Windows 10: Clean install now?

Discus and support Clean install now? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TonyCraig, Jul 9, 2015.

1. TonyCraig Win User

Clean install now?

My system (W7 64) is badly in need of a clean install but I was waiting until next month to do it with W10. However, it is quickly becoming unusable so I am wondering about doing it immediately - with the preview (I already use preview W10 on my laptop). However, the FAQ seems to imply that I would have a problem when production W10 comes, as W7 would no longer be installed (tho I have the disk and key).
    Also, even if I wait till next month, do I have to do an upgrade first, then follow it with a clean install?

:)

TonyCraig, Jul 9, 2015
  2. d0gknees Win User

To Clean Install...Or Not To Clean Install

A "clean install" by definition deletes all content of your drive, that's what the "clean" means. If you want to keep things it can't be a clean install, you have to upgrade.

Personally, I recommend you first update and get all the correct drivers for your devices and chase down the media to re-install your applications. Then save them on an external drive and do a clean install. You will have to re-install all software and re-configure,
    but you end up with a lot less problems going forward.

The cost is greater but so is the reward.

A large proportion of the issues people report here seem to be due to not doing clean installs. My own experience is that a clean install with the new drivers works well. My PC respondes better than it did on Windows 7. Although it has a normal hard drive,
    it boots as fast as my Notebook which has an SSD and is still on Windows 7.

Good Luck

d0gknees, Jul 9, 2015
  3. To Clean Install...Or Not To Clean Install

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you wish to do a clean install but I would suggest you not to do so until you have upgraded to Windows 10 and it has been activated.

Therefore, make sure you first upgrade to Windows 10 using the Get Windows 10 App or the .ISO image. Make sure the Windows 10 is Activated.

Please do not attempt a clean install if you haven't activated Windows 10 on your system.

Once you have successfully activated Windows 10 you can perform a clean install.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jul 9, 2015
  4. bromanbro Win User

Clean install now?

Sticky has all the answers: tenforums.com/general-discussion/7340-frequently-asked-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade.html

However I'll give you the abridged version:

Clean install now? [​IMG]

So 99% certainty that if you do the in-place upgrade from your 7>TP, then you will have the option to convert to Final on 29th.

However, MS haven't revealed any activation procedures regarding Windows 10 yet, so they can easily change their mind on 11:59PM on the 28th and say "lol format".

bromanbro, Jul 9, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    If it were me I would re-install Win7 and get the upgrade on the 29th. You/we need to have completed the upgrade before we can do a clean install of WIn10.

Hth..

BunnyJ, Jul 9, 2015
  6. bromanbro Win User
    Omg a wild bunny appears!

I disagree, he should do the upgrade to the TP, see how it goes, and if everything explodes, he can reinstall 7 then-and-there, but if it works fine, then he can wait until the 29th and see if the TP>Final is okayed by MS.

Either way, you gotta upgrade first before you can clean install.

bromanbro, Jul 9, 2015
  7. Dave44 Win User
    yes but if he upgrades windows 10 from windows 7 he be in fIrst wave of getting GA on 29th as insiders get it first

Dave44, Jul 9, 2015
  8. Dave44 Win User

Clean install now?

if he uses windows 7 he not certain to get it on 29th if he installs windows 10 IP he will as they get first wave

Dave44, Jul 9, 2015
  9. bromanbro Win User
    Truedat, I forgot.

But the point I was making is that MS mite say "lol you want final? upgrade via GWX App"...so he'd have to format again.

bromanbro, Jul 9, 2015
  10. Dave44 Win User
    but it will be final version as it have his windows 7 licence still in bios

Dave44, Jul 9, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Either way.. he can do a fast test with Win10 over the weekend and still have lots of time to go back to Win7 and he should get the upgrade on or about the 29th.

BunnyJ, Jul 9, 2015
  12. TonyCraig Win User
    Thanks guys. Lots to think about tho I wont be getting W10 on 29th as I'm on holiday!

TonyCraig, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean install now?

1. Clean install now? - Similar Threads - Clean install

2. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  3. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  4. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  5. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  6. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...
  7. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...
  8. Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install: I have an HP Victus Fb-0119AX laptop, and I just did a clean windows 11 install.If I press Fn+Esc key, the HP System Info doesn't come up. Also, before clean installing, pressing fn+f11 would disable touchpad. and while disabling the touchpad by pressing those 2 buttons, and...
  9. Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install

Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install: I have an HP Victus Fb-0119AX laptop, and I just did a clean windows 11 install.If I press Fn+Esc key, the HP System Info doesn't come up. Also, before clean installing, pressing fn+f11 would disable touchpad. and while disabling the touchpad by pressing those 2 buttons, and...
  10. BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows: I am having BSOD errors on my Dell Alienware M17 R5 laptop, i am installing manufacturers drivers but i think its driver related. I am adding my minidump files. Minidump.zip I tried using driver checker and i got BSOD errors hypervisor_error, pfn list corrupt and after trying...