Windows 10: Clean Install of Windows 10

Discus and support Clean Install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Some weeks ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 and everything seemed to be OK. However, I recently ran into s few problems and now want to redo the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bluenose1940, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Clean Install of Windows 10

Some weeks ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 and everything seemed to be OK. However, I recently ran into s few problems and now want to redo the clean install. I have the necessary USB stick which I used to do the first installation and I am now trying to use it again by changing the boot options on starting up my pc. Each time that I have tried this within the last half an hour, as the machine starts up it opens up a version of Macrium Reflect which is a bought and paid for version on my pc. I don't know why this is happening and so I have uninstalled the programme for the time being but, despite the fact that I have removed it, the same thing keeps happening. Interestingly, when it does open up, the on screen image is in large type just like when you have loaded Windows but before you have amended the screen resolution. Also for some reason, a couple of times when I have pressed F12 to get at the boot options, it hasn't let me in to make the changes and the machine has just booted up in the normal way and so I have just kept trying and eventually it does allow me to make the change but then I get the aforementioned problem with Macrium Reflect appearing. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

:)

Bluenose1940, Jun 3, 2016

2. Clean install of Windows 10

Eeschwar , Thanks for the fast reply and the link you refered me to Windows 10 herunterladen
    it explained everything I needed.

Again thanks very much ...Dan

Dan MacDonald55, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Clean install of Windows 10

Original Title: Win 10 upgrade

Now that I have upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10

I see by right clicking "This PC" it shows a win 10 product ID number.

Does this mean now that I have upgraded Win 7 and have a product

ID number that I can reinstall on a clean drive (same computer)?

My Win 7 install was a little buggy before the upgrade and I would like

a fresh install on an SSD drive. I was told win 7 would no longer work

after the upgrade so reinstalling win 7 before win 10 may not be possible.

Dan MacDonald55, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Clean Install of Windows 10

Make sure you are using the right USB flash drive. It sounds like you are booting a Macrium Reflect rescue drive.

If you can boot normally, insert the flash drive and look at it, contents should be similar to this:

Clean Install of Windows 10 [​IMG]

dates and times will be different of course.

Ztruker, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Thank you for coming in on my problem, much appreciated.

I am hoping that I have managed to attach an image of what is on the USB stick. If it doesn't appear correctly, I can tell you that it is very similar to what you have shown in your reply.

6. WinKey + r
    [ msconfig ]

On the Services tab: Hide all MS services, disable all non-MS Services
    On the Startup Tab / TaskMgr: Disable all except Antivirus

Then cold start the machine - shutdown, not restart

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is there an install.wim file in the sources folder on the USB flash drive? That certainly does NOT appear to be a standard Windows 10 installation flash drive.

I came within a few NM of becoming a bluenose in the 90's but they wouldn't give us permission to cross over :-<

NavyLCDR, Jun 3, 2016
  8. Clean Install of Windows 10

Hello folks, would it be easier for me to sort this if I download the Media Creation Tool again and start from scratch?

9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Probably! Clean Install of Windows 10 :) I notice you have a drivers folder on your USB flash drive - you might want to copy that to your hard drive. After the Media Creation Tool creates a new Windows 10 USB flash drive - copy that back to it. It won't affect the Windows 10 installation booting, but it might have drivers you need for your computer after Windows 10 installs.

Oh...make sure to download the latest version of the media creation tool so you also get the latest download of Windows 10...

Windows 10

The Media Creation Tool does not "auto update" itself.

NavyLCDR, Jun 3, 2016
  10. Thank you so much for all this info. Sorry to appear dim, but how can I ensure that I am getting the latest media creation tool and the most recent issue of Windows 10

Bluenose1940, Jun 4, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Download a new Media Creation Tool from the website linked to.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  12. In my Download file I have two items, one is the Media Creation Tool and the other is Windows. When I open the Creation Tool and I tell it that I want the USB option, a message tells me that it can't find a USB and yet it is showing in the directory tree as drive M. What is the best way to transfer the Media Creation Tool to the USB stick? I did think that I could just copy and paste it. Any ideas please?

13. NavyLCDR New Member

I would install MiniTool Partition Wizard and use that to examine the USB flash drive. You will want to delete all partitions on the flash drive, make sure it is set for MBR type partitioning, and create 1 FAT32, primary partition on it. You will also want to right click on the new partition and click "Set Active." Make sure to click the apply button in MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

After doing the above, the Media Creation Tool should see the USB flash drive. You say you have the Media Creation Tool downloaded and Windows. Is the Windows that you have downloaded the ISO file that the latest Media Creation Tool just downloaded? If it is, then you do not need to download another copy of Windows just to make the USB flash drive. Just right click on the Windows ISO file, select Mount. A new virtual DVD drive will open, with it's own drive letter. Copy all the files and folders from the virtual DVD drive to the USB flash drive. That will recreate it for you without having to download a whole new Windows 10 at 3.5 GB every time you download it.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  14. Hi again, thanks for being so helpful. This morning I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and it seems that the Windows file also came with it. I then went back to the Microsoft site and downloaded just the ISO File.

Hopefully you will be able to see the image that I have attached below which shows what I have in my 'Download' file at the moment. You will see that the ISO file that I downloaded is bigger than the one that came with the Media Creation Tool.

I have formatted the USB drive and so there is nothing on it at the moment but the system still isn't seeing it.

15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is it plugged into a black USB 2.0 port and not a blue USB 3.0 port? What part of "the system" still isn't seeing it? If it just isn't showing up in file explorer - that was probably my mistake, go back to MiniTool Partition Wizard or disk management and right click on the partition on the USB flash drive and assign a drive letter to it. Again, don't forget to click apply.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Clean Install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Clean Install

2. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  3. Windows 11 clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  4. Windows 11 clean instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  5. Windows 11 clean instal

Windows 11 clean instal: I am following the windows 11 clean install directions via this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsinsider/cleaninstallI've installed Windows 11 onto the USB drive. When I hold shift when restarting and go into recovery mode, i am stuck on the "choose option" page....
  6. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  7. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  8. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  9. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  10. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...