Windows 10: Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions

Discus and support Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to clean install Windows 10, and I already did that before using the tutorial here. But last time I did not have Ubuntu install. And in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions

I want to clean install Windows 10, and I already did that before using the tutorial here.
    But last time I did not have Ubuntu install.
    And in the tutorial, you must delete all partitions in order for Windows to create the special necessary partitions (Recovery, MSR, MBR etc..)
    But now that I have a Linux partition that I don't want to delete, and according to the tutorial, Windows installation will not create these partitions.

How can I manually create them? Is it simply allocating a space for them and naming them the proper way and Windows will know how to use them? Or there's more than that?
    Also, What happens if I do not have these partitions?

Thanks!

:)

mibaup, Feb 1, 2016

2. Needs two partitions to boot

You don't need to create any partitions manually to install Windows 10.

Windows 10 setup automatically creates a system reserved partition during setup for storing recovery files.

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Create SYSTEM partition (update to 1607)

Sorry, but you've got me completely wrong.

I'm not asking about how to partition my drive to save some data (like discussed in refer topic), I'm asking how to
    simulate specific partition technic, usually performed automatically by windows installation media. Or which unusual specification should have manually created partition,
    to be recognized as windows "system" partition (like it's size, file system, flags, special records (mbr, bsd) etc.)

Александр K, Feb 1, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

You don't have to delete all partitions. As long as you leave the partition unallocated (excluded UBUNTU partition) then Windows should create all needed partitions.
    NOTE: If you install Windows with UBUNTU already existed, Windows is not aware of UBUNTU. You would need to use EasyBCD to create a boot entry for UBUNTU for dual booting.
    Do you use Macrium to backup Windows ? If so, you don't need to re-install Windows. Just use Macrium to copy all Windows partitions back to the SSD/HD unless your Windows 10 does not function properly and you want to re-install.

topgundcp, Feb 1, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the computer has an UEFI bios with secure booting, will that work?

NavyLCDR, Feb 1, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Never have any use for Secure Boot enabled so if it does not work, just temporarily disable it. I doubt if the OP has Linux installed on a GPT disk since it is more complicate to setup ie. creating extra partitions on Linux to set up to work with GPT disk.

Personally, I don't use dual boot, always set up Windows/Linux on separate SSD/HD with its own Boot Manager and use Boot Menu to boot from.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions - Similar Threads - Clean install manually

2. Clean Install Partitions Query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Partitions Query: My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to...
  3. How to open manually created backup files?

How to open manually created backup files?: So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do....
  4. How to install updates manually?

How to install updates manually?: I have started Windows 1809 update. But the internet connection was quite slow so I shutdown my system at 48% (downloaded). But when I have turned on my system to continue downloading, it says "You're up to date".[ATTACH] But when I checked the update history it shows...
  5. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  6. Clean Installation Created Partitions with Drive Letters?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clean Installation Created Partitions with Drive Letters?!: Greetings All, I clean installed Win 10 RTM version on my laptop a few weeks ago. I have a basic GPT setup. Installation went fine, however the installer created a 'Recovery' drive (D*Smile with a size of 600 MB (262 MB free) & a 'Local Disk' drive (E*Smile with a size...
  7. No System partition on new clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No System partition on new clean install: I did a clean install build 10130 on separate (MBR) ssd. All other ssds (Win 7 and Win 8.1) were unplugged. I ended up with no "system" partition. I use the Win 8.1 ssd as the first in the boot order and this drive has a "system" partition from an earlier Win 10 install. All...
  8. New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!

New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!: Normally I Partition my drives myself using Gparted. With a Fresh out of the box (Not even formatted) I wanted to see what Win10 would do with the drive. It created 3 partitions (Which surprised me). I expected an EFI partition, and the OS partition, but I didn't expect...
  9. Does a Windows 10, clean install, create the necessary partitions?

Does a Windows 10, clean install, create the necessary partitions?: I have upgraded my Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 through the Windows update app and have created an installation media USB stick. I want to clean install, something I am very familiar with, but not since the new uefi, gpt, legacy etc. that I'm not familiar with. If I do a...
  10. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...