Windows 10: Clean install of windows 10 preview on a computer upgraded from 8.1

Discus and support Clean install of windows 10 preview on a computer upgraded from 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I figure this will be an easy one, but I just wanted to double check as there seems to be a lot of 95% complete info out there lol.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jeffyboy, Aug 11, 2016.

1. jeffyboy Win User

Clean install of windows 10 preview on a computer upgraded from 8.1

Hi all,

I figure this will be an easy one, but I just wanted to double check as there seems to be a lot of 95% complete info out there lol. Basically I was using the windows 10 preview long before windows 10 dropped and have kept using it and providing feedback since. I would now like to do an erase and reinstall on the drive with just a drag and drop back up restore - so I can be sure I'm providing accurate feedback on a clean install.

I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way and not risking this finikity update licence they issued for windows 8 users. Am I right in thinking I just download the install tool from the insider program page, wipe my drive and away I go? or might this cause problems with my update licence?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

:)

jeffyboy, Aug 11, 2016
  2. Lefach Win User

I installed Windows 10 Home Insider Preview from my Windows 8.1 install. Not a clean install of the preview. Will it be upgraded to the full version on the 29th?

Original Title: Window 10 Preview to Full Version

I installed Windows 10 Home Insider Preview from my Windows 8.1 install. Not a clean install of the preview. Will it be upgraded to the full version on the 29th, or will I have to go back down to 8.1 before that date to get it?

Thank You.

Lefach, Aug 11, 2016
  3. My Windows 10 computer is not activated. Help pls

I have a Dell computer. Around a month ago, I upgraded my Windows 8.1 computer to a Windows 8.1 Pro Build. I believe that could have been my problem there. Then I had it upgraded to Windows 10 Technical Preview, and upgraded to the latest version, but
    it said that Windows is not activated. With me upgrading my computer from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro Build could be the problem? Do I need to downgrade and do a clean install? Need help.

Donald K.Williams, Aug 11, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

First - a drag and drop back up restore is not a clean install. It is a restoration of a previously installed operating system. Second, what does you current activation screen say? Does it say it is activated with a digital license or entitlement? If it says digital license or entitlement than you are good to go to do a real clean install by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD, wiping the hard drive, and installing Windows 10 to the unallocated space.

If the Windows 10 setup asks for a product key, click the option to skip it. As long as you install the same version of Windows 10 to the same computer, it will activate automatically when it connects to the internet. If you had plain Windows 10 Home on the computer, then install plain Windows 10 Home. Do not install Single Language Edition. Do not install N edition. Do not install Pro.

Clean install of windows 10 preview on a computer upgraded from 8.1 [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Aug 11, 2016
  5. jeffyboy Win User
    Thanks for the speedy reply!

Well... a drag and drop is as close as they're getting lol, I'm not erasing my personal files *Shock. Basically I'll erase the drive, reinstall windows, redownload my software (not much really - office, browsers, VS, Unity, PS, Gimp, Blender) then drag my documents, media and project files back over - trying to avoid any config files. I'm also taking the opportunity to clean out my one drive and get it a bit more organised (I let myself get a bit slack between one drive and this PC *slaps wrist*)

Clean install of windows 10 preview on a computer upgraded from 8.1 [​IMG]

Looking at this my activation is liked to my account so it should be all good to go right? I'll just double check I remember my password lol

Thanks again - I find the whole update activation thing a bit foggy in the minutia!

Jeff

jeffyboy, Aug 11, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you stated drag and drop restore, I thought you meant an image of the operating system, such as restoring with Macrium Reflect free. Just talking about dragging and dropping your data files is still a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Clean install of windows 10 preview on a computer upgraded from 8.1 - Similar Threads - Clean install preview

2. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.: I have an older Laptop that I use for travel. It was my wife's old laptop. It crashed ad I had reload then it became available. OEM disks after replacing the hard drive. Now it's running 8.1. I had previously upgraded it to Widows 10 when available. It I just bought a new...
  3. Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.: I have an older Laptop that I use for travel. It was my wife's old laptop. It crashed ad I had reload then it became available. OEM disks after replacing the hard drive. Now it's running 8.1. I had previously upgraded it to Widows 10 when available. It I just bought a new...
  4. Window 10 upgrade from 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 10 upgrade from 8: Can I upgrade direct from 8 to 10 I have tried updating to 8.1 but it is continually failing attached is a copy of my specs on this laptop Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-upgrade-from-8/b95452fa-dbf9-4d06-bcbe-60d52335c15a
  5. upgrading to Windows 10 from 8

upgrading to Windows 10 from 8: Hello, So I finally upgraded my dads windows 8 laptop to windows 10 because he's a stubborn old man who wouldnt do it when it was free.. That windows 8 version had face recognition password that he used to log in and cant remember the password he used to create that log...
  6. WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi not working after upgrading to windows 10 from windows 8. 1: After I upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10 my WiFi is not working. When I restart also it isn't working. Randomly after I shutdown and start my laptop, it's working. Hope a quick solution for this issue. Thank you....
  7. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, fails installation

Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, fails installation: Hello i have a laptop with windows 8 and want to upgrade to windows 10 by the media creation tool after going though the steps of downloading and installing the upgrade with keeping personal files and apps when it says restarting it dose not restart and the blue windows 10...
  8. BSOD mb after upgrade from 8 to 10 & also clean install of 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD mb after upgrade from 8 to 10 & also clean install of 10: Hello! Please help me to understand what is the problem - why PC keeps getting "Your PC ran into a problem..."? Win10Old Minidumps.rar - minidumps from Windows 10 that was upgraded from Windows 8 Win10CleanInstall Minidumps.rar - minidumps from Windows 10 clean...
  9. Windows 10 Will upgrade from 9879 or clean install.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Will upgrade from 9879 or clean install.: Hello, I am not able to use any public build after 9879. If I upgrade it installs reboots then install drivers reboots try's to boot then reverts. If I do a clean install it will install and reboot then asks for users preferences or slandered. either one fails I think it...
  10. Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions

Clean install windows 10 with 8 partitions: Hi everyone, i've upgraded from windows 8.1 with uefi bios, so basically now i can do clean install 10 without product key? But the real question is: My pc have 8 partitions, the primary one, 5 of recovery, 1 oem and 1 efi. Can i delete all partitions and create only one?...