Windows 10: Clean Install may still reinstall Mfr's Bloatware

Discus and support Clean Install may still reinstall Mfr's Bloatware in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; From full article here - Zombie Crapware: How the Windows Platform Binary Table Works Microsoft added a new feature to Windows 8 that allows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrgeek, Aug 18, 2015.

1. mrgeek Win User

Clean Install may still reinstall Mfr's Bloatware

From full article here - Zombie Crapware: How the Windows Platform Binary Table Works

Microsoft added a new feature to Windows 8 that allows manufacturers to infect the UEFI firmware with crapware. Windows will continue installing and resurrecting this junk software even after you perform a clean-install. This feature continues to be present on Windows 10 ......

WPBT 101
    Beginning with Windows 8, a PC manufacturer can embed a program — a Windows .exe file, essentially — in the PC’s UEFI firmware . This is stored in the “Windows Platform Binary Table” (WPBT) section of the UEFI firmware. Whenever Windows boots, it looks at the UEFI firmware for this program, copies it from the firmware to the operating system drive, and runs it. Windows itself provides no way to stop this from happening. If the manufacturer’s UEFI firmware offers it up, Windows will run it without question.

EG - Lenovo shipped a variety of PCs with something called the “Lenovo Service Engine” (LSE) enabled. the Lenovo Service Engine downloads a program called the OneKey Optimizer and reports some amount of data back to Lenovo. Lenovo sets up system services designed to download and update software from the Internet, making it impossible to remove them — they’ll even automatically come back after a clean install of Windows. The UEFI firmware checks the C:\Windows\system32\autochk.exe file and overwrites it with Lenovo’s own version. This program runs at boot to check the file system on Windows, and this trick allows Lenovo to make this nasty practice work on Windows 7, too.

Does Your PC Include WPBT Software?

On PCs using the WPBT, Windows reads the binary data from the table in the UEFI firmware and copies it to a file named wpbbin.exe at boot.
    You can check your own PC to see if the manufacturer has included software in the WPBT. To find out, open the C:\Windows\system32 directory and look for a file named wpbbin.exe. The C:\Windows\system32\wpbbin.exe file only exists if Windows copies it from the UEFI firmware. If it’s not present, your PC manufacturer hasn’t used WPBT to automatically run software on your PC.

Clean Install may still reinstall Mfr's Bloatware [​IMG]

At least mine came up like the picture, no wpbbin above the checked one *Wink

:)

mrgeek, Aug 18, 2015

2. WIn 10 home upgrade to Pro

If you have upgraded (and activated) your win 10 Pro you can clean install from the ISO and simply skip the step where it asks for the key. The install will check with the online activation servers find your Pro credentials and complete the install

I ALWAYS remove mfr bloatware. +1

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 18, 2015
  3. Memory Management BSOD afer Windows 10 Upgrade

John

Thanks for letting us know. Gigabyte like most mfrs bloatware is atrocious.

Good Luck

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

Clean Install may still reinstall Mfr's Bloatware

1. Clean Install may still reinstall Mfr's Bloatware - Similar Threads - Clean Install may

2. Windows 10 won't stop reinstalling bloatware.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't stop reinstalling bloatware.: I have tried using the methods where you create a registry key for deprovisioned/provisioned apps method, I have tried this: Type regedit then hit Enter.Go to the follow Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Create a new key inside the Windows...
  3. Windows 10 won't stop reinstalling bloatware.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't stop reinstalling bloatware.: I have tried using the methods where you create a registry key for deprovisioned/provisioned apps method, I have tried this: Type regedit then hit Enter.Go to the follow Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Create a new key inside the Windows...
  4. Windows 10 won't stop reinstalling bloatware.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. free vversion reinstall as clean install

free vversion reinstall as clean install: I down loaded my free upgrade of win 10 Now i cannot load my office 16 iIam told i need a clean install of win 10 how do i reinstall the free win 19...
  6. Windows 10 - May 2020 version - Clean install

Windows 10 - May 2020 version - Clean install: 1. Why does the latest version of Windows 10 May 2020 create a recovery partition as well as thesystem partition on a clean install using a USB device created with the Microsoft Media Creation Tool? 2. Is it safe to remove? Please only sensible direct replies to the...
  7. Bloatware not automatically installed.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Bloatware not automatically installed.: As far as I know, Windows 10 automatically installs unwanted bloatware silently without permission (ex. Candy Crush). However, i tried to install Windows 10 in a virtual machine with the following steps without itself installing the bloatware. 1. Create a virtual machine...
  8. Windows still faulty even after a clean reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows still faulty even after a clean reinstall: I bought a second-hand surface Pro and after a clean reinstall, still, windows is faulty. the problem is that none of Windows settings and capabilities work. the start button doesn't work, the control panel won't open. and none of the things that you have access through...
  9. Why does 'fresh start' still install bloatware from OEM?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why does 'fresh start' still install bloatware from OEM?: I thought it would come clean with standard Windows 10 installation? In my case, the OEM is HP and the Windows is SL x64. I was using Get Started from Windows Defender Security Center app. 86390
  10. Clean Install Of Windows 10 May be Needed

Clean Install Of Windows 10 May be Needed: Thanks Bree, I made a printout of the instructions but now I am having connection problems. The links that are given are too slow to connect. I will save the instructions for future reference and have decided to have a pro fix my computer.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clean isntall of windows still install bloatware