Windows 10: clean install of Windows 10 fails

Discus and support clean install of Windows 10 fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, This is my first time posting in the forums and i am hoping you all will be able to help me. I am using the "Clean Install" guide from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ranoris, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Ranoris Win User

clean install of Windows 10 fails

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in the forums and i am hoping you all will be able to help me.

I am using the "Clean Install" guide from TenForums found here.

During the installation when i arrive to step 13b (Windows Setup will automatically create the 4 partitions below on the drive, and install Windows 10 on the primary partition.) Windows does not create the partition table in this way. In fact Windows in unable to partition the SDD or HDD in this manner. I have made sure to only have one drive connected at a time so this is not the issue and made sure that i boot into UEFI mode from the UEFI Bios Boot menu.

I have tried many things to get windows 10 to install to a brand new pc i just built. I have attempted to go into CMD during windows installation (shift+f10) and clean which ever drive i am trying to install to and convert it to GPT. CMD prompt will state it was converted successfully but when reviewed with the list disk function in cmd prompt the disk is not marked GPT.

I have at my disposal another PC which is currently running Win10. I have attempted to plug both drives into the hotswap on this p and run the below script to convert to GPT and create the required Partitions
    "cleanconvert gptcreate part efi size=100format quick fs=fat32 label=Systemassign letter=Screate part msr size=128create part priformat quick fs=ntfs label=Windowsassign letter=Wexit"
    But this ultimately fails too.I have to often create new Windows 10 bootable USBs as I will get one attempt to install windows successfully (which ultimately fails) and then the drive will not boot to the installer anymore.

I have RMA'd 3 boards, been forced to switch to another board completely, and still have issues. I am running out of ideas. Please help.

:)

Ranoris, Sep 5, 2016

2. Windows update error

Hi! Are you sure you made a clean install of windows?? Are you saying that the updates fail to install after a clean install?? Here's how to do i clean install.

Clean Install Windows 10

garybear89, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update clean install fails on Intel Compute Stick STK2MV64CC sdbus internal error

See the two last replies in the following thread:

Intel Compute Stick with Windows 10 - 1511 update failure

I would advise you wait before installing the Anniversary Update. Users attempting to update to 1511 from 10240 earlier this year experienced a similar issue until Intel released a fix.

also see:

Issue with Windows 10 Autumn Update

and review too:

Concerns on Windows 10 Upgrade From Threshold 2 (1511) to Anniversary Update (1607)

Andre Da Costa, Sep 5, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Hi, is that an SSHD by any chance ?

CountMike, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Ranoris Win User
    Hey Mike,

Here is the actual SSHD i bought from NewEgg

mushkin ECO^3

Ranoris, Sep 5, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    I don't know if this will work for you but it did for me. I was trying to do a new install of Windows 10 on my SSD. when I would get to step 13 My SSD was unallocated but when I clicked next I couldn't get Windows to install. Finally I decided to try New instead of just clicking next. I got a message that Windows was going to make the necessary partitions and did I want to continue. I chose yes and Windows made all the necessary partitions and installed without any problem. I don't know why just clicking the next option didn't work as the drive was unallocated.

Winuser, Sep 5, 2016
  7. Ranoris Win User
    Hey Winuser,

When i click next Windows does not create the needed partitions.

I Cleand the drive on the pc im using to type to you here and converted the drive to GPT here. When i placed the drive in the new pc and booted into UEFI install two partitions were found.
    -Drive 0 Paritions 1 (128mb) MSR (reserved
    -Drive 0 Unallocated Space (111.7GB)

I clicked next so that windows could create additional partitions it needed and shortly after it kicked this error code out...
    "We couldn't creat a new partition. [Error: 0x82470d80]."

I clicked ok. The drive resets to an incorrect value of total size and when i attempt to delete the partition this error code got kicked out...
    "We couldn't delete the selected partition. [Error:0x80070032].

I clicke on the "windows cant be installed on drive 0 partition 1. (show details) and the messege tells me the Disk is in MBR.

Ranoris, Sep 5, 2016
  8. Ranoris Win User

I have updated my system specs in my profile to reflect the specs of the computer I am having difficulties installing windows to.

Ranoris, Sep 5, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Don't format the Drive on another PC or at all actually , Clean the Drive during the Win10 install and just chose Next , don't create partitions or Format the Drive , let win10 setup do that.

try this:

• Boot up Windows Installation USB
    • On the first screen. Hold down SHIFT + F10. A command Windows will pop up. Type:
      diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    • Continue with the installation, select Customize, click on Disk 0, do not format then click Next, Windows Installation will create all needed partitions then install Windows.

Kbird, Sep 5, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I don't know why it isn't working for you but this is what happened to me. It all started on Friday. I dual boot Windows 10 RTM and Windows 10 Insider. both are on separate drives. When I first installed the Windows 10 TP I had Windows 8 or 8.1(don't remember what one it was) on a separate SSD. A few days ago I moved my Insider build from a HDD to a SSD. Everything was working great. Then I decided I wanted to use my old HDD for storage. I purchased the needed sata cable and power adapter I needed to install the HDD. I was going to delete the Windows 10 Insider partition and make it one large drive for storage. Big mistake! It made it impossible to boot into my Insider build. I could still boot into my RTM install. I tried using my Macrium images to restore my Insider build but it didn't work. Then I tried installing from a ISO I downloaded from MS. I could get as far as step 13 in the tutorial and no farther. I made sure the drive was unallocated but when I clicked next the installer was trying to make the partition but it kept failing. Finally I decided to try new and see what would happen. Lo and behold the installer said it was going to make all necessary partition and ask if it was OK. I chose to let it proceed and it made the partitions and installed windows 10 Insider build. Then I booted from my Macrium boot disk and deleted the new C: drive and copied my Macrium image to the drive C: partition and I was good to go. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Are you sure the drive/partition you are trying to install to is unallocated?

Edit: forgot to add that now both installs have their own boot partition and I use EasyBCD to set it up so I can choose what version I want to boot to.

Winuser, Sep 5, 2016
  11. Right but what I did a little differently is in the other working stable windows build and spindle HDD for my SSD MBR to SSD GPT conversion thing for this new PC I cleaned the SSD with Diskpart ( * disk one ofc in my case ) and initiated it to GPT with disc manager and NTFS formatted it as an entire new volume that 14905 (*custom install selection) jumped right into and made the hidden GPT recovery partitions and all that but one could probably just let the windows media or USB do the NTFS format and partitions automatically at the custom install option like you said on a new diskpart or otherwise *same boot clean volume anyway .

IOW in windows 7 -10 I've never had to make windows partitions within a new volume or bare metal . *Smile

Sent from 14915

electronuser, Sep 5, 2016
  12. You can probably do a BC edit admin cmd and use the windows boot manager or on/off it but EasyBCD works really good also and its at the least a good back up boot mgr set up file to have in case .Also, you can type: bcdedit /help for all the options

electronuser, Sep 5, 2016
  13. Feather Win User

Or alternatively you can delete all the partitions on the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, until you only see Drive 0 Unallocated Space.

Error message when you boot from the Windows 10 USB/DVD in UEFI mode (see screenshot below): Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

clean install of Windows 10 fails [​IMG]

You must convert MBR disk to GPT disk. But if you want to use MBR partition table, then boot from the Windows 10 USB/DVD in Legacy BIOS mode.

How to convert MBR disk to GPT disk

Click the "Next" button. The installation of Windows 10 will begin.

Note: Once you have deleted all the partitions from the HDD/SSD, you can also click the "Next" button without clicking the "New" button. All the required partitions are created automatically during the Windows 10 installation.

Asus motherboard with UEFI firmware.
    - You do not need to change the default UEFI firmware settings, if you install Windows 10 64-bit in UEFI mode or Legacy BIOS mode.

Asus motherboard default UEFI firmware settings.
    - When you boot from the Windows 10 USB/DVD in UEFI mode (UEFI prefix in the boot menu), then Windows setup creates a GPT partitioned disk.
    - When you boot from the Windows 10 USB/DVD in Legacy BIOS mode (without UEFI prefix in the boot menu), then Windows setup creates a MBR partitioned disk.

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode

How to create a bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Option One: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI
    Option Two: Use "Rufus" to create Bootable Window 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI

Feather, Sep 5, 2016
  14. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Sep 5, 2016
  15. Ranoris Win User
    Hey Kbird,

Really appropriate your help!

So i did your steps to the T and this is the error code that was kicked back to me.
    "We couldn't install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. Here's more into about what happened: 0x80300002."

​Any ideas?

Ranoris, Sep 6, 2016
Thema:

1. clean install of Windows 10 fails - Similar Threads - clean install fails

2. Windows 10 Clean Install Failing Miserably

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Clean Install Failing Miserably: Hi all, any help on the following is appreciated.This issue began after I ran a clean on my PC and accidentally clicked yes to the last pop up which was to delete windows registry files. In doing so the automatic repair will also not work. This PC ran perfectly fine before...
  3. Windows 10 Clean Install Failing Miserably

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Clean Install Failing Miserably: Hi all, any help on the following is appreciated.This issue began after I ran a clean on my PC and accidentally clicked yes to the last pop up which was to delete windows registry files. In doing so the automatic repair will also not work. This PC ran perfectly fine before...
  4. Windows 10 Clean Install Failing Miserably

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Clean install of Windows 10 fails repeatedly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of Windows 10 fails repeatedly: I did a clean reset on a Dell Inspiron laptop that was working so I could give the laptop to someone else. The re-installation of windows never completed so after about 12 hours, I gave up and decided to reinstall. I used another computer to download Media Creator and put the...
  6. Windows 10 Clean Install Failing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Clean Install Failing: I have the current setup: MoBo: ASRock X570 Steel Legend (AM4) CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: GTX960 RAM: 16Gb Patriot Viper 3200MHz 2x8Gb Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 Tb M.2 NVME All devices are seen in BIOS. I am booting with a Windows 10 bootable USB device, created using the...
  7. Failed Windows 10 Clean Install...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failed Windows 10 Clean Install...: Jesus Christ, my high-end PC might be in a really bad state. Could be a really bad virus. I tried to startup repair. PC restarts with a black screen. I tried to uninstall the previous Windows update. Black screen. Latest windows update won't install and comes out with an...
  8. Failing clean Windows 10 Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failing clean Windows 10 Install: Hello. I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out why I can't get a clean install of Windows 10. Figured I'd try this before taking to the shop to spend money I don't have :) I have a HP 14-AL062NR laptop. I've had it for a few years and used it heavily. About a month...
  9. Updates fail on clean Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates fail on clean Windows 10 installation: Hello everyone. Just made a clean install of Windows 10 version 1903 on my laptop. The system done some updates, but the following won't complete: KB4516115 - Error code: 0x80070003 KB4514359 - Error code: 0x80070003 KB4515384 - Error code: 0x80242016 I tried to re-install...
  10. Windows 10 clean install - fails to activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 clean install - fails to activate: I did a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro in early July. It hosed my machine, with constant CPU usage of 80-99%. Details are provided here: Windows 10 Upgrade Failure Results in Unusable PC – Specific Questions I struggled to fix it throughout July, and then...