Windows 10: Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

Discus and support Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joe Bleau, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Joe Bleau Win User

Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I guess has the digital entitlement since no keys were entered. I would like to clean install & format the drive using the USB Windows Pro 10 media & Brink's Windows 10 - Clean Install tutorial and have 3 questions:

Q1: checking in System Information is says the OS was installed in BIOS Legacy Mode but in the Boot menu there is an option to select UEFI instead. Which one is the best?

Q2: if clean install is done with an English US version instead of Spanish will I loose the activation?

Q3: I tried changing the display & speech language option to English in my current Spanish OS, rebooted several times and get the persistent Windows Search "these results may be incomplete" error after Indexing is completed as reported in other threads while it works fine when reverting back to Spanish display mode. Anybody knows if that bug is solved in the anniversary update? *cake

Thanks!

:)

Joe Bleau, Aug 12, 2016

2. Stucked in bios

You probably have a Legacy MBR install on a UEFI BIOS which requires CSM to be enabled. When you disabled it then it couldn't boot.

You can confirm this by right clicking Start button to open Disk Management, confirm you have a System Reserved partition labeled System Active, or C is labeled System Active. This means you have a Legacy install. If you had a UEFI install you'd have EFI
    System Partition.

If you ever want to use the full features of the new UEFI firmware replacing BIOS', then when you

Clean Install Windows 10
    choose the boot media as a UEFI device, delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to clear the GPT formatting, click Next to reformat and begin UEFI install. This is all illustrated in the link.

UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 12, 2016
  3. Windows - Clean install on EFI Tablet PC

I have an iBall Slide i701 which had Windows 8.1 Single language when I got it. I used Windows genuine ISO with Media Creation tool to upgrade it to Windows 10 Home Single Language. Now, since there's a new build - 1511 I have downloaded the ISO from Techbench
    and want to clean install Windows 10 on my Tablet. And, by clean install, I mean I will be cleaning the drives with diskpart's clean all command. So, these are some questions I have:-

1. Can I clean install Windows like on a normal PC on this EFi Tablet. I found that it could boot off the Windows 10 USB I created. Are there any specific instructions for me to use on this UEFi tablet?

2. I can't find an option in the BIOs to switch to Legacy Boot, but can't find it. Any suggestions?

3. Since, I'll be using diskpart's clean all command, what about Activation after the clean install?

Vishnu Hari Kumar, Aug 12, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Q1 - more secure to use UEFI mode if supported
    Q2 - clean install should use the same language version (Spanish). I'm unsure if you could use the 64 bit version rather the the 32 bit
    version.
    Q3 - don't know

Steve C, Aug 12, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Q1: UEFI is better but you have to install 64bit. Older pcs may not be 64bit compatible.

Q2: if normal multi-language, will be fine.

Q3: sounds like you install is corrupted. An upgrade should work fine.

cereberus, Aug 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have two computer's with 32-bit installed in UEFI mode. NEXTBOOK Flexx 10 tablet and Azulle Access stick computer.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Yes but those devices use special 32bit bootloaders. The uefi standard does not specify the bit type actually - that is hardware dependent.

My tablet uses 32bit even though cpu is 64bit. It cannot be changed as the bootloader is flashed into the firmware.
    Similarly virtually all uefi pcs use a firmware flashed 64bit bootloader.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change? - Similar Threads - Clean install BIOS

2. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  3. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  4. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  5. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  6. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  7. Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT

Windows 10 Clean Install - Legacy BIOS/MBR vs. UEFI/GPT: My computer is several years old, but the main boot drive was replaced less than 3 months ago. Earlier this week an attempt to apply the version 2004 update rendered the computer unbootable 0xc0000098. After much googling, trying many things, and a help forum thread, I ended...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI

No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI: This happened after I made some BIOS setting changes from within Windows 10 (my mistake), in order to prepare my laptop to begin booting with UEFI mode. I have the latest OS. I get no options for UEFI in my BIOS setup, nor is the system partition active. It is coded as...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 clean install UEFI or Legacy