Windows 10: Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions

Discus and support Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to clean install Windows 10, and I already did that before using the tutorial here. But last time I did not have Ubuntu install. And in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mibaup, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions

I want to clean install Windows 10, and I already did that before using the tutorial here.
    But last time I did not have Ubuntu install.
    And in the tutorial, you must delete all partitions in order for Windows to create the special necessary partitions (Recovery, MSR, MBR etc..)
    But now that I have a Linux partition that I don't want to delete, and according to the tutorial, Windows installation will not create these partitions.

How can I manually create them? Is it simply allocating a space for them and naming them the proper way and Windows will know how to use them? Or there's more than that?
    Also, What happens if I do not have these partitions?

Thanks!

:)

mibaup, Feb 1, 2016

2. Needs two partitions to boot

You don't need to create any partitions manually to install Windows 10.

Windows 10 setup automatically creates a system reserved partition during setup for storing recovery files.

How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Create SYSTEM partition (update to 1607)

Sorry, but you've got me completely wrong.

I'm not asking about how to partition my drive to save some data (like discussed in refer topic), I'm asking how to
    simulate specific partition technic, usually performed automatically by windows installation media. Or which unusual specification should have manually created partition,
    to be recognized as windows "system" partition (like it's size, file system, flags, special records (mbr, bsd) etc.)

Александр K, Feb 1, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

You don't have to delete all partitions. As long as you leave the partition unallocated (excluded UBUNTU partition) then Windows should create all needed partitions.
    NOTE: If you install Windows with UBUNTU already existed, Windows is not aware of UBUNTU. You would need to use EasyBCD to create a boot entry for UBUNTU for dual booting.
    Do you use Macrium to backup Windows ? If so, you don't need to re-install Windows. Just use Macrium to copy all Windows partitions back to the SSD/HD unless your Windows 10 does not function properly and you want to re-install.

topgundcp, Feb 1, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the computer has an UEFI bios with secure booting, will that work?

NavyLCDR, Feb 1, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Never have any use for Secure Boot enabled so if it does not work, just temporarily disable it. I doubt if the OP has Linux installed on a GPT disk since it is more complicate to setup ie. creating extra partitions on Linux to set up to work with GPT disk.

Personally, I don't use dual boot, always set up Windows/Linux on separate SSD/HD with its own Boot Manager and use Boot Menu to boot from.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install - how to manually create the special partitions - Similar Threads - Clean install manually

2. How to create a recovery partition while performing a clean installation of Windows 10 pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a recovery partition while performing a clean installation of Windows 10 pro?: Hello.I was having some issues with Windows, so I performed a clean installation of Windows 10 pro, using installation media created with Dell's OS recovery tool. But with this installation, the recovery partition was not created. I have used Dell's OS recovery tool on few...
  3. How can I manually create a boot partition for an MBR disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I manually create a boot partition for an MBR disk?: I'm trying to create a boot partition for an MBR disk, so the create par efi size=512 doesn't work.What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-manually-create-a-boot-partition-for-an/65a1bc0b-6572-4094-af48-17758fa876b8
  4. How can I manually create a boot partition for an MBR disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I manually create a boot partition for an MBR disk?: I'm trying to create a boot partition for an MBR disk, so the create par efi size=512 doesn't work.What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-manually-create-a-boot-partition-for-an/65a1bc0b-6572-4094-af48-17758fa876b8
  5. Use DiskPart to Create the OS Partition on Clean Install.

Use DiskPart to Create the OS Partition on Clean Install.: I have a Laptop HDD [ my preferred option as opposed to an SSD on this Laptop ] arriving on Friday and I want to use DiskPart to Setup the size of the OS Partition. The main reason I want to do it this way is because DiskPart can create an exact 30 GB Partition [ my OCD ] for...
  6. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  7. Clean Installation Created Partitions with Drive Letters?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clean Installation Created Partitions with Drive Letters?!: Greetings All, I clean installed Win 10 RTM version on my laptop a few weeks ago. I have a basic GPT setup. Installation went fine, however the installer created a 'Recovery' drive (D*Smile with a size of 600 MB (262 MB free) & a 'Local Disk' drive (E*Smile with a size...
  8. New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!

New SSD - Clean Install - 3 (???) Partitions Created!: Normally I Partition my drives myself using Gparted. With a Fresh out of the box (Not even formatted) I wanted to see what Win10 would do with the drive. It created 3 partitions (Which surprised me). I expected an EFI partition, and the OS partition, but I didn't expect...
  9. Does a Windows 10, clean install, create the necessary partitions?

Does a Windows 10, clean install, create the necessary partitions?: I have upgraded my Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 through the Windows update app and have created an installation media USB stick. I want to clean install, something I am very familiar with, but not since the new uefi, gpt, legacy etc. that I'm not familiar with. If I do a...
  10. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...