

Thank you for the information.

What steps shall I take to get my Windows 10 activated?

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
  9. Brink gave the explanation above. You'll need a previous version of 7/8/8/1 installed and activated first. I'd install Windows 7 clean, and then activate it with your existing key. Once that's done, upgrade to Windows 10 and that will activate. Going forward, you'd be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 on that computer.

DeaconFrost, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Adammint7 Win User
    Ok. Thank you for your reply's. I was wondering if there was any other way (I unplugged my DVD Drive).

Thanks again

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could use a USB flash drive instead of DVD to install Windows 7 again, but you'll need it's key to activate Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Windowz10 Win User
    Put another way, you have to go back to your prior Windows install and do the upgrade on that.

If you have no way to return to your prior Windows install, you can't activate Windows 10 using the free upgrade.

That being said, if you have your older OS key you should still be able to pull the install down for that OS and use the key to re-install. Your hardware would still match what Microsoft has recorded against your key, so that fresh install of the old OS should activate. You then proceed with the upgrade, then finally after the upgrade to Windows 10 is activated, you blow away the old OS for good and go back to fresh Windows 10.

Note: Typed and posted while the other other prior posts were created....

Windowz10, Jul 29, 2015
  13. Adammint7 Win User

Ok. I have installed windows 7 again. I am struggling to know what to do now because the windows 10 icon has now gone and I have a LOAD of updates to do.... I have the usb version of Windows 10..what do I do now... I can't activate something that isn't on the toolbar.. :/

Thank you for your help so far.. All I wanted was a quick upgrade and now my pc is in bits..

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
  14. Adammint7 Win User
    Just to add. I have installed the important updates yet nothing has come up

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
  15. Adammint7 Win User
    Sorry to triple post but please don't say I have to wait in line to get a notification... Ive spent my whole day on this.. Argh

Adammint7, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

1. clean install *HOW TO ACTIVATE - Similar Threads - clean install *HOW

2. Activating after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after clean install: Hello, i have an oem license key and i want to know if i wnsted to clean install woyld i need to re enter the key or would it automatically activate? ***moved on english forum***...
  3. Clean install and activations

Clean install and activations: Hello. I have been unable to activate W10 from a clean installation, neither by using a w7 code (COA sticker), neither from those w8.x systems that have activation string encrypted in bios (do you need UEFI/GPT installation for this way to work?). Ideas?. 18064
  4. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade? Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded. I did exactly this. I upgraded from a windows 7 pro system...
  5. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  6. No activation after clean install

No activation after clean install: I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on? 13573
  7. Activation after clean install.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after clean install.: I have an older laptop which was given to me. It started out life as XP ! - but it now has windows 10 and was running quite happily until the creators update trickled down. I have tried everything to upgrade but it always fails. I am thinking a totally fresh install would...
  8. Clean install fails activation

Clean install fails activation: I have a HP desktop with W-7 that the HD is failing. (Almost failed) I can't do a clone or a system image. I installed a new HD and booted from my latest USB Upgrade from the Windows Media Creation tool. I skipped the activation as it installed. Now when I use the...
  9. How to clean install

How to clean install: Hello Ladies and Gents, I just had a question. As a Windows 10 Insider, when we receive the free upgrade to the RTM, how then do I do a clean install? I thought we'd need to burn the iso to a DVD to do that. Thank you. 8273
  10. How to activate WIn10 Build 10240 CLean Install

How to activate WIn10 Build 10240 CLean Install: I installed Build 10240 on a brand new SSD drive with no problems. However, Windows rejects the the activation code I found on another post in this forum: How to activate the latest Windows 10 build - Microsoft Community That post says activation really isn't necessary,...