Windows 10: Clean install of Windows 10 keeping intact partition with data

Discus and support Clean install of Windows 10 keeping intact partition with data in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have to install Windows 10 Pro in a bootable hard drive of about 1Tb (model WD10EARS), formatted like this: first an 850Gb NTFS partition with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vigil Avernal, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Clean install of Windows 10 keeping intact partition with data

Hi,
    I have to install Windows 10 Pro in a bootable hard drive of about 1Tb (model WD10EARS), formatted like this: first an 850Gb NTFS partition with data, and then 150Gb of unallocated space. Currently no operating system is installed on the disk. My aim is to install the copy of Windows 10 in the unallocated space, keeping untouched the partition with the data; is it possible?

:)

Vigil Avernal, Jun 25, 2016
  2. Di [MSFT] Win User

Recovery partition in Win 8.1 after upgrade to Win 10.0

The recovery partition will be intact after upgrade to Win 10.

With Windows 10 you will have following options to Reset your PC

1. Keep My files - this will re-install Win 10 but keep your data

2. Remove everything - this will remove all user data and reinstall Windows

3. Restore to Factory Settings - this will use the recovery image you have on the recovery partition and restore Win 8.1 your PC came with.

Hope this helps!

Di [MSFT], Jun 25, 2016
  3. Di [MSFT] Win User
    Can I make a recovery disk of my Windows 10.

The recovery partition will be intact after upgrade to Win 10.

With Windows 10 you will have following options to Reset your PC

1. Keep My files - this will re-install Win 10 but keep your data

2. Remove everything - this will remove all user data and reinstall Windows 10

3. Restore to Factory Settings - this will use the recovery image you have on the recovery partition and restore Win 8.1 your PC came with.

Hope this helps!

Di [MSFT], Jun 25, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Clean install of Windows 10 keeping intact partition with data

During installation, in one of first stages you will be able to choose which partition to install to. You can choose that un-allocated one or you can format it to NTFS before you start installation. It shouldn't touch other partitions. It may be a good idea to give a name to each partition before starting so you don't accidentally start installation on wrong one because it may show a letter assigned to each partition differently.
    It's pity you didn't make that partition on which you want to install windows on to be first partition. Your new windows C: partition and BOOT partition(s) windows will make will be after your data partition. That can slow BOOT down a bit and make it more difficult to repartition drive later on.

CountMike, Jun 25, 2016
  5. Hazel123 Win User
    I think it is. Depending on how you do it. Do you have a copy of windows 10 with a product key? Or were you wanting to download a free copy (in which case you'd need Windows 7 or 8 installed first (although I think there's a way to do a clean install without installing Windows 7 or 8 first as long as you have the product key for W7 o 8).

Anyway, you'd be best doing a clean install and selecting/formatting the 150gb partition when you install. Whether you'd be able to access that date from the Windows 10 installation I don't know. Someone else more experienced might.

(Posted at the same time as Mike who knows more *Smile)

Hazel123, Jun 25, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    Happens to me all the time. I type pretty slow.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Clean install of Windows 10 keeping intact partition with data

1. Clean install of Windows 10 keeping intact partition with data - Similar Threads - Clean install keeping

2. How to clean install Windows on one partition and keeping the other partitions unchanged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clean install Windows on one partition and keeping the other partitions unchanged: Hello,I think that it's all in the title.I have a disk with two partitions "C" and "D". Windows is actually installed on the C but as the file system got corrupted, I'd like to do a fresh installation on that partition.I don't want a "real" clean install of Windows, I want to...
  3. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  4. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  5. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  6. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  7. Clean Install - Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  8. Clean install while keeping existing partitions?

Clean install while keeping existing partitions?: the tutorial here says to delete all partitions before clean installing windows 10. But I don't want to do that. I just want to reinstall cleanly on the OS partition only. In the past with win7, when I had an OS and Data partition, I would just reinstall the OS, and my...
  9. Clean install Windows 10 and keep my Windows 8.1 partition?

Clean install Windows 10 and keep my Windows 8.1 partition?: Since I had trouble with the upgrade with Windows 10 running very slow i'd like to try a clean install, but i'm weary because I am afraid it will wipe my 8.1 main partition and not roll back. I'm using this as a guide, but need to make sure i'm doing this properly. How to...
  10. Perform a clean install on a disk that has a data partition?

Perform a clean install on a disk that has a data partition?: I've been considering shrinking my one disk (disk 0) to create another volume, a data partition, but I'm still not clear what happens in the event that I want to refresh, reset or clean install Windows 10 in the future. Would the data partition remain or, as I thought I read,...