Windows 10: Clean-Install needed

Discus and support Clean-Install needed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I think I already know the answers to my question -- but I wanted to check with the Experts here before I attempt this and ruin a working PC. (NOTE:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Phelps, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Clean-Install needed

I think I already know the answers to my question -- but I wanted to check with the Experts here before I attempt this and ruin a working PC. (NOTE: This is my wife's PC, and she will KILL me if I mess it up!)

I have an old Win10 desktop (upgraded from Win7) that is NOW failing the recent KB update over and over -- and I want to do a clean-install from the latest Win10 media.

There are some catches, though ...

First, the PC is running 32-bit and I want to replace that with 64-bit. It has a 64-bit processor and is only running 32-bit because the previous motherboard failed and I migrated this to a new motherboard using Macrium Reflect and, at the time, did not want to go through the grief of reinstalling. So, this PC is activated using Win10 -- but if I install 64-bit install, that should still activate OK, right?

Second, the PC already has two physical drives in it, with no room to mount a third, so I want to put the new Win10 install on the same SSD as the existing one by clearing out a data partition and making some space. So, when I do that, realizing that the installation will update the boot information in the existing System Reserved partition (it is using BIOS, not UEFI), nonetheless, it should not touch the existing Win10 32-bit installation, right?

My thoughts around doing it this way is to have both the old 32-bit and new 64-bit installations working for a short while so I can carefully migrate stuff from the old to the new. And, yeah I know that I will have to reinstall all the apps again, but I'm more concerned about being able to migrate the settings and data.

Once I get the 64-bit version working OK, I will erase the 32-bit version and recover the disk space -- as I have an MR image of it to keep.

Since this was an Upgrade, and I have an image of the Win7 32-bit installation, should I go the extra mile to restore that and use it to generate the genuineticket.xml file, just in case the activation of the 64-bit installation does not take?

And finally, since the FCU comes out in a few days, can I use the ISOs I already made of build 16299.15 (from my Insider machine) to do this installation? Or, should I install from the last release and just upgrade on the 17th?

Anything else I might have missed?

:)

Mark Phelps, Oct 11, 2017
  2. LloydS55 Win User

Product key needed for Windows 10 clean install on dead PC that had Windows 7?

I have a HP PC that was running an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home (pre-installed). The hard drive quit last week, so I figured it would just be simpler to upgrade to Windows 10 with a clean install. I have the product key for the copy of Windows 7 that was
    on the old drive, but Microsoft rejects it with an error code 0xc004f050. There must be a way to use this product key for a clean install as an upgrade instead of having to re-install 7 and then run the 10 upgrade- any suggestions?

LloydS55, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Product key needed for Windows 10 clean install on dead PC that had Windows 7?

Hi,

It will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

You cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through

Windows Update
    or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function
    in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

Refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Clean-Install needed

Activation doesn't care whether you chop and change between 32 or 64 bit. There should be no issues there. However you can not upgrade a 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa. You have to clean install to make the change.

It seems pointless to clean install now, only to upgrade in a few days time. I would just wait, and that means wait until the official consumer release appears. No point guessing whether the latest Insider build will or will not be the same as the final release.

Do it right and do it just the once *Smile

(and if you have only 4Gb or less then the 32 bit version could win out at the end of the day. You gain in some areas and lose in others.)

Mooly, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Thanks ... but I need to know if installing a 64-bit version of Win10 to another partition on the SSD is going to mess with the existing 32-bit install in any way. Because if it is, then I need to find a way to install to a different disk.

Mark Phelps, Oct 11, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Others have tried dual-booting 32 & 64 bit, apparently it can be done. here's one...

Dual boot Windows 10 32 bit and Windows 10 64 bit

Personally I'd avoid it, my backup plan would be to make an image of the existing 32-bit system with something like Macrium Reflect (free) as your 'fall-back' option then do a clean install of 64-bit.

BTW, I run 64-bit in 4GB of RAM with no apparent downside. Even seems to work fine when I test using it without a swapfile (though I wouldn't recommend that, I was just curious as to how it would perform).

7. It's not my intention to keep both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions around for a long time -- just long enough to migrate everything onto the 64-bit install.

Mark Phelps, Oct 12, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Clean-Install needed

NavyLCDR, Oct 12, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    If it were my PC. Here's what I would do:
    • Move all personal data to second disk.
    • Make a backup image of of current 32 bit Windows and save it to second disk.
    • Wipe out completely the first disk then fresh install Windows 10 64 bit.
      Reason: Since you upgraded from Windows 7 which has 100MB Reserved partition and probably one or more 450MB Recovery partition(s). Here's a chance to make Windows 10 disk partitions correctly with only 500MB Reserved System partition and C drive.
    • Once done, shrink C drive with enough space to copy your old C-drive (Windows 32 bit) using Macrium. Macrium will automatically assign a new drive letter for your old 32bit C-Drive. e.g. D or E.
    • Boot up Windows 10 64bit, open the admin command prompt and type:
      bcdboot E:\Windows ======> Assuming E was assigned in step 4
      This will setup dual boot for both Windows 64/32 bit
    • Your final disk layout should correctly have:
      500MB Systen reserved, C drive (64bit Windows), E drive (32bit Windows) ===> Assuming E was assigned to the 32 bit Windows.
    • Once you are happy with new install of Windows 64 bit. Run MsConfig to remove the dual boot of 32 bit then delete the old 32 bit Windows.

topgundcp, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Hey folks, thanks for all the advice!

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean-Install needed

1. Clean-Install needed - Similar Threads - Clean Install needed

2. Considering a Clean Install, need options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Considering a Clean Install, need options: Split from this thread. Hello -What you posted here doesn't seem to have anything to do with Windows 10 Updates. I don't recognize most of what you describe. A Restart means restarting your PC powering off and right back on. Did you mean Reset which has a tutorial here: Reset...
  3. Considering a Clean Install, need options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Considering a Clean Install, need options: Split from this thread. Hello -What you posted here doesn't seem to have anything to do with Windows 10 Updates. I don't recognize most of what you describe. A Restart means restarting your PC powering off and right back on. Did you mean Reset which has a tutorial here: Reset...
  4. [HELP] Need to clean install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Need to clean install windows: Hi all, I got new laptop where windows 10 is activated. Now I want clean install windows 10. Without losing windows 10 activation how can I do this ? Also wanted to complete wipe c drive data and keep other drive data as it is? Please guide me submitted by /u/Santhire55...
  5. Need Windows 10 CD for clean install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Need Windows 10 CD for clean install: Is one available yet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-10-cd-for-clean-install/4803c519-98ea-4408-a1e6-7ab694180c63"
  6. need to install fresh clean windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to install fresh clean windows: Hi , How can I install a fresh windows in my PC. I don't have a disc or something ,when I tried with restore option it asks for disc mediums . since it is a licensed version how can I get to install windows...
  7. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install: After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these...
  8. need clean install windows 10

need clean install windows 10: This was a windows 7 upgraded to 10. The pc has had a number of issue since the upgrade. Some issues i have been able to fix but some not and others are developing or worsening. I have had a number of crashes from iqrl less than or not eaqual to nonresposive pages both...
  9. Clean Install Of Windows 10 May be Needed

Clean Install Of Windows 10 May be Needed: Thanks Bree, I made a printout of the instructions but now I am having connection problems. The links that are given are too slow to connect. I will save the instructions for future reference and have decided to have a pro fix my computer.
  10. If clean install is needed

If clean install is needed: Hi I bought a windows 10 laptop removed the drive and fitted SSD drive cloned the original drive,what would happen if for any reason I had to reinstall windows 10 i dont have a product key! Would I need a product key?do i need to keep the original drive with the operating...