Windows 10: Clean install of windows 10 = to preloaded OS on a new unit

Discus and support Clean install of windows 10 = to preloaded OS on a new unit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HP Envy on sale. I am looking at buying this new PC that still has the Windows 8.1 I am wondering if a should wait until the new PC's come out with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Johannes, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Johannes Win User

Clean install of windows 10 = to preloaded OS on a new unit

HP Envy on sale.
    I am looking at buying this new PC that still has the Windows 8.1
    I am wondering if a should wait until the new PC's come out with the pre-loaded Windows 10 or does that not make any difference in regard to left over reg. files and other parts of crap soft ware.

:)

Johannes, Sep 27, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive

Don't try to copy the old OS from the HDD, it is much better to clean install Windows 10 on the SSD

If you do not have Windows 10 Installation Media Click HERE to download the Media Creation Tool (Click
    on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 4GB) using that tool or create the ISO file which you can later burn to DVD

Once you have the bootable installation media created:

• Shut down your system. remove the old HDD and install the SSD (there should be only the SSD attached to your system during the installation process)
    • Insert the Bootable Installation Media
    • Go into your BIOS and if SATA Mode is not set to AHCI, change it
    • Change the boot order so the Installation Media is top of the boot order
    • Save changes to BIOS and Reboot your system
    • The Installation should start
    • During the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will have a digital entitlement
      stored on the Microsoft Servers
    • During the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again -
      do not remove the installation media at this point
    • When Window 10 has finished installing and the desktop appears, shut your system down
    • If you have a second HDD bay install the old HDD into it and start your system
    • Make sure you can see both drives in Windows File Explorer, if not you may need to restart a couple of times for Windows to recognise both drives
    • Install any required drivers (can be obtained from the support page on the Website of the manufacturer of your system
    • When your system is up and running,
    • copy your data (files, images, music . . . etc.) from the old HDD into a temporary folder in the SSD
    • format the old HDD and name it Data Drive
    • copy the files back onto the old HDD
    • Delete the temporary folder from the SSD

That's It!

DaveM121, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windwos 10 OS on old hard drive

I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on a new ssd and make this the boot drive. I would like to keep the old WD 1T hard drive as a storage drive. What is the best/easiest procedure for extracting the old windows 10 OS from the old hard drive.
    I'm not sure that I know how to properly identify the OS files.

ThomasSchlimmer, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

if you purchase it with windows 8.1 - once you get it - Create a recovery drive..
    this will save your factory windows 8.1 setup to USB or DVD.. just in case you needed it later..
    Upgrade your factory win8.1 to win10 via the ISO upgrade method and get windows 10 activation..
    You have now upgraded your factory 8.1 bloatware to windows 10..
    Create a backup image of your win10 upgraded bloatware using marcium reflect > Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Now you can clean install win8.1 or windows 10 and do away with all the factory bloatware,
    but you will have both windows 8.1 factory and windows 10 factory images..

You get two OS's for the price of one..

But, if you wait for Windows 10 via OEM > OEM windows 10 does not include downgrade rights.. you only get one OS

5. Johannes Win User
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    I would have no interest in Windows 8.1 and would get the store install the/update the Windows 10. I am just concerned that it would leave crap ware from 8.1 At present I have Vista premium. thus I am not familiar with the 8.1 anyway.

Johannes, Sep 27, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    After the upgrade from 8.1 factory to Windows 10, then you can do a clean install of Windows 10 - select custom install, delete all the partitions on the hard drive and let Windows 10 install take care of the rest. When you delete all the partitions on the hard drive at the beginning of the install - you won't get any trace of Windows 8.1 left - except for the product key stored in bios.

In fact, it would probably be easier to get a 100% vanilla install of Windows 10 coming from an 8.1 factory computer than it would be from a Windows 10 factory computer.

NavyLCDR, Sep 27, 2015
  7. If you'd prefer to save yourself some time and skip having to upgrade, activate, wipe then reinstall in order to get a clean Windows 10 installation, google "How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without to go through the upgrade process itself with ease" (yes, with the grammatical error!)

It was originally posted at MDL I believe, but has since been reposted elsewhere. Following the instructions should allow you to skip the "upgrade" step and still have a fully genuine, activated clean install of Windows 10.

xtcrefugee, Sep 27, 2015
  8. Johannes Win User

Thank you all for the replies. Since I am inept at doing these procedures, I shall ask the "Geek squad" from Bestbuy store people to do it for me.
    At least I am now happy to know that no junk from previous OS will stay on it.

Johannes, Sep 27, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would be willing to bet that most of us on this forum would agree that is about the worst option you could pick. Think of it this way... nearly 100 million computers have been successfully upgraded to Windows 10 by owners just like you. We here on this forum can and are willing to walk you through step by step what you need to do to get exactly what you want.

NavyLCDR, Sep 27, 2015
  10. Johannes Win User
    So you figure that I should try it myself? If so, once I have the PC, I shall come back again if I encounter a problem. Thanks.

Johannes, Sep 27, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    Just an update - Brink put up a Tutorial for this last week: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Word Man, Sep 27, 2015
  12. Johannes Win User
    Thanks, I am getting the PC in a few hours, so I shall study the tutorial in the mean time.

Johannes, Sep 28, 2015
  13. Clean install of windows 10 = to preloaded OS on a new unit

Remember to activate your 8.1 online before doing the rest of that tutorial, it doesn't mention that explicitly.

xtcrefugee, Sep 28, 2015
  14. Johannes Win User
    Would the suggestion in post five be easier for me to do? I have a form of dyslexia and have a problem with reading instructions.

Johannes, Sep 28, 2015
  15. Brink's guide will probably be easier for you to follow as it's nicely formatted and includes pictures, etc. But I see he's missed another thing unfortunately, from steps 7 to 11 you should NOT be connected to the internet. Only connect after step 11, when you've copied GenuineTicket.xml and rebooted.

xtcrefugee, Sep 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Clean install of windows 10 = to preloaded OS on a new unit - Similar Threads - Clean install preloaded

2. Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD on the same Laptop with Digital Licence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD on the same Laptop with Digital Licence: I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on a new SSD. My current HDD is the boot drive with the Windows 10 Digital Licence. What is the best way to transfer my boot drive to the new SSD without losing my Digital License?I tried creating a Windows 10 Installation Media...
  3. How to install clean new windows 10 ?

How to install clean new windows 10 ?: This is what I have installed now on my machine :Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎02/‎05/‎2021 OS build 19043.1052 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 When I downloaded the tool file from the Microsoft site and then ran it to create a...
  4. Can i clean install windows 10 2004 on "unsupported unit"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i clean install windows 10 2004 on "unsupported unit": this may sound a bit stupid to ask but stay with me alright. I need to reinstall windows, I do this one's a year, to ensure maximum performance. Can I just install 2004 even though I get the "this unit isn't quite ready yet" inside windows update on 1909? Or do I have to...
  5. Windows 10 preloaded

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 preloaded: Hi, so i bought a laptop from a guy , i understood that it has windows 10 already preloaded on it so i don t need a cd or usb , it s a lenovo t420 , but the guy pulled the hdd out of the laptop to keep it , now i m confused like how to activate windows from bios (if i have...
  6. Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD

Clean Install of Windows 10 on new SSD: Howdy, I want to do a nice fresh install of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD but am just a bit confused on how I should go about it and what it entails. To be specific, I have 4 drives (2 HDD, 2 SSD) in my PC and was wondering if the data is kept on the other 3 drives (that...
  7. Clean install windows 10 on new hdd

Clean install windows 10 on new hdd: Step by Step clean install windows 10 on brand new hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-windows-10-on-new-hdd/ea44534d-7c75-469b-adf6-45d18a481b0d
  8. Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windows 10...

Clean install of windows 10 OS on new SSD-best procedure for eliminating current windows 10...: My BIOS doesn't have option to change from IDE to AHCI, so does this mean I can't use SSD as boot drive for Window 10 ? It is a Foxconn motherboard with BIOS dating back to 2008. The SSD is formatted to MBR with no partitions....
  9. Clean Install of OS

Clean Install of OS: I have a Dell PC that is running very slowly on W10 After all usual stuff, clearing junk, defrag etc., still not good enough - as its currently on an old HDD, going to install an SSD for the OS. Been advised to do a clean install rather than clone across an OS that might...
  10. Windows 10 clean install on new PC?

Windows 10 clean install on new PC?: I just got a brand new lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro, pre-installed at delivery. This is the first time I have considered a clean install to remove any unwanted bloatware or software. But after some research I can't tell if it is necessary? I have no data on this machine...